“Absolutely Filthy Hotel”

Comfort Suites Huntington Beach
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Reviewed March 15, 2014

When we booked 3 x rooms we were not informed that the hotel was under renovation. When we arrived my colleagues refused to spend even one night at this property. The hotel was very dirty, the carpets were soiled as was the upholstery on the chairs in the dining area. Part of the floors were ripped up.

Despite being informed they had a 24 hour cancellation the manager Mike refused to refund our bookings for the following 3 nights. Mike advised that he would refund us if he could relet the rooms.

We called later that night under a different name and were told they were sold out. When we asked for Mike for our refund he refused.

This hotel is very dirty and the management dishonest.

Save your money!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank 709debram

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This place is in a great location but it is not great at all. Ok...so you may save a little $$$ by staying here but let me tell you it's not worth it. In fact I felt unsafe. They are currently "updating" their rooms but they have a lot of work ahead of them. When our door was shut you could see the light coming thru the edges of the door. My 2 year old escaped from the door...who puts the security bar so low on a door? At one point I tried to open the window a little ...it wouldn't even slide...it was jammed and stuck. As you walk to your room through the hallways it is very very dark and gloomy..I felt like I could be mugged at any moment. There were sketchy people in the parking lot area. Also the construction crew was apparently staying at the motel because in the evening they set up their "hang out" near the covered parking area and boozed it up all night...as well as smoking illegal things if you know what I mean....I had to leave this place and find another location to stay.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Erika J
CSHB12, Manager at Comfort Suites Huntington Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Reviewed February 1, 2014

This place was in a great location. There are plenty of stores and places to eat all within walking distance. Went to Knotts Berry Farm, go out the drive and make a left. Want to go to the beach… go out and make a right. All on the main drag. Hotel is also off the 405 by a few blocks. Downtown LA, LAX all simple to get to from this hotel.

The breakfast was spotty… one time they would be out of eggs, next day they were out of waffle mix and so on. Even still you could get something to eat though.

This is a 3 story hotel and the entire 3rd floor is being redone. We were on the second floor and there were a lot of construction noise, dust and so on. The rooms really did need a rehab. The couch and chits in our room were old and really worn. I wanted to see what a new room looked like but none were done yet when we were there.

I would like to come back to this hotel when the rehab was done and give it a second review. If you book here, I would ask for a room on the 3rd floor!!!

Room Tip: Ask for any of the room that have just been redone. They told me the first batch will be ready Feb...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JoefromSJ
CSHB12, Manager at Comfort Suites Huntington Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear,,

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I read very mixed reviews on this hotel but decided to stay there anyway. I can see why the reviews are so mixed. I stayed for one night on Sun 1/19 - Mon 1/20 with my teenage son. We had a King room - he slept on the pull out sofa-bed.
The hotel is undergoing MAJOR renovation. Its quite odd to walk past several rooms that have no furniture to get to your own room. There were several areas around the hotel grounds where old mattresses were piled up, or new carpet was still on huge rolls. There were several 4x6 long lengths of wood right outside our room door.
I see what everyone means by the notices about potential charges for this or charges for that. I almost felt as if I was doing something wrong when I wasn't! I notice saying don't take food from the breakfast, a notice saying we count the towels in the room, a notice on the special key you have to check out to use the gym saying if you don't return it you will be charged $20. I've never even had to check out a special key to use a hotel gym before.
But - our room was "OK". At the end of the day it was $80 inc. taxes - we used the jacuzzi (way too hot by the way) and I used the gym in the morning, we both ate a free breakfast and we both had a room to sleep in, so for the money it was OK.
I had planned to stay here alone but I'm so pleased my son decided to come with me. The area seems a bit "shady" especially after dark. The hotel is surrounded by apartment complexes with old, broken down vehicles parked outside - which makes me think some of the hotel practices I mentioned above are because of this "shady" area.
So I don't go on and on - bottom line is if you are male or travelling with a companion it's "OK" at best. For a female alone, no, I would not have felt safe being there. For the money, it was an OK deal. Would I stay there again? No.
Here's a pic of the gym. The machine that looks like an eleptical - well, not sure what it actually is as I couldn't get it to work. The treadmill is old and the belt is slightly warped. Not a single gym mat or ball to use so unable to do any ab work outs. Was able to get in a 30 min run on the old treadmill and do some upper arm workout with the weights machine.

Room Tip: I followed the advice of others and asked for a room away from the main road. It was quite back the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
CSHB12, Manager at Comfort Suites Huntington Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Yes we are doing a major remodeling and Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

A total dump! Also, allergy sufferers beware!!! We were planning to stay here 2 nights but we actually had to cut our stay short and re-book at a different, nicer, hotel because this place was so bad. Anyone with allergies or any kind of chemical sensitivity should avoid this place, because when we walked in, the first thing that hit us was an overwhelming amount of perfume in the room. The front desk confirmed that, yes, the cleaning staff sprays some kind of perfume chemicals every day when they clean.

It was truly a crazy amount of perfume, and although I had felt fine before we checked in there, the minute we walked in I started sneezing like crazy and got totally congested so I couldn't really breathe well. Am still congested now several days later and it all started with the disgusting perfume! Unfortunately we weren't able to cancel the first night and were stuck sleeping there, uncomfortable for one night.

Place was old and dirty too; when my kids were walking barefoot in the room the bottoms of their feet actually turned black because the carpets were so dirty! Breakfast was skimpy and mostly inedible so we set out for the day hungry too after finding really nothing much edible at the breakfast :(

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 274Sara
CSHB12, Manager at Comfort Suites Huntington Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us room air freshener and cleaning chemicals we used are from Eco Lab 95% of the high branded hotels in America use their products.Your in put provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This place badly needs remodeling. The room smelled of cigarette smoke and when I did step on the carpet with my bare feet, I wished I hadn't. On one night, two little league teams kept the entire hotel awake running round screaming in the garage/parking area. I guess the neighbor next door took offense at the noise and began playing a highly amplified electric guitar. The front desk person told us he couldn't do anything about either issue. In the morning, we took one look at breakfast and headed out the door. It's worth it to spend a few more bucks elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank curlyca
CSHB12, Manager at Comfort Suites Huntington Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I'd like to provide all with my experience but more importantly my brothers and sisters that have served and/or still serving. The staff at this location respect and honor our veterans... all of us without prejudice. They go above and beyond... and that is not a statement used lightly in my book. This is my 4th stay here... the welcome back is like coming home! Army strong and proud of it.

Room Tip: Talk to the reception staff... if you have a personal need/request they will do the best they can to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank David B
CSHB12, Manager at Comfort Suites Huntington Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013