“Unfriendly staff, rooms vary.”

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My tennis family has stayed here three times because of it's proximity to Indian Wells Tennis Garden. That said, every time we've been there, there have been serious problems. We once had a room that was horrible and the reservation desk openly told us they put us in the "worst room in the hotel." Shocking. Then a waiter was VERY rude to us for room service. Housekeeping refused to replenish some toiletries that we needed on a different stay. There is more, but suffice to say, I have never booked a stay that was trouble free, let alone pleasant. Also, since we are a tennis family, we have been told within the tennis community that the top tennis pros refuse to stay at this hotel when they come to the Indian Wells tournament. If you see a top tennis player one year, it's a guarantee you will not see them at this hotel again the next year. It always feels like a gamble when we make a reservation. Will this stay be different? We will give them one more try for the 2013 tournament, and then if nothing has improved we shall stay somewhere else next year.

Room Tip: Always request a quiet room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PK M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,578)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights on a business trip. It was your typical high-end resort with all the additional fees. The rooms were kept nice and clean. The one major downside for me was having to wait over 20 minutes for the water to get warm in the shower (first time only). Also, the thermostats do not go below 65* and the room seemed to be very warm. My favorite part of the whole stay had to be the bed - it was super comfortable!!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This isn't a full hotel review as I only visited the Spa while staying at a house rental in Palm Springs, BUT I felt strongly enough about the Spa and service, I felt a review was in order. First of all, the self parking lot was full so I was directed to Valet, which was complimentary (check #1), it was a quick walk to the Spa and I was greeted promptly and warmly (check #2). The spa facilities are adequate and the outside sun area is quite nice if you are in the sun, a bit chilly not in the sun. I chose a 90 minute custom facial and my Aesthetician was Alma and she was really, really, really good at what she does. She was pulling out facial massage tricks that I had never experienced and I also received a foot scrub and massage as well. You could completely tell she has a plethora of experience. The other Spa staff were wonderful and helpful as well and I give this experience a very high rating. The Valet staff were also prompt and very friendly and helpful. From my experience, the Hyatt does customer service very well, would highly recommend!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank bridgton
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Very nice property. LARGE rooms, pleasant staff, great bar for dancing at night. I did not use the spa, pool, etc. but really liked the location in Indian Wells (very close drive or taxi for El Paseo). The bar at night turns into a mini club with a fun band. Breakfast was great in the restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My recent stay was even better than past business experiences I have had at this very nice property. The convenience of having a Convention Center across the street is so wonderful. The rooms are spacious, clean, and the bathroom is fantastic -- great shower, extra large, tub too! And, my most crucial requirement: powerful internet! The quality of service matches 5 star properties at much higher rates.

Room Tip: Make sure you look towards the pool. Although there are not many "bad" views here.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed in a Two-bedroom Villa which was very spacious with a large terrace that had a plunge pool and a barbecue. The resort is very spread out and you have to ask for a golf cart shuttle to bring you to the villa (especially in Sept with killing heat outside). Our terrace was private, no one could see us in our pool. The plunge pool was the highlight of our stay, we could decide to plunge in at 6am, while we wouldn't have wanted to walk all the way to the regular pools. The two bathrooms were very nice with double sinks and separate shower & bath. The restaurant was good but the menu didn't seem to have a lot of variety. The settings around the desert mountains of Palm Springs is exotic for us Canadians.

The town of Indian Wells is very nice and clean, it is better than Palm Springs which seems run down a bit...

We will be back if we ever visit this region again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank martinbutler888
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Just completing a week-long stay here for a conference. I stayed twice last year as well. This year, I had a room on the club level, which was quite roomy. No real complaints about the regency club - though I didn't use it much because of the conference I was attending. It was a good place to grab a snack, bottled water, juice, etc.

The positives:
- I unexpectedly arrived at the hotel quite early, and when I went to pre-register, my room was ready.
- Grounds look beautiful. Pools are nice, but it's not peak pool season and I was working, so I can't speak to how busy they get.
- Staff was friendly, and for the most part seemed to really try to help.

Annoying negatives:
- The room feels worn. Small, but noticeable enough, stains on carpet, upholstery, even the curtains have what look to be patches of mildew?
- The HVAC in the room was rather noisy. So much so that it woke me up several times each night. I'm usually quite a sound sleeper, even in hotels.
- Outlets - not enough in the room (No free outlets by the desk! Good thing I bring a multi-outlet adapter so I could plug in my laptop and work, while not disabling the desk lamp). They clearly had complaints about this, as there was a power strip by the bed with the desk lamp and clock plugged into it. Good so I could plug in my phone, but was a bit cheesy (phone wire running under the rug right next to it.
- My room didn't have the hotel information folder in it (including room service menu, hotel amenities, etc). I asked each day for one to be brought but never received it.
- Parking - at some points, self-park was full. This was always when I was leaving, but I wonder how they handle it at the valet - can you valet at self-park rates?
- I went to watch TV before bed, and had "no signal" on any channel on my TV. I checked the cable, it was plugged in. I called down and asked them to look at it the next day while I was out of my room. I returned to my room and there was a brand new TV - which mostly works - but some channels (ESPNews, for example) had audio but no video. The maintenance staff left a few zip ties and screws on the floor. No big deal, as I was trying to avoid walking around barefoot (see comment on stained carpet above).

I'll probably stay here again if I return to a conference at the location. Last time I was upgraded to a Villa on one stay and it was significantly cleaner and more comfortable. I'd hope for the same. I stayed one night before this stay at the Westin Mission Hills and preferred that resort. But it's a bit of a drive between hotels, which I didn't want to deal with during the conference.

Room Tip: Go for a villa if you can afford it - much better shape.
1  Thank sam1am
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!