“Not recommended for a romantic getaway”

Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 2, 2006

Due to the 4th of July holiday weekend the property was crowded and left much to be desired. We were hoping for a relaxing weekend of pampering and 5 star amenities but found that the $350 we were quoted by American Express was not worth the room or what we found. We were supposed to have an ocean view room but ended up with a court yard view and the management was not able to help or to offer any solution. In fact, we waited over an hour for the manager to call us in our room while he said he would "see what he could do." The pool is quite small and the options for dining seemed limited.

I would recommend this property for a family that is visiting from outside of California and is not necessarily looking for a luxury vacation but something nice. Its a huge property and does not have close access to any amenities so I would recommend renting a car.

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank luxuryfinder

Reviewed August 1, 2006

I stayed with my family at the Hyatt for 1 week, and we had a blast! The hotel was terrific. Every morning, we ate breakfast in the hyatt's regency club, and the food was delcious, and then we went to huntington beach. We boogie boarded, learned how to surf, body boarded, swam, and played on the sand. We later ate lunch every day, at one of the fabulous restaurants, that are located on main street. All of the restaurants were recommended by the regency club concierge, and the food was excellent at all the restaurants. After, we went back to the hotel to swim in the fantastic pool, and just relaxed. After, we went back to our ocean suite, took showers, watched tv, and rested. At the hotel, there were many activities, like the pool, biking along the boardwalk, the tennis courts, and many others. We ate lunch at other restaurants along main street, and the food was great. This was a typical day on our vacation. I am planning on bringing my family back to the hyatt in huntington beach, for another vacation this month!! I recommend this hotel to anyone, especially families. This hotel is EXCELLENT!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank tennisbelle
Reviewed July 29, 2006

I’ve traveled to many places (near and far) and have stayed at most of the major hotel chains – from 2 to 5 stars, and this place is right at the top with the best of them! I must admit that I have a few minor complaints; a few at no fault of the hotel, the others are. I’ll start with those cons, and then tell you all the GREAT things about this hotel. I’ll also give you some helpful hints to hopefully save you money and frustration, and I’ve posted some great pics for you to enjoy.

MINOR CONS: (1) The only option you have for parking is valet. There is no self parking. Valet parking will cost you $21/night. I think this is a bit much considering the amount of money you will inevitably spend. I did ask about alternative parking and was advised that we could park across the street at the beach and that there was metered parking on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) which is directly in front of the hotel. True, but I don’t think your car can be left there overnight, so valet is indeed your only option. Also, the valet area could be better structured. The guys are great and do a good job, but when valet is busy, it could be difficult exiting and you may have to wait a bit. (2) The other thing I would say is a disturbance – but no big deal and at no fault of the hotel, is the noise from PCH. If you’re lucky enough to get a direct ocean facing room (which, by the way, is worth the money you will spend), you will also be facing PCH – which is a VERY busy highway. We had to close the patio doors one evening because it was just too loud. The good news is that after a certain time, the traffic dies down. (3) The other problem with an ocean facing room is the smoke from the Fire Pits on the beach. The smoke gets so thick at times that it’s almost suffocating. This is a problem from sunset to about 10:00pm. The beach is typically cleared out at 9:00pm. Once you get used to it, it’s not so bad, but on our first night we had to stay inside the room and close the doors. (4) As with any resort, the food and spa services are OUTRAGEOUSLY priced! Case in point - my husband ordered 2 scoops of ice cream in a waffle cone from the pizza place and was charged over $5.00! And, what should come as no surprise, you'll pay triple for room service. I didn’t try the food because I couldn’t justify spending that much. Now for the good stuff:

STAFF: Courteous and attentive are words I would use to describe the staff. We had no major problems with valet. Yes, on departure there is a bit of a wait, but that’s to be expected. The wait is no longer than any other valet. Keep in mind that you will be one of MANY guests waiting for your car and these guys are running around like crazy, in the heat, to serve you. A little patience and understanding goes a long way here. Blame the hotel and not them. Special thanks to James, the agent at the front desk for his kindness. He went above and beyond to get us an upgrade to a beautiful suite (Director’s Suite)! We were addressed by our last names the entire stay by everyone – valet, wait staff, front desk, even in the Club Lounge. We found everyone to be very friendly and helpful. Our waiter at The Californian restaurant was one of the best we’ve ever had the pleasure of being served by (wish I could remember his name, but it was Friday evening, 7/28/06). First class all the way! I requested, through their e-concierge service, to have champagne and other goodies delivered to our room within an hour of our arrival. My husband and I were starving when we arrived, so we dropped our bags and went downstairs for a bite to eat. When we returned, our champagne and goodies were neatly set on the table and milk was placed in the refrigerator (to go with the cookies). So far, so good!

THE ROOMS: NOTE – in a conservation effort, towels and linens (sheets, etc.) are only changed every 3 days, unless otherwise requested. This information is clearly posted on the bathroom counter. I noticed another reviewer complaining that towels were never replenished – this is why. One 10 second phone call to housekeeping will fix the problem. We stayed in the Director’s Suite. The furnishings, while lovely, won’t knock you off your feet – but the views WILL. Ours was a 2-room, 2 bath suite. It had a living room with sleeper sofa and bedroom with king bed. Both bathrooms were spacious. The first bath – in the living room, had a spacious glass enclosed shower stall, granite countertop, and marble floors and walls. The 2nd bath (in the bedroom) had a sunken jetted tub and separate glass enclosed shower (big enough for 2). The tub was large, but only big enough for one person. Trying to get 2 adults would be a tight squeeze. There is a double granite sink in the master bath along with a separate toilet area. Both bathrooms were totally covered in marble (floors & walls) and had sliding entry doors. There was plenty of closet and storage space in the suite and two TVs housed in beautiful armoires. There was also a dresser in the bedroom. The amenities were Portico – lovely essential oil (eucalyptus) tinged shower gels, soaps, and lotions. A hair dryer, iron and ironing board was also supplied. There was a large patio off of both rooms with a small table and two chairs on the living room patio, and a lounger on the bedroom patio. Direct ocean views! In the morning, you don’t even have to get out of the bed to enjoy the view! We had no problems with noise from the neighboring rooms. The bed, while dreamy with down comforter and lots of feather pillows (you can request foam if you have allergies), did leave our backs sore the next day. Yoga stretches were in order (by the way, there is a special channel you can tune to in the morning for your own in-room Yoga session). A small coffee pot and Starbucks coffee is provided in each room as is a SMALL refrigerator. With the suites, you get access to the Club level lounge. They serve a continental breakfast in the morning, snacks & fruit in the afternoon, and hor'dourves and cocktails in the evening. All is free EXCEPT cocktails – which goes on the honor bar system. The in-room movies were expensive at $12.99 (most other hotels charge $10). They had on Demand TV (in case you missed you favorite TV show), games, and Internet access. There is also a radio and DVD player. The local newspaper is provided each morning - not sure if this is just a suite feature or not. I did see several others placed in front of the doors - but they could've been suites. I had a chance to peek at a King & double room; also very nice. The deluxe rooms have a separate sitting area.

THE RESORT: I notice a reviewer companining of loud talking teenagers. What you have to keep in mind is that others are on vacation too and also want to have a good time. Teenagers “loud talking” or kids running around, is to be expected at a family resort. Yes, there are a lot of small children running around, but they were NO problem. We were too busy doing our own thing to notice. BUT, I will say that the pool was saturated with the kiddies. As a matter of fact, there were more kids than adults in the pool (and there was LOTS of playful screaming). If you’re looking for a resort with NO kids, you should check out one of the all inclusive adult only resorts. Otherwise expect to see and hear children. If you want a little peace and quiet at this Hyatt, check out the Jacuzzi grottos near the spa. This is a lovely gated area away from the noise of the pool. There are 3 or 4 separate jacuzzi’s behind the gates and I saw NO CHILDREN - Very nice. There are also cute little “chill out” points scattered throughout. For example, just past the jacuzzi grotto and before you get to the spa, there is a lovely outdoor living area complete with outdoor fireplace! In the evening, you can sit on the patio outside of the lounge and The Californian restaurant. There’s a fire pit which is lit at sunset, and comfortable lounge furniture is set around the fire. Again, the spa was overpriced. For example, a 25 minute hand & foot massage was $90 + 18% gratuity and a 50 minute massage was $145-190 depending on service. I booked massages for me and my husband and then cancelled. I preferred we spend that money on something else (like our kid’s college education). I did go to the spa to check it out. Lovely enough, but I’ve seen better (and for the money, I would expect better). Lots for kids to do – there’s Camp Hyatt and onsite daycare. Beach access is a cinch with the hotel provided walkway that crosses PCH. The grounds – landscape, water fountains, are just beautiful. The grounds crew does a bang up job keeping everything pretty. All food in the hotel is overpriced. With so many options outside of the resort (many within walking distance) there is no need to spend outrageous money inside (unless you’re #1 interest is convenience). If you can, get an ocean or partial ocean view. Some of the courtyard view rooms were directly above Pete’s restaurant, and on Friday & Saturday nights there is a live band. Ask not to be placed in a room near the restaurants. Note that if you get a pool view room - it will be loud during pool hours.
The beach is directly across the street. What separates the hotel from the beach is a 4 lane road called Pacific Coast Highway. One reviewer stated that the walk to the water from the walkway is too long. This depends on how you define long. It took us all of 5 minutes to get to the water from the walkway. You do have to walk through the sand to get to the water, but isn’t this the case with any beach you visit? I don’t know of a beach where you park your car and step right out into the ocean. You typically have to park, walk across the lot, to the sand, and then walk down to the water. The average person will have no problem with the walk.

WHAT TO BRING & HOW TO DRESS: Beach stuff like chairs, umbrellas, and fire wood if you plan on utilizing the fire pits on the beach (Of course if you’re flying in, this may be difficult). Also bring stuff for the fire pit such as marshmallows, graham crackers, chocolate and skewers to make s’mores. The two bottles of water will likely not be enough, so bring water bottles. THE FRIG IS SMALL, so bring the smallest size bottles you can get. There is NO FREEZER so don’t bring anything that needs to be frozen. Bring comfortable, casual clothes as all restaurants in the area are casual. If you feel like dressing up one night – fine, but it’s not necessary.

WHERE TO EAT: There are MANY choices outside of the hotel –many within walking distance. For example, if you head South on PCH (approx. 1-2 miles from the hotel), you will run into downtown Huntington Beach. LOTS of food options (I hear the Sugar Shack is good for breakfast and across the street from that is IHOP). NOTE: Do NOT attempt to drive to downtown on a Friday or Saturday night. Put on your comfortable shoes and take the nice 15-20 minute stroll. There is no parking structure (that we found) and street parking is at a minimum. There are no traffic lights (just stop signs) so it can take a VERY long time to travel just a few feet (because of pedestrians). If you’ve ever been to Vegas, NYC or Santa Monica, you’ll know what I mean. Also, if you have a car, you’ll find about 50 different places to eat on Beach Blvd. Just exit the hotel, turn right on Pacific, and then left onto Beach Blvd (heading North). You’ll find your typical fast food places such as McDonald’s and Burger King, as well as California favorite In & Out (if you’ve never tried an In & Out burger, you MUST before leaving CA). You’ll also find Chili’s, Cheesecake Factory, Denny’s, BJ’s Brewery, Coco’s, Marie Callender’s, and much more. There are theree eateries and one cocktail lounge at the resort – Pete’s, The Californian, The Red Chair Lounge and the pizzeria (which has only been open a few weeks). NOTE: the literature at the hotel mentions an ice cream parlor called Hula Hoops. Hula has been replaced by the pizzeria. Pete’s is a nice casual place to eat or hang out. They have a pretty good drink menu, but they are EXPENSIVE – as much as $14.00! This is because they come in souvenir glasses and you have no option to order it without the silly monkey cup. ASK FOR PRETZEL BREAD – they’re delicious but not on the menu. There is live music on Friday & Saturday night, and a BBQ buffet each Saturday night from June through September. The Californian is a “fancy dancy” restaurant with “fancy dancy” food and prices. In my opinion, the menu is lacking, with only a handful of (very expensive) entrees which are beautifully presented. I wound up just watching my husband eat because nothing appealed to me. However, my husband thoroughly enjoyed his steak. They have an extensive wine list, and delicious bread. Try the olive bread. They will not place the bread on your table – someone walks around and offers it to guests. Sit outside on the patio. On Friday & Saturday nights there is a jazz band (which was really just a guy playing beautiful guitar). The lounge is just that. A nice place to have a drink in an upscale, non-pretentious environment. Be prepared to shell out at least $10 a drink. After a certain time, they offer ½ price champagne; if it’s the house champagne – don’t bother - it’s horrible. Didn’t try the pizza, but the chef was from the NYC area so it must be good! There is also a grocery store onsite. Good place to stock up on snacks for your room. For a charge, they will make picnic baskets for you. Good idea for the beach or just sitting on your patio. There is an arcade next to the pizzeria for the kids, and you can rent boogie boards and bikes for the beach.

THE FINE PRINT: There is a $9/day resort fee. This covers 2 free bottles of Evian water a day, free use of the tennis court (which I didn’t even see), discounted bike rentals, and other stuff we didn’t utilize. Also note that 18% gratuity is added to all spa services, and 20% is added to room service along with a $2.50 delivery fee. You’ll also pay for beach chair rentals. The hotel offers Beach Butler service, but we didn’t utilize it. Check with the hotel for details.

All in all we had a great stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone – from honeymooners to families – there’s enough for everyone to do (especially if you love the beach). For the couple looking for a romantic getaway, you can't go wrong with an ocean facing room. My husband and I both said we would stay here again only if we could get a direct ocean view. It's worth the money. You can make it as fun or quiet and romantic as you want. Yes you will pay a pretty penny to stay here, but we felt it was worth it (we spent $1200 total for 2 nights - this included dinner on 2 nights and champagne w/snacks). If you’re on a budget, get a regular room, load up on snacks, and eat outside of the resort. You’ll save even more by bringing your own beach chairs. I’m sure you’ll get the same quality service in a standard room as you would in a suite. Happy travels!!!

Stayed: June 2006
13  Thank 2seetheworld
Reviewed July 23, 2006

it's a very nice property. very beach convenient with the walkway over PCH ( but the walk is a bit long to get to the ocean)

Extremely large property so personalized attention is hard to get. very slow valet car retrieval. We only stayed for one night but we loved it. The rooms are very nice. very comfortable thanks god for QUEEN beds instead of double. makes it easier with kids sharing a bed. We booked a spa view package but still got lucky and has a distant ocean view though a courtyard and archway.

only downside i would say is that they should offer beach chairs as a courtesy rather than a rental. perahps that is available on another rate package..i do not know. Other proprties of this quality and price typically offer beach chairs for guest use. that being said the beach chair rental was reasonably priced ( $8/day)

we would definitely go back. the kids loved the waves at huntington beach and the huntington beach pier and main street had a good amount to see/shop.

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank likes_travel_3323
Reviewed July 10, 2006

We stayed five nights here just prior to July 4th, so the hotel was very full. Despite this, service stayed excellent, but be warned it's a place popular with young families. You will not enjoy quiet times by the pool. The room was pretty spacious and well equipped, and the breakfast was excellent and reasonably priced. For a hotel of this size, it's a bit lacking in variety of dining facilities. The spa treatments are seriously overpriced.. But overall I think most people would be well satisfied here.

2  Thank jonwilks
Reviewed June 25, 2006

I spent a week at the Hyatt in mid June with my wife and 2 children. The hotel is very nice but the service is not quite as good as a JW Marriott. Huntington Beach is a great place to vacation and the people are very friendly. I guess I liked the city more than the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank VisitorFromMN
A TripAdvisor Member
Scottsdale Arizona
Reviewed June 12, 2006

My two adult daughters and I spent 3 nights in the hotel. We stayed in the Directors' Suite($500 per night) and it was too pricey for the service we received. Our bathroom incidentals were never replenished during our 3 night stay. Our sheets, which were a little soiled from eye make-up were not changed, and the bed was simply remade. We did not receive turn down service, until we requested it, and then that lasted only one night. When the room was cleaned after our first night, the coffee tables were not cleaned, as there were crumbs from muffins on them. The bathrooms had not been cleaned properly--only the towels seemed to have been changed. We called housekeeping to re-clean the room. The sofa bed in the living area was extremely uncomfortable, and lacked the proper bedding. We were constantly calling the front desk, and after checking out, nothing was done to credit our bill. Very dissatisfied with the level of service.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#4 of 18 in Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!