“Terrific weekend spot”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Denver, CO
“Terrific weekend spot”
Reviewed November 19, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Waterfront Beach Resort for a weekend after meetings in LA. We have stayed in the Huntington Beach area before - at both the Hyatt and the HIlton. Both are lovely hotels. The beach at HB is long and wide and there are paths to walk, run or ride a bike for miles and miles. We particularly like running along the paths.
The Hilton is a beautiful hotel with gorgeous artwork throughout the common areas. Our room was oceanfront- it was called an executive suite. We had a 300 degree view from our balcony that wrapped around the corner of the building. It was spectacular! There were fires all over LA this weekend and we could see them from our room. Plus we got the sunrise and the sunset every day- just incredible!
The employees are very friendly- noticeably so. Every where we went we were greeted by friendly, helpful employees.
The entire hotel is spotless. There were lots of options for meals and drinks. We had not stayed at this property since it was first built but we will go back. It could not have been nicer.

• Liked — The location- view, beauty of the room/ property
  • Disliked — no self park, crossing the Pacific Coast Highway
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mmcbDenver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I stayed at this beautiful hotel the last week of August. It was beautiful. I had a great room that over looked the pool and the beach. The bed was comfortable and nice sheets.

I really liked that you could walk to "downtown" Huntington Beach from the resort. I thought the staff was very polite. The food in the restaurant was very good as well.

The only problem we had were some intoxicated patrons who were very loud late night hollering down our hallway.... A hotel rep did come and quiet the group down and I did not hear them anymore.

• Liked — Location & Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed November 2, 2008

The hotel itself was excellent. The room was very clean and the bed was great with nice, comfortable sheets and pillows. The major disappointment was the location. From the photos, it looked like you were actually on the beach but you aren't. There's a street separating the beach from the rest of the resorts/hotels. This is my first time coming to CA so I don't know if this is common or not but I was nonetheless disappointed. I had a major snafu at the hotel's restaurant, "Shades". It started out very well. The bread (garlic-encrusted and olive-encrusted) and bread sticks were delicious with their non-traditional spread. I'm not sure what was in it but it wasn't your usual butter/olive oil. Even the Coke was good. However, when the main entree came out, it went downhill. They served me raw lobster. I ordered lobster on risotto and they forgot to cook it. What a disaster! Needless to say, they were apologetic and offered another entree, dessert, etc. But by that time, I had enough and left because I actually ate some of the lobster and was hoping I wasn't going to get sick. Anyway, for such a high-class place, the head chef should have caught it and if he didn't, the waiter should have. Oh, well. The hotel was nice and even the restaurant but just be careful what you put in your mouth.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Room service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Minneapolis MN
Reviewed October 6, 2008

Though this hotel was a little pricey, we wanted to have an ocean front room and this fit the bill. We were 8 floors up, so we could see over the trees and be a little further away from the busy street right in front of the hotel. The room was elegant, comfy bed, etc. The road noise quieted about 10pm. It was a 10 minute walk to the pier where we had dinner at Duke's on the Beach and coffee at Starbucks the next morning. Parking was extra which I didn't appreciate. We didn't use the pool or restaurants as we met friends at the pier. There were wedding receptions and birthday parties so it was a busy hotel but that didn't bother us. There was a live musician at the bar when we returned. We would stay there again.

• Liked — Location overlooking ocean
  • Disliked — paying for parking
San Jose
Reviewed October 2, 2008

A king room, sunrise side, was available early, so they let us check in. There's only valet parking at $24/day, and I informed management that their website needs to be updated (the website says the self parking is free). We pretty much forgot about the parking fee when we walked into the hotel room: his/her robes, high showerhead to go with the full-force shower, huge, thick towels, a very comfortable bed, flat screen TV, sofa with a large ottomon, and sensor night lights at the bottom of the night stands (pretty snazzy!) . When you open the drapes, you see Huntington Beach out your window (see our photo attachment). It was a wonderful choice to end our week of cruising before returning back to civilization the next day.

• Liked — HIs and her robes
  • Disliked — The inaccuracy of the website confirmation
Virginia
Reviewed September 28, 2008

I was working in California and decided to extend for a few personal days. I booked a Hilton Honors reward stay for one night at Huntington Beach Hilton. (40,000 points). Arrival from LAX was easy I got off I-5 early and enjoyed a ride down Pacific Coast Highway. Parking is Valet, but I don't remember the cost. We were met at the door by, not one but two, Concierges who were very helpful. The young man behind the counter was extremely polite as he rewarded me with a great "Sunrise View" room -- as it turns out the better view is the "Sunset View" rooms - they have Huntington Beach Pier as a back drop. (One laugh about the SunSet side - there is a huge hole in the ground where it looks like they started building another hotel and stopped) One thing I have noticed about using Reward certificates is the rooms generally have a poorer view or location - but hey they are like free stays so who cares? The room was great a view of the city and a side view of the ocean and beach. Rooms are clean and comfortable - nice outdoor balcony. Bedding is great! The hotel bar and pool area are beautiful. The bar is pricey, but nice. Every single person in this place was friendly. I received a pass for the Continental breakfast. It is upgradeable to a hot breakfast for $10 -Continental was more than enough - the fresh fruit was out of this world good. We walked out of the room and crossed the Highway the beach is very clean and huge. The cool thing was the public fire rings. you could buy wood from a vendor and build your own bonfire! The Pier is great and the restaurant at the end is an inexpensive diner with great burgers. The town of Huntington Beach is fun to walk around - at times I felt like i was on a college campus or a set to Bay Watch. I liked this hotel so much I was going to cancel my reservations at the Marriott in NewPort Coast beach – but alas Hilton would not give me the government rate I needed – the best rate was going to be $199 per night. I would stay here again if it were rewards points – If I was spending my own money I would have to go down to the NewPort Coast Villas – that is for another review.

• Liked — The whole package in a beutiful location
  • Disliked — Pricey
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank a1scuba
Reviewed September 16, 2008

My husband and I stayed in Los Angeles for the weekend and needed a place to stay for one day and evening before flying out early in the Orange County (SNA) airport. We wanted something that gave us an ocean view, convenient location to both the SNA airport and to explore Orange County. We thought it was perfect! Our king bed room had nice and clean rooms, well decorated and spacious, comfortable beds. The service was great - everyone was so friendly and helpful (front desk, concierge, restaurant/bar staff, valet). It is not directly on the beach, but across the street from it so you can see it from most all rooms. It is not right in the middle of the Huntington Beach action (pier and promidade), but just a short distance down Pacific Coast Highway if that is where you want to be. Since you are right there on the Pacific Coast highway, it's an easy drive south down to Newport beach and Laguna beach. The hotel had a nice pool area, which we did't use that had a restaurant overlooking it.
We got back late and had a drink at the bar's outside firepit which overlooked the pool area and had heat lamps. We also saw in the hotel book where they will put together beach baskets for guests (ie. blanket, smores ingredients and gadgets, logs) to take to the beach in the evening - sounded fun! Overall, we would recommend and stay again.

• Liked — Friendly service, location
  • Disliked — Not direcly on the beach
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
#5 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to The Waterfront Beach Resort, A Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!