“not what we expected”

Hotel Huntington Beach
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The hotel is in the process of refurbishing the rooms. We were on the 8th floor and our room had new beds and other furniture but was still nothing special. The lobby was attractive and the staff was friendly and helpful. The hot breakfast was nice. It was only a 20 minute drive to Disneyland.

Room Tip: The 8th floor has been redone so ask for a room there.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Joyce D

Reviewed October 30, 2013

The lobby and main areas are quite nice and well kept. However, the guest rooms are not nearly as nice. The beds were the worst hotel beds I have ever had and while the room was clean overall it was definitely dated and showed its age, cracked tiles, seperating caulking in the bathroom, older worn carpet.

The pool was OK but too cold and lacked any real anti-skid surface around it making it rather unsafe to walk on when wet. The breakfast was great and service was great.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We went to SoCal to celebrate a friend's birthday at the Olde World complex across the street and this property was recommended due to the ease of walking distance and not driving after having a few adult beverages.

Olde World has to be this hotel's saving grace! The rooms (7th floor) are old, dingy and absolutely disgusting from a cleanliness standpoint. The shower head in our room was FILTHY and had probably not seen a cleansing agent in about two years---at least. Very low water pressure, but heck, at least it was hot.

The use of elevators was next to impossible on Saturday evening due the number of guests heading over to Ocktoberfest at the same time. My girlfriend and I decided to use the stairs...BIG MISTAKE! Once we got the ground floor, the "emergency exit" was LOCKED, which is HUGE safety issue. We had to go up one floor and wait for the elevator. We reported the locked door to the Front Desk.

Fortunately the Front Desk heeded the information and had the door fixed, which was great for the hotel, since the HB Fire Department was conducting drills at the building next door. Would not want to be the General Manager or Manager On Duty trying to explain the locked door to a fire marshal.

Didn't/couldn't use the bar area on Saturday, it was blocked for a wedding party. No worries, walked across the street and a multitude of bars and restaurants to choose from.

Do yourself a favor, book another hotel and just get a taxi to Olde World!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RafaATL
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My room had damage old furniture, stain carpet, hair dryer that didn't work, and old worn out bed.
At first look from website it looks like a very nice hotel but it's very far and different in person. I slept so bad on the bed that I was in pain from bed after one night of sleep. I had a sore neck for sleeping on the bed. Also they have a price chart in bedroom which tells you how much you will pay if you take tv remote home which was $50.00. It really sad that they have prices for towels when they are so worn out and not soft. The restrain at hotel was closed when we arrived at 6pm. The staff isn't friendly. When I was checking out in the morning I said something about how bad I slept because of the bad mattress. The women in the morning at 745am told me you reserved a standard room. I said what is the difference when the standard room says it's best value. It felt like it was bait and switch. For a price difference of $17 dollars only you get a better room. So I asked where are the nice rooms like the website? I was told by the rude morning person on floors 1 to 3.
I am a marriott rewards platinum member and will never stay at this budget hotel. Good beds is a must in any hotel it shouldn't be a luxury for a decent bed. I also made a mistake and left one of my rings on the desk. When I called back later I was told that they didn't find it in my room. I had Oscar who really tried to help me with this issue but it never show up or was found in my room. This was a business trip and we had 12 rooms rented at this hotel. I sent a very long letter to our corporate travel about this dump.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel. This hotel looks nice on the website but isn't update on every floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cheryld92103
Christopher D, Manager at Hotel Huntington Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

I truly apologize for your disappointing experience during your recent stay with us. We are currently undergoing renovations to our guest rooms and will be replacing the furniture and beds to match the style of our lobby and the rest of the hotel. We currently have 2 floors complete and will be continuing with the renovations to the rest of our guest rooms. I hope that you will give us another chance once our renovations are complete.

Thank you for your understanding.

Management-

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Worst design flaw I have EVER seen in a hotel room...window coverings that ONLY COVER PART OF THE WINDOW! Please see attached picture and understand that what you see is the FULLY CLOSED position. I know it is hard to believe, but these blinds do not close all the way. They can either be opened all the way, or closed in a manner in which 50% of the window gets covered. This is crazy! All kinds of light comes through, starting at sunrise, making it very difficult to sleep! This alone could have earned them a 1 rating, but I was gracious, because the hotel overall is a 2.5.

The lobby was nice and the hotel had fresh paint, but still the same old rooms underneath these cheap upgrades. Bed was worn-out, lumpy, and stiff! Room was clean, but the bathroom wasn't.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frank-Money
Christopher D, Manager at Hotel Huntington Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Actually, windows do close all the way. The shades are overlapping each other in he picture you displayed. If you were to pull the draw string, the shades will move and cover the remaining part of the window.

I apologize that you were unable to operate the shades.

Should you have any questions, please feel to contact and we will be more than happy to assist you.

-Management-

Reviewed October 3, 2013

They charge extra for updated rooms [check what you sign]. They didn't inform us it was more. Bad lighting, toilets don't flush, tub and sinks go down very slow be careful sink over flows. No vents or fan in bathroom. Also TV had very bad reception. Forth floor has no air conditioning, no ice machine that works and vending machine is not cold. We stayed five nights for wedding.Thought they would be guest friendly and give discount for all the issues, no deal.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your understanding.

Management-

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We didn't know what to expect. But it was better than the reviews. The room was nicer the beds were comfy. And close to restaurants, stores and movie theater. Make sure to visit the bar. The drinks are worth it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Jeff C