“Lovely Mountain Retreat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Idyllwild Bunkhouse
La Costa, California, United States
“Lovely Mountain Retreat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

We stayed in the larger of two cabins that had all comforts of home. We were greeted by very friendly Inn keepers Oscar and Susan cabin was clean had extra blankets two wonderful decks a view of beautiful pine trees and fresh mountain air. The kitchen had everything we needed to cook. However the grocery store was expensive. So if you plan on preparing your meals shop prior to your arrival. My favorite time was in the morning drinking coffee on the deck wrapped up in a blanket and feeling very much at peace. The town of Idyllwild has shops art musemus, jewelry stores full of custom pieces done by the local artist.
There are two full service bars in town to get a drink and enjoy happy hour. The Gastrodome (our favorite) and Jo Anns. You will find the BEST struddel in the world was at a little place called Natures Wisdom .... Oh my goodness.... There are walking trails everywhere depending on your fitness level and even a place to get a massage afterwards. If you live in SoCAL and want to get away to the mountains for a quiet weekend, this is a good place to do so. There is no skiing and right now NO SNOW. But still lots of fun things to do and see.

My only suggestion to make this B&B great to greater would be to upgrade the bed and bedding and perhaps the carpet in the bedroom needs to be cleaned.

Room Tip: Every morning you have fresh HOT scones delivered to your room in a basket with lemon jam juice, oat...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tamara B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Loved the bunkhouse! The rooms are quaint, clean and warmly decorated. The service was outstanding. We were directed to the Nature Center, terrific restaurants, while enjoying great artisan shops. Each morning a complimentary basket of oatmeal, juice, apples and homemade scones wiith lemon spread was delivered to our door. Wow! My kids waited by the door each morning. We aare? re new but definitely huge fans of Idyllwild and will be sure to include Strawberry Creek Bed & Breakfast/Bunkhouse in all of our future visits. A truly relaxing break from the L.A. hustle and bustle. We'll be back soon!

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank jd2012
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

This was a lovely little hotel room that felt like a cabin. I was the only one staying, so I didn't hear an ounce of noise. The traffic quiets down early and didn't bother me one bit. The balcony out back really made the room for me. It was a lovely view and a quiet peaceful place to sit and enjoy the view. The breakfast was phenomal...the scone delivered was actually still warm. The only two downsides were the very low water pressure in the shower (I couldn't get all of the soap off) and a group of ants that I found crawling around the sink in the morning. I hate ants...for some reason they really freak me out, but I loved this place so much that even I could overlook them. Afterall, you are in nature.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank AmyMitchell
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

If you want to visit a small, quiet (no card horns!), charming town - check out Strawberry Creek Bunkhouse. Very charming 50's motel (refurbished) and the homemade scones delivered to your room for breakfast are fantastic. Every recommendation we inquired about for food options were right on as well. Friendly staff with a low key atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank louie612
Riverside, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

I read the previous review after I booked the room at the Bunkhouse, and I was concerned. So after I got the confirmation email, I emailed back politely to see what the heater situation was, saying that I had read on Trip Advisor that there had been trouble lately. The innkeeper emailed me back right away that my room had a working propane wall heater, and that she would turn it on before I got there to make sure it was nice and warn for me. When I got there the room was nice and toasty for me. Great! Initially, I had a problem connecting to the wifi and I called the office about it. She called the wifi company and within ten minutes the problem was resolved. I was very impressed.
Cons:
Small windows that don't provide sufficient sunlight
Parking lot needs better de-icing
Pros:
Beautiful location, cozy room
Clean, comfortable

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank i_strangeways
Encinitas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

We went for the Idyllwild Jazz Festival; it was tough to get a room as rather late in the game so when they had one room available we grabbed it not knowing much about the area etc. We knew it was a motel-style plus cabins but we were so pleasantly surprised about the decor, how clean it was, lovely kitchenette and balcony with great view, friendly staff, and the best scones I've ever had delivered at your door every morning. While the rooms are relatively small, they are quite well appointed and with the balcony we did not feel crowded at all. Plus the jazz was awesome.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Trippi54
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

My teenage daughter and I stayed in Room 12. The room was wonderful and rustic. It was so nice to get away from the city. We slept better than we have in years. The scones were delicious and were the highlight of our trip. Kathleen was a gracious host and such a nice lady. We will definitely stay here again. Although there is not any air conditioning, with the breeze blowing through the windows and the 2 fans provided, it was perfect.

Thank you so much for such a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank texastraveler1023
Also consider these accommodations in or near Idyllwild
Vagabond Inn Palm Springs
#2 of 12 in Idyllwild
Palm Canyon Resort & Spa
Palm Canyon Resort & Spa
#59 of 71 in Palm Springs

Been to Idyllwild Bunkhouse? Share your experiences!