“Two reviews in one”

Ranked #2 of 42 Restaurants in Idyllwild
Cuisines: American, Italian, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: TripAdvisor's #1 Rated Restaurant in Idyllwild for 2014 Working in tandem with amazing culinary talent, some of which have gone on to The Culinary Institute of America at Hyde Park, NY and Le Cordon Bleu, the Aroma kitchen team uses classic recipes infused with unique, original ingredients, to create beautiful dishes with French, Nuevo Latino, Asian and SoCal influences. Cafe Aroma proudly supports our local farmers, wineries and brewers and features fresh, organic, and sustainable products, along with vegetarian and gluten free options. A unique bistro-gallery experience, featuring some of Idyllwild's most well-known and accomplished artists, featured in two-month, rotating exhibits. Idyllwild's hippest and funkiest dining establishment, Cafe Aroma is the hot spot on "The Hill." Enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner, along with great snacks and desserts and an assortment of bottled micro-brews and local, artisan wines, indoors or out, on our free Wi-Fi enabled patio deck, the inspiration of Cafe Aroma's "accidental owner" for the last 12 years, Hubert Halkin. Hubert's list of deeds is long, including being an Idyllwild resident for many years, Professor Emeritus and Department Chair of Mathematics at UCSD, a mean bridge player, and all around groovy Frenchman. Not to mention...You won't believe what he can demonstrate table-side with a straw and your Osso Bucco bone! Music is one of the cafe's cornerstones, and features an amazing array of talented musicians, known locally, regionally and nationally. It's no wonder that, among musicians, Cafe Aroma's outdoor stage is known as the Madison Square Garden of Idyllwild! The community of Idyllwild is an eclectic collection of souls, comprised of entrepreneurs, artists of every flavor, hipsters and church-goers, authors and meditators, some really cool, old school jazz cats, and a few belly dancers and ballerinas. Cafe Aroma is the gathering place for everyone, the place to "see and be seen" and features the most dog-friendly patio around. Restaurant, Art Gallery, Social Club and a Home Away From Home...If your home was this cool!
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Before we traveled to Idyllwild we got some recommendations from friends on where to stay and where to eat. The most popular restaurant recommended was Cafe Aroma! We called the day before to make reservations because there was some live music that day and were told it gets very crowded. We arrived at our reservation time and had to wait a few minutes for our table to be readied. The proprietor was very nice about it so I was still feeling pretty good about the place. The deck outside was very nice, crowded but not overly so. Our waitress took our drink orders, I ordered a diet Pepsi and my husband an iced tea. When the waitress brought the iced tea she explained that the diet Pepsi needed to be changed and would be out shortly. Ten minutes later I still had no drink. I asked the busboy(as our waitress was nowhere to be found) and he said the soda had been changed and he would bring it out. When I finally got it, it tasted terrible! Then the busboy brought some bread and oil(which he dripped all over the table). The waitress asked if the diet Pepsi was ok, I said no and she took it back and offered me something else. I declined and when we got the bill, she had not charged us for either drink, which I thought was very fair. My husband enjoyed his drink, his lunch and the band. He thought the service was fine and would definitely recommend this place. I however, would think twice about sending a friend here considering the apparent inconsistancies in the service.

1  Thank Alexandra T

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We frequent this restaurant and it's just the all around best.
Food is always high quality and interesting, music when they have a band is a great addition and the staff is just great.

1  Thank Offthebeatenpath011
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Great setting and really good food. A must when there. Drinks and food were great. We loved the patio!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We had great coffee and pastries for breakfast. Wifi free, friendly atmosphere. Overall great place to spend a relaxing hour.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Great food, nice setting, it would have been perfect if the weather had been warmer and we could have sat outside.