“Great service, friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ashland, Oregon, US
“Great service, friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family spent four nights here during the holidays. Our rooms were large, very clean and comfortable and quiet. However, the mattresses and bedding weren't quite five-star caliber. Comfortable, but not deluxe. Likewise with the towels.

On the positive side, common areas, pools and grounds are pretty and well maintained. And the pools are nicely heated, which is a must in the colder seasons! The staff, everyone from the bellmen to the waitresses to the maids, are really friendly and helpful.

We ate in the hotel restaurant a couple of times for breakfast and once for lunch. We were all pleased with our selections. For a resort, prices were reasonable, and the menu featured a lot of healthy and local options. Again, the staff was very accommodating and helpful.

On two of the nights we were there, the self-parking lot was full. If this happens, do not do what we did the first night and park in the fire lane. The city WILL ticket you. The second night, we went to valet parking. If the self-park lot is full, they'll park you there for the same rate as at the self-park if the lot is full.

Overall, this is a nice place for a pleasant getaway. The hotel is about 30 minutes from downtown Palm Springs, but it's easy enough to get there, and it's nice to be away from the hustle and bustle.

Room Tip: Our king room cost the same as our room with two queens--and was much bigger.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

The lobby looks wonderful and the new gift shop and snack area are a great improvement. The service in the bar area was extremely slow and way to dark for eating my food. The pizza was good and the salad not so much. We were still hungry and went over to the restaurant and the soup and polenta and service was great! Also breakfast was good and great service.

Overall, the staff was much nicer and courteous. Evan, your bell hop was excellent! The valet guys were super! The grounds were much cleaner and tidier than before.

Now to the Regency Club. I saw only one change here. There were jars of snacks. Those jars looked as if they needed a desprate bath. I arrived for in time for happy hour. The selection was odd. Large onions and tomatoe halfs barely roasted? Some cheese, something hot, one cracker selection covered in sunflower seeds. Again, ice bucket on top of a high shelf, soda and water, juices sitting warm on a shelf. Needless to say, a bottle of water was all I had. Came back later for desert. Horrible looking chocolate mouse cake and something the hostess stated was mystery cake. I do think you need a higher level staff member in your lounge. I have not found them to be up to par for the extra money you are paying for this service. I came back in the morning and the choice of breakfast foods were mediocre. People were grumbling about the poor toaster device and how long it was taking to toast their bread. I declined to eat here again. This service in my opinion would be a waste of your money.

Now for the room-it was cleaner. TV again is in an awkward place. Mounting it on the wall might be better. The rooms have not been upgraded yet. My suggestion would be change out the dated bathroom doors and that would make a world of difference. The bath towels again were thin and rough. The A/C was loud.
Overall this visit was a bit better than the last one, but still not up to my standards.

Room Tip: The fourth floor hallways tend to be hot, both during the summer and winter months.
1 Thank ziggy1214
london, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We have stayed here several times. The good points:
- Rooms are large, with comfortable beds and a nice sitting area;
- The 24/7 gym is well equiped, and the 3 or 4 classes a day are great;
- You can normally get a deal on the price.
Why is the hotel not excellent? Well, I echo the comments that others have made:
- The sound insulation is poor. The walls are thin, and the doors let sound in;
- The air conditioning is aged and noisy. You cannot control it well. This really lets down the hotel;
- The food at breakfast is not great. Very limited choice in comparison to other hotels (see my review of the Omni LA);
- The hotel has become dog friendly. Great for some dog owners - but not when a dog leaves a "present" on the grass outside your room and the owner doesn't pick up!
We love the location of this hotel, but it needs money spent on it.

Room Tip: First floor rooms and corridors are noisy.
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Just got back from four days here with my wife and two little kids. Every single employee we encountered – every waiter, manager, housekeeper, etc. – was genuinely friendly, efficient and professional. I've been to my share of ultra-high-end resorts, but our experience at the Hyatt was by far the best service I've ever received. I believe it even had a positive effect on the guests, because everyone seemed happy and said "hello" to each other.

Example: during breakfast, the water glass slipped out of our waiter's hand and broke on the table. No big deal at all. Immediately, the manager, Doug Mayhew, came over and promised to send something special to our room later. Sure enough, there was a knock at the door and in was brought a tray with candies, Voss waters, popcorn, a coupon for an on-demand movie, and a discount at the restaurant. My kids were delighted.

Beyond that, though, I wish I had written down the names of all the employees who served us because they were all amazing and deserve to be recognized. The waiter in the Agave bar, I think he was from Mexico City, played with our kids, getting them running around in the lobby. All the waiters, whether from dinner or breakfast, were very friendly and efficient. Just perfect service all-around.

I recommend visiting the Living Desert for a day. We also walked around El Paseo shopping district. My kids loved the hot tub. We also enjoyed the game area: foosball, mini golf and badminton.

All in all, I highly recommend the Hyatt for its cleanliness, fun family activities, and most of all, the incredible service of every employee.

San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

This place is supposed to be so i thought a luxury property. Here are my reasons why it is not:
1. Towels in bathroom is the same you'd find in any cheap hotel, stained, ripped, rough and gross
2. Carpet in room, stained and old
3. I'm a Platinum level hyatt guest and no water in room, no news paper at door
4. Self parking lot full
5. Only one bathrobe in room
6. No slippers
7. No mouth wash or other amenities in bathroom except tooth past and soap
8. very cheap fixtures in bathroom, toilet was the same quality you'd find from a cheap apartment
9. Wall paper torn and glued
10. Cheap plastic tub, not a soaker tub

This hotel is frankly nothing more than an expensive Holiday Inn without the free breakfast but much more expensive.

There are a few good things about this hotel:

1. Front desk staff friendly
2. Bell staff friendly
3. Cleaning staff did an excellent job

Had they put plush towels in the bathrooms and gave you a better in room feel i'd been much happier with this hotel and the price they charged but like most Hyatt's these day's they seem to look for every way to save a buck and that just doesn't make the guest feel that great about spending top dollar

• 4 of 5 bubbles
ServiceManager44600, Manager at Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Lew21,

I apologize for the disappointing stay you experienced here in December. It must have been so frustrating, especially as a Platinum Gold Passport member, to have so many items forgotten or of poor quality in your room. This is not the standard by which we operate nor is it what one would expect of a Hyatt hotel. Typically all of our rooms have 2 bathrobes and a full complement of bathrom amenities. Anything extra or forgotten at home can be requested and delivered within 15 minutes, such as mouthwash or slippers.I hope you will alert the hotel directly at qualitychamp@hyatt.com so we may have the opportunity to make things right with you. Thanks for raising the white flag!
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We just got back from another wonderful 3-night stay at the Hyatt Regency in Indian Wells. Family of 5, kids ranging from 6 to 13. It had been a few years since our last stay there.

Right off the bat, we noticed the improvements to the lobby and dining/lounge areas - the hotel has really worked hard to keep the resort fresh and up to date.

We stayed in the same villa we always get, and added a room to make it a 2 BD. Highly recommend the villas, which are really well priced for what you get. Our villa was big, clean and spacious - with a large living room/dining area in addition to the two big bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The ceilings are high, the bathrooms beautiful, and there are flat screen TVs everywhere. All the villas come with their own back yards, complete with a private jacuzzi, grill, and seating area. Our villa overlooked the resort's lake - just a gorgeous and relaxing setting, as we relaxed in our private jacuzzi overlooking the lake.

The service could not have been better. The front desk and concierge were terrific. Unlike many hotels, I had no problem reaching the concierge by phone, and she booked all of our dinners. The pool staff went out of their way to get us whatever we needed, from meals to towels to bikes - seriously, I have been to Four Seasons and Ritz Carltons all over the world and never received the kind of proactive personal attention we received here. The villas also come with butlers assigned to each cluster of villas, and our butlers were highly responsive as well on the three occasions we needed something.

We ate at the breakfast buffet all three mornings, and the dinner buffet on Christmas night. The buffets were excellent - we had zero complaints, other than my wife's nit-pick that oatmeal could have been better.

We did not use the spa, but did get the kids tennis lessons, which went well. We also went to the Palm Springs zoo/model train exhibition, and took the tram to the the top of the mountain, where the kids tobogganed. Snow play as well as swimming/tennis in the same trip - now that's variation!

We have found in past years that hotels tend to reduce their staffing levels around Christmas, but we saw no evidence of that here. As noted above, the staff went out of their way to make our visit enjoyable.

I feel like I am sounding like some sort of paid advertiser here - but I feel strongly that when a resort steps up to keep itself fresh, and trains its staff to put the guests first, it should get kudos. The bottom line: we had a really great trip and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Rent one of the newer villas - ask for a back yard overlooking the lake.
2 Thank WestLAFamily
Santa Clarita
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed there between 12-20 to 12-22. Everything was fine,except the noisy heating system. The heater in our room was not working when we got there, but the technicain fixed it in a timely manner. The outdated heater was very loud,we turned it off when the room was warm enough. To my disappointment, I could still hear annoying ambient noises from the central heating system. My husband was able to sleep through it because he was tired. I wanted to change the room, but I did not want to wake up my husband in the middle of the night. I stuffed my ears with cotton balls and covered my head with bath towel, in order to get through the night. If other visitors did not have this kind of noise issues, then they must have assigned the worst room to us. This hotel needs to improve the outdated central heating/cooling system and sound proof all the guest rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Beth C
ServiceManager44600, Manager at Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Beth,
I am so sorry to hear that you were unable to get a restful night's sleep! I can assure you we aren't aware of any particular rooms that operate in this manner, and all heating units in the rooms are between 2-10 years. If you have the opportunity to contact the hotel directly with your room number, I promise we will investigate this room to see if there is some adjustment that can be made. Staying in a resort should be restful and relaxing and I apologize that your stay did not reflect that. We look forward to hearing from you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Wells
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
#2 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!