“Mixed emotions about the hotel”

Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
Scottsdale Arizona
Reviewed June 12, 2006

My two adult daughters and I spent 3 nights in the hotel. We stayed in the Directors' Suite($500 per night) and it was too pricey for the service we received. Our bathroom incidentals were never replenished during our 3 night stay. Our sheets, which were a little soiled from eye make-up were not changed, and the bed was simply remade. We did not receive turn down service, until we requested it, and then that lasted only one night. When the room was cleaned after our first night, the coffee tables were not cleaned, as there were crumbs from muffins on them. The bathrooms had not been cleaned properly--only the towels seemed to have been changed. We called housekeeping to re-clean the room. The sofa bed in the living area was extremely uncomfortable, and lacked the proper bedding. We were constantly calling the front desk, and after checking out, nothing was done to credit our bill. Very dissatisfied with the level of service.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed June 11, 2006

Stayed at this hotel after being recommended, however I would advise any holiday maker from going here.

The hotel is geared purely to the business traveller/conferences and not at someone looking for a vacation.

We had noisy teenagers next to our rooms and the hotel did nothing to combat this. Indeed, on the first morning found myself giving a statement to the LA police, after witnessing an incident!!!

The management were poor in responding to my requests and when they messed up our bill, at no point made an apology.

Jeffrery on conceirge was the one bright light in the hotel, providing really impressive help and avice.

Watch out for the $9 a night 'service fee' that they put on your bill. No one informed us of this extra charge and as we were staying in two romms for 8 nights, this charge was an extra unwelcome charge at the end of our stay.

My advice is avoid this place if you are looking for a relaxing holiday!

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank Andrew_Andrea
Reviewed June 9, 2006

We were supposed to spend two nights here before heading to Disneyland. We had been traveling for about a week and wanted a few days at the beach before heading on with our trip. I guess I didn't read the info carefully because I thought this was right on the beach. It wasn't. You have to walk across the crosswalk the goes over PCH to get to the beach.

I didn't feel that it was family friendly at all. One night to valet park over night was $21 and the only self parking was across the street at the beach. We arrived around 11:30AM and wanted to get some lunch. The only place open for lunch during the week is the fanciest restaurant and you don't really feel appropriately dressed in shorts and tops. We asked the guy at the bell station if he could recommend some place for us to get lunch and he told us there was a hamburger place about two blocks away. So we walked and it was nearly a mile to get there. Two extremely long city blocks. Right across the street from the hotel was a snack shack on the beach where we could have gotten something to eat. And we should have been able to get something to eat at the pool, but he never mentioned that.

Very convention oriented and very adult oriented. They have a kids club, but it really isn't oriented for 12 year old kids. More of a "hide the kids away from the adult guests" type of club to me. There is an on-site ice cream shop, but it doesn't open until after noon and closes early in the evening, about 6 or 7. So if you eat dinner at Pete Mallory's (located at the hotel), you can't get ice cream for dessert a little while later.

This hotel is the most southern business on the PCH in Huntington Beach. Right next door is the Hilton, but it didn't seem much friendlier. I imagine the spa would have excellent services, but we didn't use the spa, much too pricey. Also no guest laundry on site, only laundry service.

We left after one night and were glad to go. We won't stay here again. We'll find something a little more friendly.

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank Minnie25
Reviewed May 29, 2006

We checked in on May 27, 2006 and stayed two nights. The hotel is large and located across Huntington Beach, which is accessible via a walkway from the hotel. We reserve an oceanfront room, which was large and very comfortable. Bathroom is sweet with shear curtains and has an extra long tub and Portico tolietries and marble sink. We liked our room, but not the location - on the first floor. We called to move to a higher floor, but they were sold out. Although we had a view of the beach, it was slightly obstructed by palm tree and distracted by traffic (not the sweepting view as describe on the hotel's website, a sweeping view of an ocean is Jenner or Sea Ranch in Gualuala California - thats was you call breathingtaking!). The room, on the first floor, faced the Pacific Coast Highway. The patio doors open fully, but we cannot keep it open long enough since the traffic noise was too much. It helped to keep it close and run the air condition - disappointing. The price of the room was too expensive for the view of the room. The pool with crowded with a lot of sunbathers. The weather was not hot enough for us to swim (temp was about 63-67 degrees F and breezy). The doorman and hotel staff were friendly. The bellman with efficient with the delivery of your bags and car (overnight valet). We ate at the hotel's casual restaurant, Surf City?. On both nights, the service was slow slow slow. The first night, we waited for over 15 minutes for a wait staff to come by; pretzels were delivered but our drink and dinner order was not taken until another 15 minutes later. On the second night, we waited 40 minutes to sit (so make reservations early), this time pretzels were not served, drink and dinner order took over 15 minutes to get to us and it took nearly 20 minutes for my todller to get her food - moms you know what I'm talking about. Otherwise, the food was good and especially the "gourmet" banana split. There are programs for children 3 & over, which is great, which is a consideration for us to stay again. We walked to the beach, but the sand was pretty dirty. We also walked to Main Street and it was overcrowded and very noisy, which would been okay if we were a few years younger with no baby. The attire is pretty casual. Overall, we liked the room and would stay there again for the children's program.

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank CBO5
Reviewed May 24, 2006

I recently stayed at this resort and loved it. We stayed only 3 nights but we wished it was more. The Hotel was lovely and has some great amenities such as a heated pool, walkway to the beach and even a Ice Cream Shop. We ate one night at Pete's Sunset Grille and the food was excellent as were the drinks YUM. I had the Shrimp Scampi pasta and it was the best I have ever had. I ddi use the business center 3 times to access the internet and it was surpiring affordable at $5.00 for 15 mins. This is much better than other deluxe resorts I have stayed in. Make sure you visit the hot tubs. They are hidden over by the spa and were never crowded. We loved them. As for the area, I loved Huntington Beach and I would never stay anywhere again. The town was great and the pier was great. At the end of the Pier is a 50's Style diner called Ruby's which was great. I wish we would have know about it earlier...we would have gone more than once. We also ate at The Sugar shack for breakfast and the food was good and reasonable. I really love this hotel and I can not wait to go back. A side note we also went to the Aquarium of the Pacific in long beach and it was the best aquarium I have ever been to. The shows and exiibits were great!!! also save your appeitite because there is a Bubba Gumps outside the aquarium.

Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank Jennibean811
Reviewed May 21, 2006

My wife, 8 year old daughter and I stayed here May 18-21. In one word, the place is fabulous. We had a Regency Club King room on the 4th floor overlooking the long fountain, with a partial ocean view. The room was very spacious with all of the amenities one expects (but often don't get) in good hotels. The king bed was very comfortable, as was the roll-away used by our daughter. The room included a small refrigerator and bar set-up, a nice sitting area and a balcony. Since we booked the Regency Club we also had access to the Club room which had to be the best deal going. For about ten bucks a room (not a person) they provided a very nice breakfast (cereals, pastry, bagels, smoked salmon, juice, etc.) and also unlimited soft drinks and bottled water throughout the day, snacks (cookies and mixed nuts), light Hors D'oerves and wine in the evening. The Club room also has free internet access and a large screen TV.
The hotel has beautifully maintained garden grounds with a large heated pool and spa as well as a separate Jacuzzi spa area. It also has a wonderful Spa. My wife had an herbal wrap she reported as "heaven." I had a deep tissue massage that was among the best I have ever received (ask for Maren). Both were a little pricey but well within usual hotel spa prices. The Spa facilites were outstanding - very quiet and relaxing, with Jacuzzi spa, steam room and sauna. If Spa services are a big item for you, this place is a must. Also, connected to the spa is a nice fitness center with the usual cardio equipment, free weights and weight machines.
The hotel has two restaurants and a pool side restaurant service. We did not use the pool side service. One of the restaurants, Pete Mallory's Sufside grill is located in the small shopping area in the hotel. It has a limited menu - mainly burgers, fries, salads, nachos, etc. The food was well prepared and well served. The portions are very large, so you might consider sharing (no charge). Each dish was more than enough for two adults. The other restaurant, The Californian, was really top notch. We reserved a small private room for my wife's birthday dinner (there are two private rooms available, one seats up to 12 people, the other 25 - we used the smaller one). I can only say we were treated like royalty. The service was impeccable and every dish was superbly prepared. There was a very modest extra charge for the private room ($50). They had no problem with us bringing in our own wines - charging a modest corking fee of $15 per bottle; and our own birthday cake which they stored, presented and served for a $45 fee.
Overall, this had to be one of the most troublefree short vacations we have had. The entire hotel staff, maids, Maitre D', waiters, Concierge, front desk were all friendly, helpful and efficient at their jobs. Somebody or perhaps several bodies are obviously doing a first rate job selecting and training staff and it shows. It also helped arriving and getting settled in during the week rather than the weekend. It was much quieter Thursday and most of Friday, filling up late Friday and Saturday with the many wedding parties that make use of the breathtaking views of the beach.
Huntington Beach is itself stunning, with more than eight miles of wide, clean beaches and an ocean surf that earned it the name of "Surf City." The main part of the town by Huntington Beach Pier is about a fifteen minute walk from the hotel along the paved boardwalk. We rented bicycles daily and rode for miles along the boardwalk - the hotel provided two for one coupons. We ate at two restaurants in town - Ruby's (at the end of the Pier, and Duke's at the foot of the Pier. Ruby's is a classic Burger & Shake place decorated in 1950's "Malt Shop" style. Don't even ask about the fat content of the food - but it was all good. Duke's is a good Hawaiian style Seafood and Steak place right at the foot of the Pier. The food was good and well served. The only problem was getting a large enough table for our party of eight - we finally settled for two adjacent tables of four.
This hotel is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but for a few days it is well within reach of most in the middle class. We used our AAA club membership to get a nice discount on the room. In addition to the room rate there is an 11% tax, a $21 Valet parking fee and a $9 resort fee (which actually provides decent value with a newspaper, bottled water, unlimited local calls, access to the tennis court, spa and fitness center facilities). It was nice not to have the feeling of being "nickel and dimed to death."
If you are going to Huntington Beach (and everybody should, at least once if they like magnificent beaches), we can strongly recommend the Huntington Hyatt.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank Kelmag711
Reviewed April 30, 2006

I treated myself and my 12 year-old daughter to a one night mid-week stay in April during spring break. We had a truly wonderful experience! They were even kind enough to let us check in early. The room was luxierous, comfy beds and wonderful linen, desk and chairs, one lounging chair. Coffe/tea maker, water bottles in the small fridge were included. The room had a sand-and-sea shell motif, but done with class, including a carpet fabric that is very clevery made to look like sand - nice detail! Deluxe bathroom with very nice toiletries and white terry robes in the hallway closet. Everything was impeccably clean and in order. No strange odors, no stains anywhere! No noisy neigbors or drunks in the hallway at 2 am. What a relief!

We had a yummy late night room service dinner on Wednesday: the food arrived on time, delivered by a very polite young man. We watched two movies that night - this is the life! The next morning before check out, we ordered a delicious room service breakfast, delivered by a young man so incredibly sweet and polite, I wished I could have tipped him $100. We then used the beautiful lagoon pool and large jacuzzi, which are surrounded by gorgeous landscaping.

Later that morning, a small minus turned in to a big plus: While using the pool, allthough I had planned to finish my orange juice and granola with fruit and yoghurt and (a porcelain pitcher of honey) upon returning to our room, my breakfast tray with left overs had been removed, but at no extra charge, a new tray with a full breakfast and a glas of orange juice was swiftly delivered. I simply made a polite and sunny call to and they took care of it - proof that if you're nice, most likely you will be treated nicely! They also let us stay in the room until noon instead of the usual 11.

We didn't use the resort spa, shops or restaurants this time around. After checking in, we walked to Ruby's Diner at the end of the Huntington Beach pier and had lunch. After check out we went across the pediestrian over pass (so as to avoid having hotel guests being run over by heavy Pacific Coast Highway traffic!) and played volleyball on the beach.

It was worth every penny - my daughter and I had such a great time. It's the perfect place to stay for couples, families, or singles who want to luxuriate for a day or two, but one could also easily use the resort as a base for a 1 week SoCal vacation. However, one night is far more affordable for us middle class folks, who for a day can pretend we're at the Ritz Carlton! All staff members (front desk, room serviice, pool attendant, etc.) were polite and sunny, but geniune - they seem to enjoy their job!

I booked this room online only a few nights before checking in and got a very good rate at $245. In addition: 11 % room tax was $26.95, resort fee was $9. Exceptional money value! Far too many hotels these days get away with below average service and rooms/facilities when it comes to their middle class customers - the kind of service a wealthy clientele would never put up with!

And no, I don't have any stocks in the Hyatt company - I'm simply a happy customer, a happy mother who had a fun stay with her daughter and wanted to share with the rest of you!

• Stayed: April 2006
#2 of 18 in Newport Beach
Best Western Surf City
Best Western Surf City
#6 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!