Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersSilver level
La Habra, California, United States
“Ok resort”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

You car must be valet parked here and its also really expensive. Rooms are ok, but for the price, they could be better. Called one night to get extra pillows and towels. 30 minutes later we're handed a sheet and blanket and 2 pillows. The little grocery store that has coffee and pastries is a rip off. $5.99 for a greasy, cold breakfast sandwich and $6 for a bad strawberry smoothie. You're better off driving to Starbucks up the street and getting coffee. The crowd staying here is somewhat arrogant. The exercise room was really nice! I didn't go swimming because it wasn't warm outside. The iron provided in the room was broken and after 45 minutes a new one was delivered. The guy who delivered it said they break all the time. If the break alot, why not invest in better irons? Room service is overpriced and has an ok selection. If you go off property, you can find places alot better and cheaper. I've been to better hotels and don't think is worth the price.

2 Thank Paige F
ehodges, Manager at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Paige F,

We appreciate your feedback from your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort and Spa in May. It was unfortunate that you felt the value of certain services and amenities were poor and not in keeping with a quality experience. Your feedback regarding the iron in the guestroom was much appreciated and please know that your comments help us to improve the level of service and offering the resort provides. We realize you have a choice to make when traveling and hope that you will give us another opportunity at some point in the future.

Eron Hodges

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I suppose if I tried to nitpick I ~might~ be able to find something slightly wrong..... nope, there was nothing wrong with our stay! Everyone was lovely and friendly and so eager to please and make sure our stay was excellent. It was! I was so impressed with the friendly staff, from the valet, bellhop, check in, room service and pool side service. I am always the first one to complain about anything but I had nothing to complain about.

We had a two queen bed room which was very spacious including a small entryway with a table. It was a perfect space to drop off your purse and take off your shoes.

I spent every day at the kids pool and the waiters at Shubees were very anxious to please. They even tracked down an umbrella when I asked them too and set it up. It was so easy to set up a tab and not have to worry about paying for each item.

Room service was even more attentive. They always repeated my request back to me to ensure I received what I ordered. I had two children with me and the first night I was trying to find something from the kids menu that my kids would eat. With help from the room service server he was able to find something for each of my kids that wasn't even on the menu!

This brings me to the menu prices. I have been to a Hilton at the Seattle airport that charges easily twice as what the Hyatt charges. Every day out at the pool they had $7 drink specials. Room service prices were incredibly reasonable. I think we ordered room service at least once a day whether it be breakfast or dinner. The first night we were so tired so we ordered a sandwich with fries, chicken strips and fries (for my 7 year old daughter) and plain pasta with parmesan cheese on the side (for my 9 year old son), My parents split the same sandwich that I ordered. It was so yummy and there was toooooo much food! Even though my daughter has a voracious appetite she left three chicken stripes, That combined with the side salad that came with his mean actually made a 5th meal! Nearly every breakfast we ordered room service and again, they delivered it with a smile and everyone was all perfection!

If I had to nitpick I would have to say that the bathroom sink didn't drain properly. That is the ONLY thing I could think of it. I had my husband fix it that night away and we were able to use it normally. I could go on and on and on about how wonderful everything was!

Room Tip: I'm not sure if we were upgraded but our room had a view of the ocean from sitting outside for a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
ehodges, Manager at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our resort. We are thrilled to hear you had such an amazing stay and we will be sure to share your positive feedback with our staff.
At Hyatt we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach for your trip to Surf City USA. We sincerely hope that you are able to visit us again soon.

Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I am truly disappointed in this hotel. The only thing that makes it nice is that it is across the street from the beach. You MUST valet park your car @ $34 a night. Our room was okay but nothing too spectacular. The Guest Services book with the hotel information and room service menu looked like someone had thrown up on it and it took well over an hour to get a clean one. To get our room cleaned, we had been out of the room all day and at 2:30 p.m returned to the room to see housekeeping leaving. To our shock when we entered our room it had not been cleaned. We asked the housekeeper why and was told it was not on the list to clean. Really! So a good rant phone call to the front desk got us our room cleaned finally. Then I was going to iron a shirt for dinner and low and behold the iron doesn't work! So another call to the front desk for one that works (that finally arrived when I was walking out the door to dinner). The water pressure in the bathroom sink was so low I could hardly rinse the toothpaste out of my toothbrush. The nice lighted make-up mirror on the wall, well that didn't work either.

The grounds were nice and food and drinks are what to be expected of a resort - a bit expensive.

They did have beach cruisers to rent @ $12 an hour which was reasonable compared to on the beach rental.

The best part was the $3.00 per person shuttle ride to Main Street from the hotel. Called them and the came and picked us up at no additional charge.

No I would not stay here again but it was an enjoyable anniversary and Mother's Day get away.

Room Tip: Chose a west facing room for sunset
Green Features: Didn't know they had any practices in place at the hotel
Dear Nancy F,

Thank you for your feedback! It was disappointing to learn you will not venture back to the resort and that you felt the value was not in keeping with the services provided. On behalf of our 750 associates, we apologize that your experience was nothing short of exceptional. We do hope that at some point you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to restore your faith in Hyatt. Thank you again for your comments.

Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Arrived very late at night and was glad to see full service valet, bellman and front desk. The room was very clean and well appointed. The conference center was great and easy to work with.
The doormen, valet, and well just everyone just wonderful.
The view to the Ocean, WOW. Take the footbridge to the beach, rent a bike, what else could you ask for?
Two observations.
The overnight valet charge was sky high. Now I always valet my car, no issue there but the price is just way, way to high.
The TV channels are very limited. You may ask why TV close to the beach? Being a east Coast guy and waking in the middle of the night, there were no movie channels.
But this aside will return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ehodges, Manager at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2014

New Albany, Ohio, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed here for spring break in March/April 2014. We were beyond pleased with the Hyatt Regency. I had heard good things about it - and it still surpassed our expectations. Top to bottom - everything was superb. Staff was great. We did the Regency Club which was on our floor - right around the corner - provided meals and snacks, drinks, throughout the day. What a nice perk to have access to! Our room was 2 queen beds and was definitely spacious. The pool was wonderful. Clean, and a shield to keep the ocean breeze down to a comfortable feel. We walked the resort property and it truly is like a little village in and of itself. The beach is beautiful with easy access to it from resort - and the beachy fun shops and restaurants are nearby. We brought one of our dogs with us on this trip and she was loved by staff and vacationers with open arms. We would DEFINITELY recommend this resort!!!

Only recommendation was my husband & daughter heard the bell dinging throughout the night because we were close to an elevator. I heard it - it was soft - didn't bother me at all. But - just to give you a head's up - if it would bother you...ask for a room with a good distance from an elevator.

Room Tip: If a soft elevator ding would bother you - get a room with distance from the elevator.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank SusieQ2223

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2014

The only reason I didn't put a five for value is because I think the parking is far to expensive, and I don't like the additional resort fee you need to pay for each day.
W
My husband was there for a conference so me and the kids (7,4,2) tagged along.
The check in was fast and there were no issues. The crib was brought right up to the room with no wait. Everybody at the resort was very very friendly and helpful - from concierge, to the pool staff to the staff in the restaurants - they were all top notch. Seeing as how I had my kids with me, we spent lots of time at the pool with the three slides- which by the way, were really fun. The staff here were totally jumping at the chance to help- bringing out extra chairs, towels, food etc. Once I was overcharged for two beer I didn't get in my bucket and the guy ran immediately and got them, plus an extra one just because.
The slides were a plus for the kids- and the adults can go down them too. It gets a bit busy on the weekend though, and the lifeguard who is standing telling people when to go was a bit slow- as in, if she was really watching what was going on, people could have been moved a lot quicker.
R
We ate breakfast at water table- huevos rancheros were sooooo fantastic. Their eggs Benny was very good as well. The kids ate the buffet for free which was great. We ate dinner at Petes sunset grill twice and that was very good- fun atmosphere too.
Pizza from tower 15 was pretty good. Really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed May 2014

California
Reviewed May 5, 2014

First, you should decide whether Huntington is the right beach for you. Compared to other Orange County beaches, it has a youthful and unpretentious vibe, mostly low- to mid-priced eateries, nonstop events (live music, craft sales, surf competitions), and a paved strand for strolling/skating/biking. The beach itself is straight and wide with typical SoCal beigy sand. If you’re looking for scenic coves and tidepools, elegant restaurants, or a hoytey-toytey atmosphere, Huntington is not for you.

But if you like a casual vacation with classy digs, you'll like the Hyatt. It has spotless, tastefully-furnished rooms, comfty beds, attractive grounds with adult & children’s pools, and a convenient bridge to the beach spanning Coast Hwy. It’s less than a mile (15-minute walk) to the pier, so you’re removed from the noise and traffic of Main Street. When you want to eat or make purchases outside the resort grounds, you could drive the 4-5 long blocks to downtown and try to find parking. But you’re on vacation, so may as well take a stroll down the strand, rent a bike, or hire a pedicab. My only complaint would be that the front desk could use more staffing and for parking you have little choice but to go valet at $35/day (those are Hawaii prices). Aside from that, everything was perfect. A bit off-topic--don’t miss the waffle sandwiches at Bruxie on 5th St!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

#5 of 17 in Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#3 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!