“Decent and clean”

Idyllwild Bunkhouse
San Diego, Ca
“Decent and clean”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Spent 2 hot July nights here- definitely glad we got a room with ac! The ac was weak and did not cool the 2nd bedroom in the place we rented but luckily there was a regular fan and ceiling fans that helped. Place was clean and the basket breakfast scones were amazing. It's not fancy, just clean rustic mountain accommodations. We will probably stay again when visiting family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Note about pictures: Since we arrived at night I took pictures of the room the day we were leaving. I just quickly made the bed. They do in fact provide towels! I just removed them from the pictures.

I purchased the Living Social Deal which was 2 nights (Friday & Saturday) for $139. I am giving this review based on it being a bunkhouse and not a hotel. You will not find any sort of luxury or glamor here but you will get a cute and clean place to stay with a tiny balcony. For a bunkhouse, it is a great place to stay!

I've been wanting to stay at their sister location, Strawberry Creek Inn, after it was recommended by an acquaintance. I liked the fact that the bunkhouses offered separate units opposed to staying in one room at the house. In addition, all units have a balcony that faces the forest. Very quite and a nice place to sip on wine and soak up the sun or enjoy a book. So, when I saw the Living Social deal I decided to give the bunkhouses a try. The hike between the two properties is about a 45 min leisurely stroll and a quick 3 min drive.

The bunkhouses all share walls and are lined up in a row. Also, since all units share a wall, it is requested that the TV be either off or on mute after 9PM. In addition, talking is to be kept at a low volume after 9PM. Each unit has a parking space that is conveniently located directly in front of your unit. There is an on-site office and the managers are there in the morning until about 7pm but seem to make special arrangements as needed. We actually got in around 10:30PM on a Friday and they left our keys in the mailbox. We didn't have any issues and the managers seem sweet enough.

It is located right off a main road so there is some noise from cars passing. There aren't a ton of cars at night so it didn't bother me really. My boyfriend work in sound so he is quite sensitive to noise and he wasn't bothered much by it. It is located right outside of downtown which is very convenient.

We stayed in Unit #15. So, this being bunkhouse, there is quite the "in the woods" type of vibe which is very charming. Bed was comfortable with clean sheets. The room has a tiny bathroom. The sink and toilet area is about 3 feet wide by 6 feet deep. The stand-only shower is very cozy at about 2 ft x 2 ft. They provide shampoo and body wash dispensers in the shower. There is no iron, ironing board, or hair dryer. There is a soap dispenser next to the sink and the toilet paper was acceptable (more on the rough than soft side). The kitchenette was nice to have but we didn't actually use it except for the sink. My boyfriend used the coffee maker and wasn't impressed by it. Small table and two chairs for dining. TV is quite old but we didn't use it anyway.

Each morning at 9am they hang a vintage fisherman's basket on your door filled with breakfast. I believe it changes seasonally. We got home baked scones with jam, juice, oatmeal (Although the package has microwave instructions on it and there is not microwave. I suppose they are expecting you to use the stovetop...???) and cuties. The home baked scones are actually baked at the Inn and then brought over each morning. I believe that the website and information binder in the room claims that the breakfast is entirely organic but I think it must just be only the scones with jam and MAYBE the cuties.

We paid $15/person to have breakfast at the Inn on Sunday which I highly recommend. I personally love B&B's. It was quite delicious and the entire meal is organic. They also have their own garden and chickens which they source from. I would give it a 4/5 rating based on the price, setting, and taste. Keep in mind that you are sharing the table with other guests so you need to be a somewhat sociable person to enjoy this type of breakfast. I also hear it's a nice hike to take but we were running late so we just drove.

Idyllwild is great for a relaxing getaway. Not much to do but is great for hikes and low key nights enjoying wine with a friend or significant other. Soak in the fresh mountain air and feel tucked away from the city life. I would definitely visit this town again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SophiaLovesToTravels
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I had a little problem booking my reservation and the voucher almost expired before I could get two consecutive nights during the time frame the fine print dictated. But I finally did. The rooms are cute cabin decor with pine panelling inside. Very cozy(small). The bed was comfortable and the linens nice enough, though not luxury. The kitchenette was adequate for our needs. Coffee maker and coffee were supplied. The breakfast was hung on our door in the morning and was delightful. Presented in a basket, was a still warm scone with strawberry jam, instant oatmeal packet, juice and fresh pear. The oatmeal could be prepared in the microwave in the room. The balcony was small, but pleasant to sit and read. I took a hike down to the creek behind the units. The trail was steep, but several walking sticks were provided at the top. There were no amenities here like hot tub or pool. For the price of the voucher, the two night stay was a good deal, but at regular prices, probably not worth it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Myrna B
Moorpark, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

The last few reviews have been quite negative and I don't understand why. It must be that they had expectations of the Ritz. The name of this motel has bunkhouse in it and there are pictures and descriptions on the website so we knew exactly what to expect. It is a lovely little place; so quaint and woodsy and very comfortable. Yes the walls are thin, but if you have respectful neighbors it's not a problem. We had both during our stay, but luckily the noisy ones left after the first night and it was quiet after that. Our room was very nice; queen bed, kitchenette, fridge, A/C, WiFi, cable t.v. We sat out on the front porch in the evening and the balcony in the morning. Warning: there are big black bees in the trees behind the motel so you won't be able to stay out on the balcony for long, but, after all, we came here to enjoy nature and the bees are part of that. There is noise from the highway, but not overnight so we had no problem sleeping. The bed was very comfortable, as well. The only thing missing was a comfortable upholstered chair.
We read the reviews before we left home and were apprehensive about even making the drive. We did, though and are so glad we did. The people in downtown Idyllwild are so friendly and nice and the motel staff was very welcoming. We would recommend this to anyone who enjoys the clean mountain air and the rustic charm of the Stawberry Creek Bunkhouse. But, remember, it's a motel/bunkhouse not the Ritz.

Room Tip: Choose a higher numbered room closer to the office for stronger WiFi.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melanie R
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

If it wasn't for the Groupon special we would never have ventured into this hotel. The staff was nice enough but the accommodations were very small and worn. There was a balcony off the back looking into the trees but the next balcony was so close, we could hear the other guests breathing! Which leads me to the thin walls - we could hear everything from the other guests cell phones which were on vibrate to their bathroom activities!

One nice touch were the warm scones left in a basket on the door each morning. Nice thoughtful touch. There was a hiking trail that lead to the Nature Center which was pleasant but all in all a disappointing visit.

We're all wondering if this Groupon savings is much of a savings after all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank tripwmc
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

My son purchased this trip for me as a 'respite' from the stress of his latest Army tour of duty in Iraq. He was so proud of being able to give this trip to his mom as a combined Birthday/Mother's Day gift. Although I would not share this with my son, the accommodations were quite a disappointment. His original gift was for 2 nights in one of their standard rooms, I paid an additional $70/night to upgrade to their 'Woodland Vista' Cabin. Although from the website pictures it looks very inviting, for the price it lacked many basic amenities and much that was included didn't work. The 'wood-burning fireplace' is in fact is limited to dura-log only use (during our stay the logs were not provided, we had to purchase our own in the local store for $ 7.99 ea); the Jacuzzi tub was not operational at all (neither of these limitation was shared with us at the time we made the reservation, even though the information was known by the property manager). The secluded 'Woodland Cabin' and in fact the rest of the units, actually sit on a busy road and the noise was quite noticeable and constant. The kitchen was severely lacking in necessary elements, i.e. there was not a single glass in the entire place - we purchased our own plastic drink-ware; the plates in the cabinetry were not clean; the wine bottle opener was broken and not usable; there was not even the basic of cooking essentials such as salt & pepper; the outdoor furniture is in dire need of replacement (we brought in our own camp chairs from the car); and the wi-fi was extremely sluggish when it worked at all. The a/c unit was mounted over a large, free-standing heater and the faceplate has partially melted from the heat of the lower unit. It was quite unpleasant to look at and should at the very least be removed until it can be replaced. When I addressed these issues with the property manager, all I received was a series of apologies and excuses. Although each of the above issues was acknowledged by the manager, no adjustment to my upgraded rate was offered until I directly requested it and that was a very limited reduction, not matching the upgraded price I paid. This was not the worst place I've stayed in, but it ranks close to the most disappointing, as it sounded so peaceful and well-appointed. After 2 nights in the Bunkhouse, we moved to a sister property of the owners, the Strawberry Creek Inn. A review of that is posted separately.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Linda C
Canyon Lake, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

My friend purchased a Groupon for this establishment and we reserved a unit with two rooms and two queen beds, with a small dog. When we arrived (before 4:00pm) I stayed in the car while my friend checked in. The proprietor, Susan, told my friend that the only room she had was one with 1 queen bed and no pets allowed, but we could board the dog locally. I went in next and showed the receipt for the room that we reserved, explaining that she would need to get this worked out. I want to add that there was another person in the office with the same exact problem at the time. Susan was suddenly able to find a unit with 1 queen and 2 twins, meaning that she had outright lied to my friend the first time around. We took the room and then Susan tried to charge us an additional $33 for the pet, until I again pointed out that by her own words (the email came directly from her), we only owed $13.90 upon check-in. In my opinion this business is operating dishonestly and possibly is working with the local boarding facility. She outright lied first and then tried to charge additional money. The other person in the office had not brought their email exchange with them as I did, and they had to accept lesser accommodations and board their pet. I cannot abide dishonest behavior and will never return to this establishment.

Room Tip: Beautiful location, terrible customer service. Outright deceptive tactics, like a bait-and-switch. T...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Vicki W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Idyllwild
Vagabond Inn Palm Springs
Vagabond Inn Palm Springs
#46 of 71 in Palm Springs
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Water Spa
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Wate...
#8 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
#5 of 9 in Idyllwild
Silver Pines Lodge
Silver Pines Lodge
#2 of 12 in Idyllwild

Been to Idyllwild Bunkhouse? Share your experiences!