“Lovely Stay...Beautiful Resort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Delaware
“Lovely Stay...Beautiful Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2009

The Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach was lovely. The grounds were spotless, the staff helpful, and our room, top notch. There was a conference of some type going on while we were there, and even with the additional people, the resort is so spacious that it didn't seem crowded at all.

While parking was expensive, the valet was always extremely courteous and timely.

We had a nice dinner at the restaurant on-site one evening, and after dinner had a great time as a family making smores over one of their courtyard fire pits.

The saltwater pool was one of my favorite parts of the resort. Restful, relaxing, with very attentive poolside waitstaff.

My husband treated me to a spa day while there, and my massage was wonderful. My massage therapist was fantastic, and the front desk attendant was great.

The walkway to the beach was also very convenient, and the main street of Huntington Beach is only a leisurely walk away. I will say there is a bit of a disconnect between the rather homey, surfer atmosphere of the rest of Huntington Beach and this resort. That's not really a bad thing, but it was kind of like vacationing in two different worlds simultaneously...both great, but just different from each other.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank sunnybrooktravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Valencia, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

I had no idea the expansiveness of this resort. I traveled by myself and 2 children, ages 6 and 10, and the pools, fire pits (favorite for smores), and beach access literally across the street via a foot-bridge, was awesome. It felt like Hawaii, but only a little over an hour away from our home. The new Sliders pool, with 3 slides was a ton of fun. Just walking the property was relaxing and enjoyable. There are nooks for sitting and relaxing everywhere. Beach, pier, and downtown area are close enough to walk. The staff were very polite, responsive and friendly. Only complaint is parking, $25 per night for valet (no other choice), ouch. But the valets were extremely nice and very quick! This is a great spot for families with any age children, it's welcoming, and I never felt out of place with children at this upscale resort. Wonderful experience, go.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Debovalencia
San Antonio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

My girlfriend and I live in San Antonio where we're experiencing a record drought...translate HOT ! So one of the most pleasant things about staying at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach July 2 - 6 was the cool temperature due to the proximity to the Pacific. We slept with the AC off and the balcony sliding glass door open every night and with the evening temperatures dropping into the low 60's it made for cozy comfort. The hotel itself was exceptional for us. The room was spotless and spacious and comfortable. Everything was within a short stroll, pool, store for morning Starbucks, bike rental store, restaurant. The beach was across the coastal highway from the hotel but they have a pedestrian walk over the road for easy access. We really enjoyed renting bikes and riding up and down the boardwalk 3 days of the 5 there. The Huntington Beach Pier was a short walk from the hotel and made for a wonderful morning walk on the beach to get there and then have breakfast at the end of the pier at the Ruby's restaurant overlooking the ocean, where we sighted dolphins. Room service was excellent and the hotel staff were the most friendly and helpful of any place I've every been. The only drawback might be the nightly $25 valet charge but it was convenient to call ahead and have the car there in front waiting for us. Overall our stay was very fun and relaxing and I'd very highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scubaSteve54
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2009

We arrived on the 3rd of July with our 2 teenagers booking 2 rooms. Although the resort was swamped, the staff was excellent in trying to contain the craziness. Bell staff was pushed to it's limit, yet still managed to get everyone and all of their stuff where it needed to be. The resort also placed special security at check points throughout the resort. That brings me to my one complaint. Many, many of the guest had no idea how to act at a resort. People showed up with beach bikes that they proceeded to ride through the lobby! Huge coolers filled with who knows what were carried into the hotel. Rooms were stuffed to overcapacity with families and friends that should have reserved two (or more) rooms. Beer cans, pizza boxes and screaming children seemed to be everywhere. Now, this is not the Hyatt's fault, but bikes should have been kept out of the rooms, room capacity should have been better monitored and shirts and some kind of foot covering should be required in the lobby areas. Enough about guest bad behavior.

Thankfully, as Hyatt Honors guest, our rooms were in a quiet area of the hotel. We were upgraded to Regency level and enjoyed afternoon cocktails and the kids liked being able to grab a snack or soft drinks throughout the day. We enjoyed the buffet breakfast both mornings, shopping in all of the shops at the hotel and only used the adult pool area. The main pool was a wild scene, so we opted to spend most of our day on the beach. We also used room service each day and were very pleased.

For 4th of July fireworks we walked across the pedestrian bridge and sat on the sea wall and watched a spectacular show. Huntington Beach does the 4th of July in a BIG WAY!!!!

I would return and recommend this beautiful hotel, especially over the Hilton (that we stayed at last time) that is next door. I would never return over the 4th of the July again, though. Just too busy.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Jet Nag
SoCal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2009

As local Southern Californians, we were looking for a nearby destination where we could have a mini-staycation and feel like we actually went on vacation. We arrived at the Hyatt Huntington Beach Resort & Spa looking for a little R & R and it did not disappoint. Talk about "Wow"!

Check in was quick and speedy and we were very pleased with our Deluxe King room. Since we had our son and daughter, ages 7 and 8, we were initially concerned about the sleeping arrangements, but the room had a pull-out sofa that set up quickly. Our balcony overlooked the main pool and there was a view of the Pacific beyond. The décor was light and neutral with granite counters in the bathrooms and the service bar area.

The resort property itself was impressive. Situated on the Pacific Coast Highway directly across from the beach, the grounds have numerous fountains and lush landscaping to highlight the gorgeous location. There is a small retail center on site, with shops offering the usual sundries – a surf store where you can rent bikes, coffee shop and a souvenir shop. There is also a selection of eating establishments, ranging from casual to more formal.

The main pool was closed off during our stay because they were filming a TV show. It didn’t really impact us because the kids were more interested in the new activity pool, Slyders. There, they had a choice of three different water slides to choose from, a Jacuzzi and a regular pool. We spent the majority of the day there, ordering drinks from the pool-side bar, Shubee’s. My son also had the chance to check out some cool kites and make his own. The staff then took the kids (with the parents, of course) out to the beach to try their hand at flying their creations.

We had dinner at The Californian, the on-site restaurant. On the pricey side, but our dinner was cooked to perfection. Later, we made s’mores by one of the firepits in the retail courtyard along with a few other families. They sell s’mores kits on-site for $9 or (like we did) you can bring your own.

My husband took advantage of the gym during our stay and while he said it was on the small side, he enjoyed the steam and sauna rooms. We had an in-room coupon for a discount on spa services, but didn't have time to use it.

Overall, the staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. The property, along with the room, was well-maintained. Parking and on-site amenities were pricey, but we left feeling like we had truly had a vacation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank MizzusK
Chino, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

Here's my story:

I got to the valet station and inquired about the valet prices, suspecting that the prices at a resort near the beach might be higher than what I really wanted to pay. Of course, I wasn't a guest at the hotel; I was there for a wedding rehearsal.

The valet attendant looked up the wedding party on some sort of checklist he had and quoted me the price of $0.00 for the valet since the wedding party was hosting. Great - saves me 12 bucks.

After the rehearsal, I take my valet stub to the cashier to pay my $0.00 (and get change for tip) when the jaded employee tells me I owe her 12 dollars. I tell her that there's been a mistake. I'm part of a wedding party and the valet attendant looked it up and told me it was free. After going back and forth, she insisted that she could do nothing about it, so she volunteered her manager. Fine. No problem - we'll get it all worked out.

Manager comes and I tell him the simple story. I say the following lines:

"I understand that your valet is 12 dollars but I was quoted it as being free since I was part of a wedding rehearsal."

"I understand that your valet attendant made a mistake and read the list wrong, but I don't see why I should be responsible to pay 12 dollars when I made no mistake."

"He told me free - if I had known that this was 12 dollars, I would have arranged for a carpool - I'm not exactly in the social status where paying 12 bucks for valet is a normal thing."

He responded, every dang single time: "I'm sorry sir but unfortunately I can't do anything about the situation. I understand that it's unfair but if you would have parked in the lot across the street, they would have also charged you 12 dollars."

Hyatt: This is not about 12 dollars. This is simply about your company being ethical and owning up to your mistakes.

A higher manager said this to me: "So you want me to comp you your 12 dollars and possibly get that valet guy fired?"

My response: "I don't wish for anyone to be fired, but I do want you to understand that he made a mistake, not me. As a matter of fact, I didn't do ANYTHING wrong whatsoever so I don't understand why I'm the one getting screwed. And by the way, the valet attendant who screwed up should be reprimanded in some way, shape or form - isn't that the way it works."

In the end, I paid the 12 dollars because I felt TRULY bad for the wedding couple who was standing 5 feet away from me, listening to every argument I was having with the manager. I know that they probably were a combination of upset and uncomfortable and I would rather pay 12 unjustified dollars than have to put them through that.

The property was beautiful. The wedding was beautiful (the next day). The food was not bad. Too bad this one small experience really screwed it up big-time for me.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank rjung10
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

My husband and i stayed at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach for 3 nights from 13th June 2009 as part of out 25th Wedding Anniversary trip. I really wish we could have stayed longer.

All of the staff we encountered were extremely helpful, happy and couldn't do enough for you. Right through from the front desk staff, to the bell desk and restuarant staff.

We had a problem with our room we had requested an ocean view room but were given a pool view room, and although they couldn't move us the day we arrived they offered us another room the very next day. Although having said that the 2nd room we were given was a real trek from the Lobby and in hindsight I wish we had stayed in the first room.

The rooms are a very good size, very clean and well appointed. The only issue I had was that the first room we were in had a funny smell but I think it may have been the pot pourri that was on the side. The Portico toiletries that are provided are lovely.

On the downside is the $16 a day resort fee which I was told included, daily housekeeping, 2 bottles of water, a newspaper and use of the spa facilities. The bottles of water were quite large but were not worth $16. We didn't want a newspaper and we didn't use the spa facillities. As for the housekeeping being included in the charge I found this a bit much as every hotel I have stayed in previoulsy has included housekeeping with the price of the room. All in all we felt the resort fee was a rip off, it didn't even include Wi-Fi access you had to pay another $9 or so for that!

We did use the Valet Parking at $25 a night as it was just easier because you can't get into the beach car park after 9pm at night. We didn't tip the Valet as we already felt ripped off with the parking charges and this would have made it more expensive.

The walk across the bridge to the beach was no problem and in fact very pleasant. The beach is very clean and very big. They have fire pits on the beach which you can rent and if we had more time I would have done this. Although there is a 10pm curfew on the beach. They also had fire pits surrounded by comfortable chairs and sofas at various locations in the grounds, it was lovely sitting there at night chatting in front of the fire pit, we bought a Smores kit and toasted them over the coals - it was very relaxing. They also have another open room which has easy chairs and sofas and a gas/coal fire burning 24 hours a day and it's a lovely place to go and sit and relax.

The pool area was very clean and there were plenty of loungers, the waitress service from the bar/restuarant was also excellent. The grounds of the hotel are beautful and well maintained.

The hotel is in easy driving distance of sightseeing attractions and we visited the Queen Mary at Longbeach. I would thoroughly recommend going to see the Queen Mary she is such and elegant ship. Make sure you do the World War 2 tour we had a brilliant t tour guide called Greg, he was so passionate about the ship and had a wealth of information about her. They do a Sunday Brunch which I think included champagne, it looked lovely and we wished we could have participated but didn't have enough time to do so, my advice is go early so that you have time to have brunch.

We felt that this is a family hotel and a place that young people would enjoy, if you want more of an adult atmosphere that could be a problem.

All in all we loved our time at Huntington Beach and would love to go back in the future. Although I loved staying at the Hyatt Regency I think I would try to find a better value hotel, without the resort charges or at least one that offered better value for the resort charges and also cheaper parking facilitles. I would recommend this hotel to a friend but would make sure they knew about the charges and exaclty what they are getting for them.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
#1 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!