“Great place...great atmosphere...great service”
Review of Gastrognome

Gastrognome
Ranked #1 of 42 Restaurants in Idyllwild
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Poway, California, United States
“Great place...great atmosphere...great service”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We use to go to the Gnome every trip to Idyllwild. For the last few years, we have tried different places. We returned this year and will be back. The service was perfect. We sat at the table in front of the fireplace. It was cozy.

Visited January 2014

Huntington Beach, California
“Mind = Blown!”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

My wife and I had heard a lot of positive, almost gushing, opinions from locals about "The Gnome" and decided to give it a try. Without question, EVERYTHING we had was superb...the french onion soup, the calamari (wow!!), the petite filet and Thai pasta.

Coronado, California
“Lots of Options!”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Food was very good and I would recommend this as one of your places to have dinner. Rustic and warm feel.

Pasadena, California
“Extremely good food”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The food is terrific but they give you a huge portion. The atmosphere was very homey and comfortable.

Carlsbad, California
“All hail The Gnome!”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Though I've lived in the San Diego area for 30 years, for whatever reason I'd never stayed in or eating in Idyllwid. And what a great, cute, friendly little town! The biggest surprise was the food. We did not expect to find gourmet restaurants in a tiny little mountain town, but, if you go, expect to be surprised.

"The Gnome" as it's known, is a very quaint romantic spot, which my wife picked out for my birthday meal. Great choice. I asked the waitress for her recommendation of among three dishes that caught my eye, and she highly recommended the Tequila Lime Shrimp. It came beautifully presented on a bed of molded brown rice that in and of itself was a delight. But the combination of all the flavors had me in ecstasy. I savored every bite. When I was done, I had to pause, take a breath and realize this was one of the best meals I"d ever eaten. Fabulous! The wine accompanying the meal was divine. This place is an absolute joy.

• Visited December 2013