“Simply Superb”

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Every encounter with every employee here is just simply a pleasure. From the time we were checked in by helpful Ashley, until we checked out the following afternoon, everything was great. Great tennis courts, great adult pool, and rarest of all - great poolside food. When ordering food at poolside, let's face it - we're a captive audience and many resorts respond by serving average or worse food. Not at the Indian Wells Hyatt. They did a great job on the food and the drinks are reasonably priced, considering the setting. Almost forgot to mention - booked thru Priceline, yet still got a room upgrade and was treated like a King! Best resort in the Palm Desert area.

Room Tip: Get a Hyatt credit card for automatic Platinum status, and they'll take care of you in every way...
1  Thank JakeSD

Reviewed November 20, 2012

The property is nice, the staff are very customer oriented; but, the bed linens are a disaster. They use flat sheets instead of fitted sheets and all night I was bunched up in a mess of sheets. Unable to rest comfortably -- it was simply said, a big disappointment!

Room Tip: Get a golf course view room rather than a pool view
1  Thank sfitzgibbons
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I attended a conference in Palm Springs but chose this hotel as it seemed to be a much nicer place for my girlfriend to keep herself occupied while I was busy. The resort and pool are sprawling, beautiful views and excellent breakfast. Regency Club is pretty much a joke, definitely wouldn't pay for it. Service was excellent, very friendly staff, rooms are nice but worn. Location is ~15mins away from the highway and ~30 to Palm Springs convention center.

Room Tip: We were in a "regency club" room but I believe the only difference is that it's on the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

A disappointment turned right side up!
Upon entrance to our room, I was appalled at the awful smell- a mixture of a toilet plumping issue and vomit it seemed - do not stay in 1250. HOWEVER, I called the front desk and they took care of getting us a new room immediately. We had new keys delivered to our new room down the hall within minutes. The following day we received an apology card with a box of candy and complimentary self parking.

Other than that the resort was great. They have running/walking trails, live entertainment in the main bar almost every night, the spa was perfect and their menu had a variety of food and the food was good.

The only suggest I have, is if you are in need of a Starbucks fix- or a good fresh cup of coffee- go to an actual Starbucks location, not to the Coffee Shop in the lobby. They have a Starbucks sign, so I assumed the Vanilla Latte I ordered was going to be made with Starbucks espresso, however, the Latte tasted almost like old coffee and was not what I am use to having when I need a my caffeine!

Room Tip: If you are staying for a conference, ask for a room near the convention center.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was going to rate this as a potentially "average" ranking, but in thinking about what this hotel/resort is supposed to be I could not rate it as an "average" for this class of resort. It should not be compared to a Holiday Inn Express, rather it should be compared to nicer spa hotels which are in it's price range and classification. If I were comparing it to a Holiday Inn Express then I would rate it above average. In comparing it to a comparable Resort & Spa (Four Seasons, or one of the many nice Resort/Spa experiences in Vegas), I have to be honest and say it's below average.

For that reason, I have to rate it as below average. It lacks some very key aspects and has some definite downgrades:

1. Appearance-wise it gets great marks. It looks good, the lobby restaurants and lounges are up to date and have a great look as well. The scenery is great and it is a very well done integration with the desert landscape. But, unfortunately, looks alone can't make up for the shortcomings

2. The room was fine, but the air conditioner was like something from the 1950's. Every time it turned on it make a loud BANG. We had to shut it off in order to sleep. In reading other reviews online, it seems this is just the norm.

3. Poor attention to detail, overall. This might seem inconsequential but a good example is the music they played at the pool and lounge. The pool music was loud and very outdated. It sounded like it was from the late 80's or 90's. Not relaxing and the wrong vibe. The music in the very nicely done Agave lounge was hilarious. They have this great layout with gas fire pits, modern gas heater/lamps outdoors, new modern decor inside, and a slick bar menu but they chase you away with the music. I mean, "Freebird", jimi hendrix, ?? Really? Once again, total vibe kill. Whoever was in charge of the ambience really missed the mark with that.

3. Just because I have money and can afford this place doesn't mean I like to get ripped off. Lots of examples of overcharging: Spa massage deal was not valid on Saturday... even though there was basically no one in the spa. The waitress at the lounge was very misleading when asked about happy hour pricing and inclusion. We ended up getting overcharged there. Parking was expensive. Spa prices were much higher than the level of quality warranted.

4. Spa was not up to par. Staff were kind when they saw you, but they were loud and immature (i.e. horsed around throwing towels at each other). The amenities in the spa were just average. Massage service was good, but not excellent.

I enjoyed my stay, but I expected much better.

1  Thank northoc1
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We spent two weekends during this summer at this Hyatt property and we were pleased with the choice. First time had a room on 4th level facing the main pools area, and from balcony had a great view of the surroundings; second time had a room in the villas, a bit remote from main building but well worth it. Rooms were well taken care of, sparkling clean, large an comfortable.
Liked the free breakfast for children under 5 and the fresh apples in the lobby
As a downer i'd mention the fact the pools were not heated during last trip at the end of Sept. Water felt cold and not inviting for a longer deep.

Room Tip: I would opt for the Villas room. Much larger and very nice, having own patio on the golf course
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LostAngeles
Reviewed November 17, 2012

It's my second stay in this hotel since last year.

Though it seems to me that the brand is changed to "Hyatt Regency", the quality of services remains excellent and I appreciate the service delivered by the Staff during my stay.

I stay in this hotel for 7 days because there is a conference meeting co-located in its convention center. My room is large, together with a comfortable sitting area, a very good golf view and a nice private balcony.

The facilities are great - I love the Gym and the swimming pools so much! The breakfast served in the restaurant Lantana is great though I am surprised the waiters are busy cleaning the tables and dishes that are supposed to be the dinner one day before. The drink served in the bar Agave Sunset and the sandwiches from Citrus are good as well.

Worth staying in this Hotel again ...!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!