“A lovely stay.”

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 5, 2008

My husband and I went to the hotel for just one night for our anniversary away from the kids. We did the spa package. It was a very nice hotel. Very clean, quiet, good restaurant, and great service. We felt very well taken care of.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 29, 2008

This place was perfect for our family. Our two kids loved the water slide and the kids club. They have bikes available at no charge to tootle around on. The food is good, though we went out for dinners just to get off campus a bit. It's not super, super luxe, but it's very comfortable and makes for a relaxing break.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 18, 2008

Great property, we knew the area from a previous visit to Palm Desert and were not disappointed by the location. The spa was wonderful, great facilities but most of the kudos needs to go to the very capable staff and the relaxed, understated and totally comfortable atmosphere. The hotel was also just fine, the only exception to this blissful experience was the reception at the front desk as we checked in... suffice it to say that some people are not front desk material...The potentially less than desirable location of the room originally offered was quickly corrected by a perfectly courteous manager on duty. I was on a spa break with my daughter and would recommend the place to anyone with one comment: avoid booking "garden/mountain view" rooms. This is a euphemism for driveway and parking lot vistas. The other aspects of the property: golf course or swimming pool are too good to pass up.

• Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank earthtravelers
Reviewed April 9, 2008

We (myself & husband ) decided to take advantage of our son visiting his grandparents for Spring Break. So, we used Hyatt points and booked a Club Level room at the Grand Champions for one night. I read lots of reviews here at TA and was well aware the negative and positive reviews. So, with that I think I'll list it by pro and con.
PRO: Nice check-in. We were playing golf at Rancho Las Palmas, tee time 11:00am Sunday April 6th. Of course we knew our room would not be ready. But, the woman took my cell # and said she'd let us know when it would be cleaned and ready to check in. Surprise...at 11:30 I got the call that said our room was ready to go! We were informed that all Club Level Rooms on the 5th floor were full, but we got a Club room on the 4th floor, overlooking the golf course, as requested.

PRO: Poolside servers were friendly, smiling and quick to serve. Erick, our server, greeted us by name as we passed by the pool on our way to check out. Pretty cool..he had only seen us one time and yet new our name and greeted us as such. That's the Hyatt service we've come to expect.

CON: The Concierges. Boy, if you don't like your job here find another place to work. This is not typical of the other Hyatt's we've been to...serious attitude here!
E-Concierge: Hyatt.com sent an email confirmation and included a suggestion to visit E-Concierge. I ordered Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to surprise my husband. When we returned from golf our goodies were inside waiting.
My problem: There was a problem ordering the items via the E-Concierge. So, I called the Hyatt directly and spoke to a woman who assured me she'd handle my order. She confirmed the order with her first name.
While reviewing our account on the tv, we saw that the order was $88. However, according to E-Con. the price was $45. Again, we went down to the Front Desk, they got out the paperwork and credited our account immediately.
My suggestion: Double check your purchases while still at the hotel.

PRO: The Concierges in the Club Level Lounge. Very helpful and friendly service.

CON: The "Light Snack and Refreshments" in the Club Lounge. We were greeted with something like "Welcome, help yourself to cookies and lemonade." Whaat??? Oh ya, they had dried cranberries, small snack size pretzels, and one kind of cookie. Lemonade, ice water, coffee and tea. Help!

PRO: "Deluxe Continental Breakfast" Choice of english muffins, bagels, toast, croissants, pastries, muffins, fresh fruit, cream cheese, lox, turkey, ham, cheeses, different juices.

PRO: Our room: We liked the step down 'living room' that others have written about. Our room was clean, bathroom was very clean, nice water pressure. Same nice bathroom amenities that I enjoy in other Hyatt's. Thick bath robes, just would suggest getting a spa/waffle robe for this resort as it is in the desert.

CON: What IS up with the air conditioning in this room?? It truly is loud, off 'n on all day and night. Management do something.
Balcony: We had our golf course view, but then we also had a view of every balcony to our left and right. Absolutely NO privacy. Please, please, put up lattice partitions or plants or something.
Where is the Hyatt Bed (forget what it's called), but Hyatt knows it...please upgrade. We are not big tv watchers on vacations, but their big boxy tv needs to go. Flat Screen TV would go nicely where they've hung a framed mirror over the dresser.
Mini-Bar: Well, we finally encountered one of those "pick it up and you pay for it" mini-bar. I did pick up a bottle of Vox vodka, as it was tall and skinny neck, didn't know what it was, so I looked. Ooop....my bad...but I took it to the front desk and they credited our account.
All in all, we had a wonderful little getaway. The weather was perfect, the golfing was fantastic, we enjoyed the beautiful pool area. I wouldn't use my points again to upgrade to Club Level, just not worth it. And, I and my husband agree that we would not go back to this Hyatt.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Markmom18
Reviewed April 7, 2008

My husband and I just returned from three nights at the Hyatt Grand Champions. We both feel that our experience was very average, and if we return to the area we'll most likely try another resort. We booked a pool view King, but next time will book a golf course view for a view of the beautiful course. Here are our pros and cons:

Pros:

- Resort grounds are pretty and well maintained
- Adult-only pool was tranquil and a nice feature
- Plenty of shade around pools
- Free bike rentals and fun games on lawn
- Rate was reasonable ($249 plus $25/day resort credit to use for food, spa, etc)
- Free self-parking

Cons:

- Bed was hard and uncomfortable
- Air conditioning clicked (loudly) on and off all night, no matter what temp it was set on
- Housekeeping was slow to respond to requests
- Service at pool was slow as well: once we asked for a lunch menu poolside, it took 45 minutes for the waitress to come back and get our order
- Room, overall, was a little outdated and uninviting

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AllieBrookie
Reviewed April 2, 2008

This hotel has many good attributes. Nice grounds, great location. We stayed here for 3 nights with my 9 year old son. The pool side service is top notch most of the time. The restaurant is not very good at all. The rooms need improvement. There is something though about this hotel that works. I cannot describe it.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2008

We just returned from 7 nights at the Grand Champions for spring break/ Easter vacation and suffice it to say, we will not return here. Yes, the grounds are beautiful and the golf was fantastic, but the hotel is run down, the employees are clueless and careless, food is marginal and pricey and service within the hotel or at the pool is marginal. Upon check-in they did not have a King room with a step down living room available (as requested on mulitple occassions) so they put us in a hotel room by the villas. Room was brand new and quite nice, but very far away from the pool and main hotel (need them to shuttle you around) so we moved mid-stay- a pain for a family of 4. However, if you can afford it, the actual villas looks quite nice abliet a hike to the pool/ main hotel. The room we moved into at the main building was bigger and had a patio. The a/c worked but was terribly noisy- and on and off every 5 minutes (seriously every 5 minutes).

The 7 pools were nice, but small. Kids (4 and 6) loved the pool slide and had a great time at the Hyatt Camp. The play fountains are freezing so no kids play in them. Pool was crowded, tough to get chairs. Pool food service was slow and it was tough to find a waiter, however it was also a very busy time of year for them. Towel service and sunscreen products were a nice touch and very convenient.

Consierge service was horrific- so bad that I was in fact hung up on one evening simply asking for dining recommendations. After 2 bad experiences with the consierge desk, we just figured out things on our own.

Dining options were poor- we ate out mostly and I would recommend for nice yet casual family dining that is nearby (need a car) Don Diegos, Sammy wood fired pizza, Tommy Bahama Cafe, and (though a little nicer) the sea bass at Pacifica was scrumptious.

Business office was a waste. My husband had to do some work and they office was conveniently closed, even though they said they are open M-F 8am-5pm. So we had to wait around 20 minutes for someone let us into the office to simply print out a document (because of course the consierge couldn't help us with this either- basically a "too bad I can't help you attitiude").

Summed up, we have about 2 weeks a year to vacation as a family. When we do it, we like to do it right. Spend the money and go somewhere nice. This is not worth even half of what we spent- and given that our time and money are valuable there are far too many other options out there than to waste your dollars at this particular Hyatt.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!