We stayed here because we were going to Disneyland, but still wanted to be beach accessible and "vacation" like. It was the closest beach to Disneyland. It is a great location and beach, unfortunately the weather wasn't "typical" California weather.
The hotel itself is right on Pacific Coast Highway and just a 10 minute walk to Main Street, Huntington Beach. Comfortable, relaxing atmosphere. There is a nice pool and gym at the hotel. The rooms are clean and spacious and all have balconies with views of the beach. We stayed in a King room with sunrise view.
The hotel staff were friendly but not very helpful when it came to options/suggestions to getting around (ie. Disneyland and South Coast Plaza) We didn't rent a car because I don't really want to deal with the stress of driving in LA, traffic, and parking. I don't think it's a vacation if I have to stress about this. We asked about getting to Disneyland and even asked if they could schedule a shuttle of some sort rather than taking a cab. The lady's response at Concierge was, "we don't really do shuttles to Disneyland, only the hotels around Disneyland do that." Their only other suggestions were a cab or driver services. We opted to take a cab because they said it would only be about $40, but it ended up costing over $50. The driver services they quoted was to be $54. So basically it costed us about $100 getting to and from Disneyland alone.
We then asked about going to South Coast Plaza from the hotel. They said it would be around $42 by cab, which didn't really make sense because it was about half the distance getting to Disneyland. Again, no other suggestions to get there otherwise. it cost us about $30 to get there, so about $60 round trip only to find out that there was a bus with a stop right beside the hotel (#173), it's even called South Coast Plaza, that costs about $3 each way. You'd think they would've said something to us?
Luckily I scheduled a shuttle for pick-up from and to the airport from our hotel with Supershuttle. They are a great value and good service! It only cost $38 each way for 2 people. I highly recommend Supershuttle if you plan on going to LA.
In any case, we spent about $200 just on cab fare and are very unhappy with the staff at this hotel because they weren't very helpful in this regard. This trip really confirmed that LA isn't a place to travel without a car and wouldn't be my first choice in terms of a "vacation" spot. I would still recommend this hotel for its location and amenities, but the staff could definitely improve in service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Waterfront Beach Resort, a Hilton Hotel is located on the picturesque coastline of Southern California, in the heart of Surf City USA™ in Huntington Beach, California. Book a room or oceanview suite and enjoy proximity to Disneyland(R) Resort, Knott's Berry Farm and the Aquarium of the Pacific. Join us for lunch or dinner at the famous Shades Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, TravelUp, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Waterfront Beach Resort, A Hilton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Waterfront Beach Hotel Huntington Beach
- Hilton Huntington Beach
- Hilton Hotel Huntington Beach
- Hilton Waterfront Beach Resort