“Don't believe all the hype” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Huntington Beach Inn

Huntington Beach Inn
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Huntington Beach
san antonio texas
“Don't believe all the hype”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

Booked my stay during the worst wild fires in CA history! It was brown and bleek and smoke permeated everything...except the hotel. It was great! Clean, comfortable, very quiet for sleeping. Couldnt believe the hotel was booked. Who needs a view? The beach is across the street and downtown is 3 short blocks away...get out and walk! Manager was friendly and very professional. Room rate was on the money. Underground parking was very convenient. Did not make use of the workout room or other amenities...too busy taking in the rest of CA. Highly reccomend this hotel if you are the type of person who enjoys the basic pleasures. If you are looking to impress yourself, then I suggest that you look to the hyatt for $300.00 a nite. See you at the exact same places and beach from Best Western!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — televisions did not work well...all pictures were orange and very dark
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank calitotx07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
carpinteria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

Why did I not read reviews first! This place should be reported to every available site to warn people. When booking,clerk confirmed that there was indeed a spa, but never told us it was broken. When I looked on this website, I saw that it has been broken for a year! The wireless internet does not work in most of the rooms! What is this, 1950? Since when does one have to go to the lobby to use a laptop? There are no dvd players in the rooms, and the televisions are so old that they have no dvd hook-ups, so if you bring your own player you cant use it. We asked for bedding for the fold out couch, and were told that the fold outs were delivered by mistake and that there was no bedding available for it. As if!! The clerk finally took heart and located some. The "contintental breakfast" was straight from the AM/PM. Tiny 6 ounce cups for the watered bitter coffee, minimal condiments for coffee, one kind of cheap tea, crap mini muffins, apples, bananas and kiddie juice boxes. I am not kidding, no oatmeal, no cereal, no hot chocolate, no bread of any kind, nothing else. Just an insult.The towels in the rooms are of the acrylic/polyester variety that simply spread water around and scratch your skin. I will complain to the head office, but from reading old reviews I can see this has already been done, and this place is still a hell hole (albeit, an expensive one) Stay away from here at all costs! Seriously, these people should be held accountable for misleading people and giving the absolute minimum return for the maximum dollar.

• Liked — it is across the street (busy and dangerous) highway from the beach
  • Disliked — cheap low rate accomodations for maximum money
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank articarp

Travelers are raving about these Huntington Beach hotels

Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

you can just read my letter to best western corporate:

I am writing this letter to describe the unpleasant stay I recently experienced at the Best Western Huntington Beach Inn. I found service to be inhospitable and impolite and I have never experienced more aggressive behavior in any other hotel I have stayed at. I wanted to let your offices know of the behavior of the staff at this particular hotel because they do still carry the Best Western name and you should know that they are extremely poor representatives of what I am sure is an otherwise professional chain of hotels.

I booked my room reservations an entire month in advance since the weekend I would be staying there was my birthday and I wanted to make sure everything was in order. My intent from the beginning was to enjoy the room alone with my fiancé on 4/27/07. I had business in town the next day, Saturday, but afterward I had hoped to meet up with a few friends at the hotel and bring them up for a toast and to show them the room and view. What occurred was something quite different.

I checked in on 4/27/07 and I noticed that I was being given additional slips of paper to sign in addition to the rental agreement. An imprint of my credit card was taken and I was made to sign even though an amount was not filled in. I was told I was to be held responsible for any damage to the Jacuzzi and to the floor below should anything happen. I was also told I would be charged $300 if there was any evidence of cigarette smoke that blew in from the balcony. I was then was given a slip of paper that said I was also not allowed to have any parties or get-togethers in the room whatsoever or I would lose my rental deposit and be evicted. I was taken aback at this because I had intended to use the room for a benign get-together at some point during the weekend. There had been no notice of this particular strict rule upon making the reservation (on the booking confirmation, under ‘Advisements’, this is left blank) and I have never stayed at a hotel that had this sort of a policy. I raised this issue with the woman who checked me in and when I assured her that I was not having a “party” she said that they had had lots of “problems” at that hotel and told me “oh don’t worry the hotel can tell the difference between visitors and a party”.

Friday was rather uneventful until quite late that evening when we discovered that the balcony locks were defective. No one had made mention of this, but when you exit onto the balcony and close the door behind you (to prevent the smoke from entering and thus being charged $300), the sliding glass door locks behind you leaving you completely stranded out on the balcony. There was not a person in sight and we had no way of contacting the front desk. Eventually, after 4:00am, we finally saw a young man walking across the street and we yelled for him and were able to get him to go into the hotel and tell them of our predicament. The hotel employee who was finally able to open the bolt on our door told us that people get locked out “all the time”. If this is a known defect at this hotel then this is an extreme safety issue and I feel there should have been some sort of a ‘rescue’ procedure in place so people don’t have to spend the night out of doors. Seeing as I was there to have a good time I just chose to chalk the incident up to bad luck, but not something worth getting worked up over since we were eventually let back into our room.

My fiancé and I went out as we had planned and met up with 2 other couples at a restaurant. I very excitedly wanted to bring them back to my room to show them the view and they also helped me bring up some packages. A minute or two after we stepped into the room, the phone rang and a very shrill, rude girl who I had not met before told me “those people in your room, they’re leaving now!” I was shocked at the tone of her voice and I explained to her what the person who checked me in had told me and I assured her we were not doing anything resembling a party. In a very snide manner she then told me “I seriously doubt anyone told you that”. I started to ask her about the hotel’s policy and asked if having people in my room meant that I would lose some part of my deposit and she told me “no, I'll just call the police!” She further explained that she could “see” us in the elevator and could "see everything" that was going on because they “have cameras”. I was pretty outraged at how this person was talking to me; I was being condescended to and treated quite poorly. I asked my friends to leave and then I called the girl back and asked her again about the policy. She apparently did not want to discuss it further so she just told me “look, you have a choice” and then said nothing further. I said, “I chose to never check into a Best Western again.” to which she responded “fine with me!” and hung up on me
I was pretty much shaking after that, I was very disappointed that I had spent so much money on a hotel room ($260/night) thinking my memories would be great, only to find myself treated worse than I ever have at any hotel anywhere. My friends were embarrassed for me and I was absolutely mortified. I felt like I had just been scolded like some idiotic child. Just because a hotel has had bad experiences with other people (presumably the surf crowd down there) does not give a hotel license to persecute all other guests. As a matter of fact I don’t think there is any excuse for such poor behavior. Apparently this treatment extends to other members of the front desk staff since upon checking out the next morning no one inquired about my stay. When I mentioned that I had been locked out on the balcony till 4am on 4/28, the woman who checked me out (who had been the same woman to check me in) just laughed and said “ oh, that happened to you, too?” I was also not thanked for my business, I was simply handed a receipt for $577.00 and sent on my way.

Two other factors I didn’t want to disturb anyone with was the fact that there was some sort of oily accretion on the sides of the room’s Jacuzzi (presumably from a previously tenant) and during our stay the bathroom smelled like burned rubber and sewage. I am a very patient person and I can be very understanding about things that may be beyond the control of the hotel, but I just have to draw the line at rude, aggressive, condescending behavior toward a paying customer. A friend booked this room for me but after doing some research on Yahoo Travel I see that this is not the first time someone has been treated rudely at this establishment. Others have claim to have been warned that they were being “watched” on cameras and/or evicted because of a third member of their party. Had I known this beforehand I surely would not have chosen to stay at such an establishment.

I understand this may be an independently owned franchise hotel and your corporate offices may not have any recourse or say in the business operations of this particular hotel. I would like to have my faith restored in the Best Western name, but more importantly I wanted to tell Best Western International Inc. exactly what is occurring under their business name. I will also do everything in my power to advise my friends and colleagues in the UCLA and San Francisco communities about my experience and advise them to steer clear of this hotel.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank weare138
Pacifica, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

The only real plus to this hotel was the location. That is great. However, the "rooftop spa" listed in their ammenities was out of order. I would have liked to know that prior to my arrival. The rooms ere relatively clean...but definitly old. The towels and bedding were low quality. I was surprised in this day and age that there was no "on-demand" in room movies.

I paid $230 per night, and for that price I expected better ammenities.

I realize I was paying for the location...but I expected more. I was disappointed.

• Liked — locatiion
  • Disliked — hotel ammenities
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mclaug442
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2006

My husband and I recently visited Huntington Beach, California and were looking for a reasonable priced hotel in a great location. The Best Western hotel on PCH was an excellant choice. The hotel is in a great location right across the street from the beach. Our room had a view of the oil pump and Taco Bell, but the beach view in the background made up for it. The rooms were kept clean although we had to constantly ask for clean towels. After cleaning the rooms the towels were often not replaced. The continental breakfast was nothing to talk about. The hotel serves only the minimum requirements which consisted of coffee, childrens box juices, mini muffins and some danish. There is an IHOP whithin walking distance (about 4 blocks) and our room had a small refrigerator so we visited a nearby grocery store and purchased fruit and juices. We overlooked these minor things because of the great location and the reasonable price of the hotel. Lastly, if you visit Huntington Beach and stay at the Best Western, you must walk down the pier and visit a small diner callede Ruby's. They have excellant burgers and milk shakes. I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — maid service - we had to constantly ask for clean towels - did not speak any English
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room on the street side of the hotel - not the side with the view of the Taco Bell
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
5 Thank smiz
Phoenix, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2006

This hotel was clean, comfortable and conveniently located. The water pressure was fine, the air conditioner worked well, and the parking was free. In my opinion some of the negative reviews for this hotel are the result of unreasonable expectations. It's a Best Western, people! The Hilton is right down the street (for another $150 a night).

Sure, it's not the least expensive hotel around, but it's right across the street from the beach and an easy stroll to the bars and restautrants on Main Street. No, you don't get panoramic ocean views, but you still get a decent view of the ocean. It's certainly pleasant enough to have a drink on the small balcony area and enjoy the weather and scenery.

And that oil well that seems to have freaked some people out? It was right outside my window and it is completely silent. I found it to be a harmless bit of local color. You see these small oil wells all over the place in this area, stuck in the oddest locations.

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank uplate
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

will NOT stay here again at $190 a night I would not recommend this place.not clean . After the first night, we had to get out. I found another Best Western hotel 1 1/2 miles up the pch
very hard to explain the oil well out side window see pictures

• Stayed June 2006