“would not go back” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“would not go back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2008

Sorry to say that the hotel looked old and worn. The room bathroom was very good however. A/C was lousy. Every hotel room needs to be air conditioned because the air is foul and hot otherwise.
Almost no lifeguards, so most pools were closed. Bike rentals were
pathetic---some had no brakes, some had flat tires, so you could not rent them. Hotel site said I had a 'garden view', but it was a parking
lot with some palms in it.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Korean first
Hershey, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2008

The Hyatt Grand Champions is a beautiful resort. The grounds, pools, lobby, and rooms are wonderful. We had an incredibly relaxing stay and enjoyed the pools (especially the adult-only pool), bar, and restaurants. The bathroom and shower are wonderful, and the room sizes are impressive.

We have stayed in many beautiful hotels, and we enjoy quality service. We paid the rack rate - more than $350 per night for three nights of a get away vacation.

Several disturbing things happened during our stay. First, upon check-in at 4:30, we were told our pre-paid room was not ready. They didn't know when it would be ready. No offers for a place to change and freshen up or a drink. We had been travling since 5:00 a.m. from the east coast, so we were ready for some down time. Then the clerk told us that "we had a lot of late check-outs and early check-ins". Oh - and "you don't have a King, you'll have two double beds". We explained we prepaid for a King size bed, and my husband is 6'3", so a double bed for both of us is not an option.

The clerk said - "we don't have any". My husband then asked to speak to a manager. The clerk left and we stood in the lobby for 20 minutes (at least). The clerk finally returned, and very angrily gave us a King bed room.

When we were checking out - I overheard the woman in front of us charged $15 for a mini bar purchase. She claimed she did not use her mini bar. When we received our bill, we had a $12.93 tab for our mini-bar. We did not use our mini bar either. PLEASE look at your bill carefully if you stay at this hotel.
They deducted the costs from our bills.

The coffee bar in the lobby is open early every morning. However, every time I bought a cup of coffee, they were "out" of coffee. The coffee bar is set up awkwardly, because you pay at the register then turn around and fill your cup. Unfortunately, the staff must come from behind the counter to refill the coffee pots regularly (especially first thing in the morning). It became a running joke that they were always out of coffee. Also, the cost of two cups of regular coffee was a different price every day.

On Monday, Feb 18, the hotel had a large volume of check-outs. For more than 20 hours, dirty linens remained in the hallway outside of every checked-out room. In addition to the dirty linens, trash lined the hallways. This was disgusting. We walked down the hall past dirty laundry and bags of trash, dirty dishes, old food for more than one day of our stay. For a Hyatt Grand, this is unacceptable.

One room had left two bottles of alcohol, including a 3/4 full bottle of vodka. These bottles were placed in the hallway outside of a room- with the other trash. The bottles were there for more than 14 hours, until I finally picked up the vodka bottle and took it to a trash can myself. What if a young child had gotten in to the bottle - or - a teenager?

I asked to speak to a manager early in the morning of Tues, Feb 19, the young gentleman at the desk said that he would try to help me. I wanted the trash and filth in the hallways to be removed. It was cleared later in the day.

I think this resort needs to work on their guest relations skills. Although it is a beautiful facility, it is not even a 3 star quality hotel.

• Liked — Pools, Sun
  • Disliked — check-in, cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bhershey
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

The Hyatt Grand Champions was a wonderful way to enjoy the Holiday Break. If you are one to enjoy a property where you don't feel like you're one of hundreds, this is definately the place for you.
We were booked on the club level and had a penthouse suite. The California contemporary decor was comfortable yet modern. The views of the California desert from the patio was perfect for sipping coffee while reading a newspaper. We found the deluxe continental breakfast a way to get going for a day of shopping and/or seeing sights. Our conceirge was friendly and seemed to know each guest by name.

We were at a bit of a loss for what to do with my young son on property. They did have a kids club but it's best suited for kids 6& up and the playground was being replaced. Luckily the mild weather allowed for a lot of time out of doors.

• Liked — The actual room
  • Disliked — Lack of things for a young child to do
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
san diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2008

My husband and I booked a stay at the Hyatt for a long-weekend getaway and had a great trip! We checked in on a Saturday morning and loved our room! We booked a villa (which apparently are new) and had a large room with a huge bathroom complete with sunken tub, stone shower, his and her sinks and skylight! We immeadiately hit the pool and ordered drinks and lunch from the Roadrunner cafe..food was good, as were the drinks-service was average. We were mistakingly at the kids pool-but it wasn't too bad. The families and kids seemed to be having a great time. Later on, we enjoyed dinner and gambling at a local casino. The next morning we ate breakfast at the restaurant that is both indoor/outdoor. We had a beautiful outdoor table overlooking the course and ate the breakfast buffet. The food was good but the service was horrible!! I asked our waitress for a 2nd cup of coffee and waited 20 mintues with still no coffee. My husband ended up getting it for me and then we waited another 20 minutes to just get our check. The woman at the table next to us was also waiting for her check. We both asked a number of different staff members for the check and were very annoyed when it finally arrived. Needless to say, she did not get a very good tip! After that, my husband played golf and I enjoyed the "adult pool". Much better atmosphere if you're looking for a quiet relaxing day. Overall, we loved the hotel, atmosphere and most of the service. We would definately stay here again.

Stayed February 2008
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2008

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hyatt. The staff was helpful, food was good, and my kids loved the kids camp. They didn't want to leave! That is always a good sign. I recommend this service as well as the others.

• Liked — The room and the kid camp
  • Disliked — I have no complaints
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2008

We love Palm Desert weekend getaways from LA and have stayed at various locations. We had a wonderful stay at the Hyatt and made full use of the property/grounds. We checked in on Sat. morning. My husband played golf and said the course was beautiful. I went with a friend to the spa and we had great massages, hung out in the jacuzzis, and made use of the outdoor showers. The hotel also lets all guests take advantage of the steam room/jacuzzis/locker rooms without paying a day admission fee. The rooms were very nice, comfortable bed, clean and modern. The bathrooms with separate shower and open bath tub were very spacious. The hotel gave us adjoining rooms so we were able to hang out with our friends. Only desire- wished there was a DVD player in the room. We had breakfast at the restaurant just off the lobby, outdoors, overlooking the golf course. It was a great relaxing meal and was not outrageously priced. My friend complained that the Starbucks charges $3 for drip coffee (same as a latte) which didn't make sense. We loved hanging out around the pool. The resort was hosting a convention and apparently the property was full, however, it felt like nobody was there. On top of everything, our rooms were free as we used Hyatt points to stay. A great value for use of points. Overall, a great visit. I'd love to go back and possibly stay at the villas.

• Stayed January 2008
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2008

My review is not a comprehensive one because we spent almost all of our time in our villa and had the butler (the butler is shared amongst a set of villas) take care of most of our needs, so we didn't explore the grounds much at all, so this review is for the villa alone. The villa was in great shape and the private back yard and spa was perfect for us. Our villa's back yard had a tall wall completely surrounding, so we had a great deal of privacy. The butler service was very good and the food was good, but not great. My wife, my daughter, and I had a very pleasant stay at our villa.

Stayed January 2008
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
#2 of 8 in Rancho Mirage

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!