“Nice location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary
“Nice location”
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Nice hotel if you can get a deal. Otherwise overpriced. Try to get breakfast included. Good location for skateboarding along the beach and for going surfing/boogieboarding. Grounds are beautiful. Some road noise for rooms on ocean side, since the highway is in between. Not really an ocean view, so I would opt for a garden view next time. Parking charges were too high, and internet fees were too high.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CalgaryMarcoPolo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
kansas city
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I'm a travel agence owner in Kansas City. I find myself being a little critical when staying at properties that are new to me. This hotel is one of the finest Hyatt properties I've stay at in a long time. From checkin and checkout the staff continued to amaze me. The grounds are magnificent (Did I say I was also in the travel business" The fitness center and spa is "AAA" plus. The room wsas a ocean-front view and worth every cent $$$.I would recommend this resort to any of my friends who are always asking "where have you been and where did you stay"....Book this one for any special occassion and you will surely be impressed and will end up being a real hero.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blazer8b
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 21, 2009

My husband and I spent six nights at this hotel. He was at a business meeting elsewhere much of the time. The hotel is located across the Pacific Coast Highway from the beach, which is easily reached by a pedestrian walkway that goes over the highway. Because the PCH is depressed here, you do not see it from the hotel. Our room looked across the courtyard/pool area to the beach, a lovely view. The room was quite spacious and had a couch, easy chair and good sized desk as well as a balcony. There was a power strip with lots of outlets, very handy.
The hotel grounds and pool area were beautifully landscaped, and there are numerous fountains and firepits scattered around. The hotel has several restaurants and there are some gifty type shops and a convenience store, which is nice. We ate one dinner at the casual restaurant, which was good.The poolside bar was attractive and served lunch but closed fairly early, it would have been nice to have drinks there in the evening. Poolside drink service was excellent, and this is a really nice pool area overall.
We had a package that was a good value, came to around $220 per night including breakfast every day. The breakfasts, which were served in the main hotel dining room, were excellent, especially the bagels and salmon and the french toast. Very nice service staff, also.
My only quibble with this hotel is that it is very spread out, and our room was really a hike from the lobby. It was also really far to the ice machine. On the other hand, I think the location of our room, with full oceanview but set back from the PCH (closer would have been noisy I think) was terrific for its position above the courtyard.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cambridgtravler
Huntington Beach CA
Reviewed May 17, 2009

Excellent service, outstanding grounds and the suite was fabulous! We truly enjoyed our weekend with the grandkids. They loved their time at the family friendly pools. We loved the food and the regency club. the Hyatt Regency speaks well for our city of Huntington Beach, the original Surf City! We will definitely stay there again. Can;t beat the location.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank HBTeacher9
Glendale, Ca
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I had the best time last weekend at the Hyatt! Our room was beautiful and the view was spectacular! The service was prompt and friendly! Food from room service was fast and delicious! The resort is wonderful, with many jacuzzis tucked in around the pools!
I had a wonderful lavender massage and a relaxing pedicure at the Pacific Waters Spa... The staff at the spa were always friendly and helpful!
The only thing that I didn't like was my bed. A beautiful-looking King-size one with fluffy pillows and comforter! But unfortunately, the mattress was extremely uncomfortable, so I didn't get a very good night's sleep....
I love staying at the Huntington Hyatt and using the spa. It is always very relaxing.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank sugarhigh77
toronto
Reviewed May 13, 2009

We stayed here last summer with our 2 boys, ages 6 and 9. Upon arrival we were greeted nicely by the doorman and check in was smooth. Most of the people working in the hotel were young college students. The hotel was very busy and that became problematic with the valet - both arriving and departing. Apparently the parking is contracted out to a company and is not run by the hotel. I had to wait over 15 minutes to get my car more than once. I brought this to the attention of the management and they credited my parking charges.

The pool area was just ok. The lounges were exceptionally uncomfortable as they were hard plastic and had no foam padding. I saw signs that the pool area is being renovated for the following year, so that may already be addressed.

The beach is a short walk over the causeway and is also very busy.

There were activities most days for the kids by the pool such as cookie decorating or tattoos.
The buffet breakfast was plentiful and my kids especially enjoyed the candy(yes, for breakfast). We did not have any other meals at the hotel.
S'mores were fun by the firepit as were the movies by the pool at night.

The rooms were fine and comfortable for the four of us, but nothing overly special. Not a place I would go without the kids. The hotel is close to a couple of very nice shopping malls in Newport Beach. Disney is 20 minutes away. Not a bad place to stay, but not as luxurious as I had expected.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank boyzrus
Niceville, Florida
Reviewed May 8, 2009

Husband had work in Long Beach and my daughter and I came along. We stayed from April 17-May 7th. The Hyatt is the best place to stay as a whole. But after being there 10 days let me break it down for you.
The Grounds: Beautiful and employees are constantley working throughout the day gardening and doing routine maintaince. We spent everyday at the Hot Tub (Grotto Area) and New Pool area. This was truely what made staying at this hotel the best option. The weather was a bit cool therefore making the regular swimming pools a bit to cold most days however, the different hottubs that are large gave us somewhere to hang out. Although my 3yr old was a bit apprehensive about the new slides that are open from 10am-5pm they were a hit with all the children. One word on the employees working the kids area. The lifeguards are great and would remember our names each day and bring us floaties and toys etc.
The Rooms: We had a double standard room. Good location in the main building which is nice because you have to Valet your car and Yes its 25.00bucks. Really pricey and sorry but we didn't tip because of this out of principal. If you were in another building you could be walking a bit to get to the lobby and with kids not always ideal. I actually thought the room was tasteful but not over the top. The beds aren't great and one was broken down considerably. Maid Service was hit or miss. Beds weren't always made up, or the tissues were out for 2 days and finally I took the cover off them place both on the sink and when we return they put the empty box back on the little table in the bathroom! What?? Seriously?? The porch was dirty and never cleaned. I had to wipe down the table everyday. Not a deal breaker but inconsistant. Oh and if you put the Private sign on your door during nap time call the front desk to stop calls cause the maid service calls anyway!! We had to complain and they were very sorry but no sooner do we tell them this another maid called!!! we just had to laugh cause what are you going to do. "bottom line don't interupt naptime!!"
I think its important to say something about the concierge. They really arn't what you expect at a resort of this nature. We had simple questions about things like Disneyland, Medieval times, Local Wineries etc and no question could be answered. They looked in a filing cabinet and would pull out a brochure or a made up piece of paper and thats it! They either don't really know about the area they work in or don't wanna be bothered. How could you not know the hours of Disneyland??
Front desk where all very nice and a guy in the gift shop/ sandwich place was so friendly. He offered restaurant and activity advice without me even asking. Unfortunalty the pizza place wasn't open and the other causual place didn't open til 2pm. We didn't dine at the upscale Resturant on site.
As for prices, this hotel gives you nothing for free and everything is overpriced as you would expect. Turkey Sub 7.95, Pina Colada 9.00, don't ask for the lava flow 15.00, internet everyday 9.95, Parking 25.00 a day, Resort fee 16.00 (2 bottles of water inc) No complimentary internet in a business room. The smore kit they advertise was 9.00 for 2 sticks, hersey bar and 9 marshmellow, and a couple graham crackers. Luckily they gave us a voucher for this.
The good news is if you plan ahead this hotel can be family friendly and economical. They do have a mini fridge so we bought some hummus and fruits etc at the street fair on Tuesday nights to snack on for lunch during the days. I bought cereals and milk for breakfast. We traveled with a cooler and bought water,cokes, beer and just kept them cooled and put them in our backpack to take to the pool. Everyone was doing this so it must be ok?
The beach was a easy walk acrossed the bridge. The water was a bit to rough for us but then again its not called Surf city for nothing and was great to watch the surfers.

Overall, great stay and would return. P.S. the best part was The Detroit Red Wings were there a couple of days!! Gosh I wanted to get a picture but I decided to not to bust there cover:)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
#5 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
#1 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!