“Good Reliable Motel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boise, Idaho
“Good Reliable Motel”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel three different times in the last year. It is very comfortable with large rooms. It is an older motel, but it is always clean, and the staff have always been very kind and courteous. This includes the front desk, the cleaning staff, the breakfast staff, and even the maintenance person. The bed has always been comfortable and I have always felt safe, especially when I have been solo. I have also stayed at the Comfort Inn and Huntington Beach Hotel in the past, but have found both those places to be lacking in overall comfort and appeal. I find this section of Beach Blvd. to be much quieter, so it is easy to get in and out of motel. It is close to two shopping centers, one at Beach/Adams and one on Yorktown/Main. So it is easy to pick up a few items or find a place to eat. Overall, I believe this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Eggplan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 30, 2012

The hotel is about 5 mins out of town but the rooms are large and clean, have foxtel tv for the kids, there is a tepid pool and hot spa. There are little extras in the room that I appreciate - a razor (so I did not have to borrow my husbands) and chocolate on the pillow (don't know if everyone gets that as we stayed two nights and got chocolate the second day). The breakfast is big with scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns, cereal, yoghurt, pancakes, fruit, bagels and pastries. We paid $100 per night and it was the best value hotel we stayed in over our 2 week vacation in the USA.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank ClotildeBlanchet
NYC
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This place has all the markings of a third-rate hotel trying to pass itself off as a cozy beach escape: poorly renovated, dark interiors to hide stains, very thin walls. Half the tv channels were fuzzy; instead of a cable outlet, the cable wire led to a small hole in the wall. Yes, it's a short drive to the beach, but that is its only advantage.

The worst thing about this place is the staff. On my first full day of my vacation, I stopped by the hotel in the middle of the day to pick something up from my room. Only, I found that my key card didn't work anymore. Upon inquiring at the front desk, I was told that they had thought I had checked out.

All my things were removed from my room.

Half of my food was thrown out.

All because someone else had apparently given them my room number when checking out that morning. Even though they knew I was scheduled for several more days, and they could have easily double checked their records to see who was actually meant to check out that day, or perhaps swiped that person's key card, they went ahead and cleaned out my room and charged my card. (Really, why would someone checking out leave all their things behind???)

They eventually returned most of my belongings (but not all), and claimed that they would replace everything missing (so far this has been untrue). And all I have gotten from them by explanation is, "Oh, we have no idea how it happened."

The manager also came along the first day with a bag full of food, claiming that they were all things removed from my room. None of it was mine. I guess they cleaned out another person's room by mistake as well?

Ridiculous. Trust violated and vacation spoiled.

Do not spend your money on this place. It is not worth the headache.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank saarinen
Ventura, CA
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The staff, from the check-in clerk to the breakfast room ladies, were very friendly and courteous.

The hotel is an older building which appears to have recently remodeled. Everything in our room appeared brand new. No scratches on the furniture, no mold anywhere in the bathroom, new mattress and a brand new wide screen TV. The room air conditioner was a bit on the loud side but nothing way out of the ordinary.

The included continental breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, sausages, pancakes made to order by an automatic cooker, bagels, pastries, cold and hot cereals, yogurt, coffee, tea, OJ & apple juice, The dining area is nicely decorated and has marble floors and counters. It has five tables and seating for 20. It is small, but people were friendly and did not linger longer than necessary.

The hotel is approximately 1-2 miles from Huntington Beach. We drove south on Beach Blvd then found a state beach parking lot ($15 for the day) and rode our bicycles 9 miles north towards Sunset Beach. The bike/pedestrian trail is relatively flat and was easy to ride. It was a Saturday and there were a lot of people there, so we had to be careful to avoid kids, adults, dogs and other bicyclists who just tend to get in front of you.

The only negative thing I have to say about our stay is the behavior of other guests. While we were walking to our room on the third floor, we noticed three people standing outside their rooms smoking cigarettes. One man was standing outside the room next to ours. My wife is very allergic to cigarette smoke and we kept our door and window shut in order to keep the smoke out of our room. Another man was working on his Harley motorcycle in the parking lot. He would start it up and let it idle for long periods of time. He finally drove off around 11 pm, what a relief! One shirtless young man knocked on our door by mistake around 10 pm. I was relieved when he walked away without a making fuss after realizing his mistake.

In the morning at breakfast, another young man was bragging about the fact there were complaints made about his group being to loud. The air conditioner made just enough white noise to mask that commotion for us and we had a good nights sleep.

All in all, this is a good hotel to stay at. The service and amenities are good. Unfortunately there is little the staff can do about their guests' behavior. They do their best to monitor and curb it with a no parties after 10 pm policy and security cameras.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor and away from the pool area are quieter
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank CA2rista
Toronto
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this motel. For the price we paid I was expecting a dump but it was far from it. The rooms were updated, modern, and clean. Rooms were very spacious, beds were comfortable. The breakfast was included and very good. Location is great, close to shopping, and huntington beach. Very active and lively area. The only downside is the pool, it did not look very clean and the water was freezing, but given what we paid for the room I didn't really choose this motel for its ammenities.

For what you pay, this is an amazing value.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Chris802
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Reviewed April 19, 2012

The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Clean rooms. Comfortable beds. They had a nice breakfast setup. Close to the beach. Stores nearby. Older place, but taken care of. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Andy N
Wisbech, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We booked 5 days in advance on a trip to California to visit our son. The hotel is only about a mile from the beach, located on Beach Boulevard which is a direct link between the infamous Interstate 405 and Pacific Highway 1, and caters for all sorts of travellers. Whilst we were there HB hosted a paintball convention with hundreds of contestants, some of whom stayed at our hotel. The hotel has a strict no party policy which it undoubtedly maintains. It was always quiet with plenty of parking, free web access, excellent swimming pool and a hot tub. The bedrooms were spacious with either a queen bed or two kings. The staff, both front of house and the cleaning and maintenance staff were excellent and kept the whole hotel in top order at all times. The free breakfast was of really good quality with plenty of choice of either hot or cold and as much as we could eat. Breakfast was from 7am to 10am which was really good for us holidaymakers because the beds were so comfortable that we slept very well.
The garden areas both at the front and back of the hotel were very well maintained with flowers and quiet areas. Conveniently, a lot of the parking areas were out of the sun so our car wasn't red hot every time we got in it
Huntington Beach has one of the best beaches in the area and, as many know, it is famous for it's surfing being the host of the US surfing championships. This makes it a young person's town but nonetheless it is clean and smart with a Main Street market on Tuesdays. Visitors must go to Ruby's on the end of the pier and savour the 50's style decor and dress.
We enjoyed the Regency Inn so much that we returned a further twice during our holiday. Our thanks to Sandie who even blocked the same room for us on those occasions.
We have visited many Best Western Hotels and this must be the best so far

Room Tip: Get a top floor room if possible. This limits the noise from above.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple