“There's got to be better than this”

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 20, 2005

The Hyatt Grand Champion is not the place to be in the summertime. They obviously discount the rates, so the crowd that would normally head to the Motel 6 end up here instead. The pool area was packed at midafternoon, despite having numerous pools, and the water was a rather disconcerting color. One pool had been closed down altogether as I suspect some kid left a Baby Ruth behind. Speaking of kids, they were everywhere! If you are looking for a little adult R & R, this is not the resort for you. And now I have to say a word about their "resort fee." Every guest is charged $14 per night as a "resort fee"--this is a fee for use of the pool, tennis courts, ping pong table, etc. Never mind if you actually used any of this stuff. Shouldn't the amenities of a resort be included in the basic room charge? What's next, a toilet flushing fee? And the rooms themselves, while spacious, were not what I would consider resort quality. Back to the title of my review--there has got to be better than this.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank mannyjack
Write a ReviewReviews (2,641)

Reviewed August 1, 2005

Here is the good and bad of the Hyatt Grand Champions. Rooms are a spacious 550sf which easily fit our family of 5. Rooms are hard to come by in Palm Springs for 3 children. The room had 2 double beds and a queen sofa bed. You can add a refridgerator for free and they have free self-parking. We were able to get a rate from Travelzoo for $79.00 for a garden room and at the hotel they upgraded us to a room right off the pool for free. However, they do charge a $14.00 resort free. In July, it was not at all crowded and the pool works well for families but also has an adult only area. The only downside was that our room was dirty. Stains on the towels and sheets, the floor had crumbs on it, the patio had not been cleaned and the vanity had stains on it. However, when I spoke to a manager they apologized, re-cleaned the room, gave us one of our nights for free and waived the resort fees. I was very impressed with the follow through and would stay there again!

Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank Sheri P
A TripAdvisor Member
Rotherham England
Reviewed August 1, 2005

Great hotel, great rooms, great service and very good value. Hotel wasn't crowded when we stayed, and obviously July is out of season due to heat (116 F). Went with wife and two teenage kids and ended up staying an extra night we enjoyed so much. Great finish to our trip to California.

Golf was also excellent value at adjoining course, but really hot to play.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 19, 2005

Stayed here over the fourth of July weekend and was very happy with every
thing overall.
The rooms were very impressive and it had oversized bathrooms with large showers and separate bath tubs.
The adult pool was great but also offered kids pool and activites which was a plus.
The grounds are beautiful along with the spa and gym.
Will definitely stay here again.

2  Thank sanitamarie
Reviewed July 9, 2005

We just returned from the Hyatt. We spent one night there and will return. Here's is a quick summary of our stay:

Room
Our room was very spacious and modern. The bathroom was huge and very nicely done. The bed was a little hard, but very comfortable overall. We requested a refrigerator for our room, and they delivered it with no charge.

Pool
The adult pool was great. It was crowded, but what can you expect with 105 degree temperatures? The pool bar was good. The scenary around the pool was fantastic.

Location
The hotel is about 30 minutes away from Palm Springs, so late night fun is a little tough to find.

Staff
Everyone that we met was very nice.

7  Thank Packinmybags8181
Reviewed July 8, 2005

MY wife and I wanted to have a weekend getaway, a date of sorts. The experience was outstanding! The service, from the lobby staff to the parking attendants, was very courteous and friendly.
Our room was on the first floor by the pool which made it easy to start the water fun. Anyway, this was the cleanest, fanciest and friendliest luxory resort we've ever stayed at. It was very hot, but worth the stay. We also played golf there at the Indian Wells golf resort, literally a stones through away. Very nice course.
We would highly recommend this resort.

5  Thank Frank R
Reviewed June 29, 2005

Having a very stressful job, I was looking forward to some R & R and decided on a spontaneous trip to the Palm Springs area...booked this hotel off of Hotwire for $108/night (which I guess is a good deal considering the on-season rates). However, I was wary from the get-go when the hotel was significantly discounted on all the travel websites compared to adjacent hotels. Needless to say, the Hyatt was booked solid through the weekend. The room itself was very nice and clean, newly remodeled with a great bathroom. Even the parking lot views are nice with the mountains in the background. However, that is where the fun ends. I have stayed at many resorts, and I have NEVER been to a pool complex that was more crowded than this one. Getting pool chairs is similar to finding a parking spot in the middle of Manhattan. The pools themselves were filled with people...most of them were dirty and none of them were very big...and one pool had to get shut down because one kid crapped in the pool. If I wanted this, I'd stay at home...wait my complex's pool is cleaner and less crowded than the Hyatt! Had to actually walk to the bar and a flag a waitress down, since they never had any pool service. The adult pool was a joke, i've seen wading pools bigger than this. They need to seriously remodel the pool complex. I don't know what the adult pool is usually like, but it was filled with so many damn people (real obnoxious ones at that ) it reminded me of spring break. Yuck. If you want nightlife, good luck...Palm Springs is a good half hour away and by the time you get back for the night there's no self parking - so you have to deal with the rent-a-cops and part in the valet lot. The rent-a-cop gestapo are ridiculous...i guess they are not used to people staying out past 11pm. In typical nickel-and-dime Hyatt fashion, there is a $14 resort fee tacked onto the nightly rate...so ya, the workout facility is nice, but you're paying for it. In addition, you actually have to call the front desk for the housekeeping staff to place fresh towels and linens in the room (I guess it is standard procedure there to change the towels and linens once every three days..yuck!). I change my towels more often in my own house. Was so irritated by the trip my friend and I ended up checking out at 8 am on Sunday....hope other people have a better experience here than I did..won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2005
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!