“it was fun!! great hotel”

Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
LA, CA
“it was fun!! great hotel”
Reviewed September 13, 2005

we stayed at the Hyatt for 4 days in the end of august with our 2 1/2 yr old and 4 yr old! the best part was that we checked our car, and never used it again until we checked out! we brought our bikes from home with a little attachable wagon for the kids, and rode everywhere! we parked the bikes in the hotel bike rack and it was great! every morning we would wake up and get the bikes and ride to town for breakfast!
the hotel is child friendly , the only thing that would be great was if they had a playground ! the room was great, the only thing was that ours was at the far end, so it ws always a 10 mnute walk to the room! it was fun and relaxing(as relaxing as anything can be with a 2 and 4 yr old)

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank susan898

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia
Reviewed September 5, 2005

Stayed here for three nights in early September with our family of four. Beach location is terrific, room was spacious and immaculate. Great AAA rate too. Paid $225 per night for the first two nights, rate change to $247.50 for the third evening. Valet parking was $20 per day. Purchased our Disneyland tickets at the front desk ($76 per person for a one day park hopper) and the quick drive to Anaheim made for a truly memorable day with Mickey. The Hyatt is within walking distance of many restaurants and shops. Kids loved the surf shops with their incredible selection of clothes and gear. Duke's was outstanding for dinner. Breakfast at No Ka Oi was excellent as well. Also tried The Longboard for a quick dinner. It was average, but the outside tables made for good 'theater' on a lovely Friday evening. We ate two meals at the Hyatt. Lunch poolside was great. Dinner in the casual Pete Mallory's was very ordinary, unfortunately. The hotel is much larger than I expected. Beautiful public spaces, lush landscaping, and a dedicated staff enhance an excellent hotel experience.

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank beachmusic
Hoffman Estates, IL
Reviewed July 26, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend at the Hyatt. It was great! I can't quite get some of the other negative reviews I have seen as we had a great expeience. The service was excellent, everyone from the front desk to housekeeping was friendly and prompt. The location cannot be beat. It is a beautiful 10-15 minute walk along the beach to get into town where the restaurant/bar possibilities are numerous. This resort is definately geared towards families. Kids seem to be king here and my husband and I have sworn that we will bring ours back next time. It never seemed like their were too many or that they were loud or unruly. Many little extra are offered to keep the kids entertained such as drive-in movies at the pool two nights a week and "smores" packages to take out to the beach and roast out on one of the many public fire pits. The pool is not huge but, hey, who needs it when you have the world's largest pool within walking distance? I say get a boogey board and head to the beach! Also, if you can swing it, the Regency Club is a great perk. The spread of food is such that you really don't have to go out for meals unless you want to.

9 Thank pattyatips
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 10, 2005

We are from the LA area and we decided to stay at the Hyatt based upon the strong user reviews, and it was a great choice! The hotel grounds are lovely, everyone that assisted us was extremely helpful, activities for the kids, and the rooms were very modern with great bedding. Although you can really enjoy yourself just lingering on the grounds, it is about a 2 minute walk across a bridge to the beach. If you don't mind a lovely stroll for about 15-20 minutes along the beach you will be at Main Street which is an area with a lot of stores, restaurants, and the Pier. We didn't touch our car for two days, and we really enjoyed the walking.

Just a few small warnings - The grounds are quite large so you may have a long walk to your room. Ask for a coupon for the "Smores kit" at the front desk so you don't have to buy one for $9 dollars. Based upon the reviews from the others the hotel seems to be packed on holiday weekends and they charge you full price then, so you will probably have a much better experience on non-holiday weekends.

We thought the hotel was fantastic and we look forward to many returns! Enjoy!

6 Thank Bcsumaya
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2005

First off, I am convinced that every one of the positive reviews on this website are from management or owners of this resort, as everyone I encountered during my stay at this hotel was having a lousy experience. I booked this hotel based on this website’s reviews, which now I feel its being used as a tool to persuade people into staying at this dump. Truly unethical and misleading!

My wife and I visited this hotel this past weekend (4th of July Weekend) and checked out on Tuesday the 5th. I must say that my overall experience was so bad, that not only will I never return, I will do everything I can do to tell people about my experience. For $350 a night, plus the required minimum stay, I was not only ripped off, I was robbed. I was kicking myself as I heard from other guests in the hotel (that were upset!) that you can actually stay at higher end hotels for the same price if you head towards Newport or Laguna Beach.

Valet was mediocre at best. The young man who helped me, greeted me with a "whats up man". We had no assistance with my luggage. Check in was okay, but there was a line at the front desk. To get to our room, it took about 20 minutes. The premises are actually nice, but not maintained, I saw trash everywhere. We checked into a room that was already occupied! 40 minutes and a fight with the front desk manager later, I was assigned another room. You’d think they would upgrade me to a suite or give me some sort of compensation for the inconvenience, but the room had no modern luxuries. The room actually seemed old and dingy. For the amount of $$$ I was spending on this room, we were hoping to get our room refreshed more than once a day. The room had an ocean view, but was not as nice as it sounds. The hotel is across the street from the beach and is on PCH, which was very busy (and noisy). It also seemed that there was a wedding ceremony taking place right outside our balcony every 2-3 hours. Example of how poorly managed this hotel is, we ordered room service one day for dinner, which after an hour never got delivered to our room (somehow still showed up on the bill when we were checking out). I had given up by then, I did not even complain. We decided to go eat at their restaurant (California Restaurant?) and waited for what seemed to be 15 – 20 minutes for the waiter to offer us something to drink. Nevermind how long dinner took to be served or how rude the manager was when I asked if I could get warm food. He reacted to my request as if he was annoyed, and was doing us a favor for allowing us to come dine at his fine establishment. This guy needs serious training.

If you are looking for rest and relaxation, or for exclusivity or above average customer service, this hotel is not for you. This hotel is geared for the traveler on a budget or for families with lots of kids. Although this hotel does feature some luxuries (upscale restaurant, spa, etc.) of a 4 or 5 star hotel, somehow it still feels like a 2 - 3 star hotel.

Throughout my stay, I was looking for something to happen to make me say "The money $$$ I spent on this place was worth it", but it NEVER happened. This hotel is in need of help. Sadly, this Hyatt has the capability of becoming a great resort but needs to train their managers who seem to be amateurs at best.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2005

We stayed at the Hyatt Huntington Beach on 4th of July 2005 weekend, checking Saturday, July 2, 2005 and checking out Tuesday, July 5, 2005. We had called the hotel directly to put in our requests: non-smoking, king, higher floor oceanview to see the fireworks. I am a Hyatt GoldPassport member and I used 1-800-CHECK-IN on Saturday morning to get my room assignment. BIG MISTAKE. When the agent assigned me a room, I probed him for more info about the room location, all he said was, "Trust me, it's a great room." When I got to the hotel in the afternoon, I asked where my room assignment was and was horrified...I got some horrid street view of the mobile home park and sewage treatment plant on the first floor. They said that they have a 95% to 100% occupancy rate this weekend, so locating me another room would be difficult. Luckily for me, they found one cancelled room on the third floor with a partial oceanview overlooking 3 lagoon shaped jacuzzi's, but no view of the fireworks. I think anything was better than the street/mobile home park/sewage plant at this point!

Most of the hotel did not have a fireworks view unless you are on the farthest northern side facing the pier or if you have an oceanfront room unobstructed by palm trees. Basically, if you can see the pier, you can see the fireworks. If you can’t see the pier, then you have to go out to the lawn area to see them or head over to the beach. It was a small disappointment because I was hoping to enjoy them from our private patio. But the partial oceanview was nice nonetheless. Definitely not complaining because I know how lucky I was to be able to switch rooms. We just went on the lawn on the 4th at 9 pm.

The room was the basic one. Bed was super comfy and furnishings were fine and modern. No minibar, but there was an empty mini fridge. I wasn't too thrilled about the empty fridge because we had to take a drive out to purchase some alcohol and sodas. I think it was a little cheaper for us to do it this way, but I wanted to relax this weekend, not go grocery shopping. The rooms are mostly soundproof with the occasional drunkards yelling outside in the hallway. We also had a wannabe adult film star next door who liked to make a little too much noise at around 2-3 am...all to the sound of techno music. A couple calls to the front desk/security and they eventually quieted down. The maid service never came the first day and a half, even though we requested turn down service. I eventually called down to see what was going on and they said, “someone refused service when housekeeping came to your room.” Um, no. We’ve been out at the beach and at the restaurants! They eventually got us maid service, but it was just a little annoying that they skipped our room. Valet parking was $20.00 per night charged directly to the room. Anyway, it was really easy to get the car for our off grounds excursions. The phone had a “valet” button and we would just call ahead as we were heading out the door and the car was ready by the time we got outside. We also ended up eating at every restaurant on the hotel property plus a couple off the grounds:

Saturday: We ate lunch at the Surf City Grocers in the hotel. They had fruit salad for $3 per half pound and panini sandwiches for $7. I think that was the best deal on the property. The fruit and sandwich were quite tasty. Then we purchased tickets for the luau at Pete Mallory’s Grill and it was too pricey at $70 per person. It does include tax and gratuity, but it does not include drinks. The food was “okay” and although everything had a Hawaiian theme, it was Hometown / Old Country Buffet tasting...a bit generic. They also called tables at 8 pm by table number and even though our number was in the middle of the set, we were called last. We did not get up to the buffet line until about 8:45 pm. Right after we filled our plates, they closed down the buffet except for the desserts and coffee because the dance show started at 9 pm, so no seconds for us. We also had bad views of the show. Overall, it was not an experience that I would like to repeat. I was expecting a lot more for my money.

Sunday: We ate at the Bottomless Bloody Mary Sunday Brunch at Pete Mallory’s. Even though were disappointed with the luau, the brunch was a million times better. The brunch cost $30 per person and includes all-you-can-drink bloody marys, mimosas, and screwdrivers. They had sushi rolls, paella, omelet station and super yummy desserts. We didn’t eat lunch after this because we were pretty stuffed for the rest of the day. Later that evening, we got a little hungry while we were shopping for beverages at Pavilions (grocery store about 4 miles away), so we just ate at their little café inside the grocery store. The Prime Rib sandwich for $7 was surprisingly good. We also picked up some sushi at the sushi stand inside the grocery store to take back to the hotel.

Monday: We ate a late breakfast/early lunch at the Californian at the Hyatt. This is supposed to be their premiere and signature restaurant. We didn’t think that it was all that great. First of all, there were empty tables EVERYWHERE, but we had to wait 15 minutes to get seated. Then secondly, our waitress had a frown on her face the entire time. My Arnold Palmer (half lemonade + half iced tea) never got refilled. I had to ask for more bread even though our basket was empty for some time. Overall, the service was just subpar and the food was a little too pricey. A chicken Caesar salad was $13 and my seared Ahi tuna was $18. They took 2 appetizer orders of the Ahi and made me a lunch out of it, but it was still tiny. We then walked to Duke’s by the pier for dinner. They definitely lived up to their hype. The parmesan and macadamia nut crusted Opakapaka (pink snapper) was $24 and the prime rib was $24. The prime rib was okay, but the fish was AMAZING. We’ll be going back more often. Drinks were pricey at $6+ each. Dessert was $7.

Tuesday: We walked down to Main street across from the Pier to go shopping and ate breakfast at the Sugar Shack Café. I think it’s mainly a locals place. Good cheap food. We got a 6 oz. steak and eggs entree for $7 and a breakfast burrito for $6. Large fresh squeezed OJ’s were $2.50 each. Very yummy and great prices, but it was REALLY busy and the wait was rather long. We got there just before the wait got crazy and the 1-mile walk from the Hyatt to the pier area was nice because we walked along the beach.

We also did the “Happy Couple” spa package at Pacific Waters Spa inside the Hyatt. It’s normally $345, but we got in on their special package price of $285 because we booked in advance. It consisted of a half-hour couple’s sea water whirlpool bath and a one-hour Swedish massage in the couple’s massage room. It was soooooo relaxing. We didn’t want to leave! But at those prices, we definitely couldn’t stay! With a spa treatment, you have the option of using their spa facilities like their steam room, private same-gender whirlpool, massage showers, etc. They also had fruit, nuts, and teas for you to enjoy as you wait for your treatment.

Overall, I had a nice stay at the Hyatt. They really need to work on their service and figuring out how to run their restaurants more efficiently though. Be aware that the pool was definitely too small to accommodate all the guests at full occupancy. Every square inch was packed with families and float toys. This hotel had lots and lots of kids. Also lots and lots of drunk twenty-something’s, but I suspect that it was just because it was the 4th of July. For an extremely discounted price, I would definitely stay here again; however, at the rack rate of $315 per night this holiday weekend, I think I would look for other alternatives like the 5-star resorts in Laguna Beach and Dana Point. My take on this property was that the Hyatt is a regular hotel trying to act like a resort, but just falling short.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Missouri
Reviewed July 5, 2005

What a Hotel! This has been one of the nicest hotels my family has stayed at.
We had a room with a view of the pool and partial ocean view. At night it was breathtaking, with the pool lit up. We had a deluxe king room, it had a king size bed, a sofa sleeper, a chair and desk. The bathroom was big and very clean. The staff was very professional and accomadating. We loved our stay at the Hyatt, we would definately stay there again.

3 Thank smokey1955
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!