“Wonderful Weekend Getaway!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, CA
“Wonderful Weekend Getaway!”
Reviewed September 15, 2008

I surprised my husband with a weekend getaway at Hyatt Regency for our 20th anniversary. I was afraid that the hotel would be disappointing for such big occasion, but I was pleasantly surprised. The landscape was gorgeous, our room extra spacious, the bathroom huge (even the bathrooms at Las Vegas’ Venetian Hotel concierge suites aren’t that roomy), and the exterior beautiful. The room was clean, and it had a large walk-in closet, which we didn’t need because we were there for just one night. It’s the only hotel I know that actually gives you hair conditioner separate from shampoo. We didn’t have time to use the pool, but it was big and clean, and the water felt warm (they probably heat it).

Hotel: The hotel has a great location, right near the beach (if you use the beautiful bridge leading there). The beach was very vibrant and alive with hundreds of young people, and what was very unique about it was the fire pits everywhere. It was a beautiful sight, especially at the spectacular sunset. We roasted marshmallow on the fire pit at the hotel (next to Pete’s Grill) and listened to the band playing classic rock. It was fun. Many of the guests had little children-I believe it’s great for families. Perhaps next time we’ll come back with our kids. They have several stores and a deli-great for Starbucks coffee and snacks.

Food: We ate dinner and breakfast at The Californian. The food was great, however, dinner menu was very limited and the place was pricey. They made a mistake on the cheese we selected for appetizer (at 6 dollars an ounce you want to get what you ordered), told us the chicken was going to take 35 (!!) minutes to make, and ran out of spring rolls. To top it all, the waitress made a mistake and charged us for the spring rolls they didn’t have. I expect better from a gourmet restaurant, but we ignored it because we didn’t want to spoil the occasion. Breakfast was better. They had a rich buffet, and great, fresh food, and service was faster and more efficient. Again, it was expensive, but we enjoyed ourselves.

Spa: We had a couple-massage at the spa. The staff was friendly, the facilities were nice and clean and the massage was great. My husband thought he wasn’t going to enjoy it, but he actually liked it. Their rates are pretty high, though, and the only reason I booked it was because I took the spa package, which also included resort fee (yes, there are all kinds of extras you have to be aware of), complementary daily valet parking and hotel taxes.

Beware of getting locked out on the balcony. We sat there to watch the view and could not open the door to go back in. Luckily, the guests next door were also out on the balcony and they called front desk for us.

I suspect one of the reasons we had a great time is that the hotel wasn’t full. That’s because we were there in mid September. I ask myself what would happen if we arrived during summer-how long we will have to wait for the valet to bring our car, how big the lines at the buffet and registration will be, how high the noise level and how crowded the pool will be.

Overall, the resort was beautiful, the service fast and friendly, and the food was delicious. We absolutely recommend, and we’ll go back.

• Liked — Beautiful resort, food, romantic atmosphere, beach, location, amazing rooms, spa
  • Disliked — Expensive restaurants, extra fees (resort fees, valet fees)
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MarcoPolo555

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Take all of the five star reviews and put them together and you have our experience of the Hyatt at Huntington Beach.

We are a family of four (children aged 9 and 11) and we stayed for five nights of our 17 night holiday in California. The hotel is in an ideal location for a fun, safe and vibrant beach and for Disneyland, which is about 30 mins away and a fairly easy drive.

The grounds, the service, the food, the staff, the facilities and the rooms. All were perfect and all we had hoped for.

Yes, the pool was busy and we would have preferred it to be quieter, but the fact is that it was August and children are entitled to have fun too. Ours certainly did. I agree however, that the new pool complex will be a useful addition and that the current pool should be saved for adults only as my wife needs her 'away from the kids' time.

We ate in Pete's Sunset Grille on two occasions and both were fine with excellent and efficient service. They offer typical diner type food in a fun location. They had lots of live music whilst we were there, which was good, but a little loud after a while. We all felt like we needed to get to a more peaceful restaurant for the other nights.

The Californian is the hotel's fine dining restaurant.and can claim a four diamond rating. On the evening we visited (our last night treat) it was very quiet. Whether this was the reason for the excellent service I don't know. All I can say is thank you to Matt (our waiter) for the friendly yet formal service of the highest order. The food was excellent too and we particularly appreciated the fact that we were able to choose from the restaurant menu and the grill menu for the children. This is so sensible and must be good for business. It meant that my wife and I could experience exquisite food at the pricier end whilst the children could enjoy the food that they enjoy. I love my 9 year old dealry, but she enjoys a burger far more than a 44 dollar fillet mignon! At those prices, I'm glad she does.

The rooms were fantastic and the partial view over the pacific was ideal. The Pacific Coast Highway is quite close, but it never bothered us whatsoever and is well screened.

As people have alluded to, there are shops and a great pizzeria on site. The facilities are numerous and of a high standard. The ambience and atmosphere really set the scene for a stay in Surf City and we felt extremely safe and secure whether at the beach, downtown HB or on site.

The service was the biggest star after the beautiful planted grounds. All of the staff were polite, friendly and helpful. They have clearly been well trained and nothing was ever tyoo much trouble. Quite the opposite of our experience at the Hyatt in Monterey - see our review of that one.

The only negative is that many things seem to come with an additional cost. The hotel boasts on its website about the Kids club and the surfing lessons, kite making etc. They don't advertise just how expensive these things are and i was quite shocked to hear fees of 100 buck plus being mentioned. Paying 9.95 for internet access seems excessive in this day and age and I find it hard to see how this is justified. Likewise, the valet parking which is 25 dollars per night. We stayed in hotels that provided free coffee (Palace Sheraton San Francisco), Children's trips or internet access (Doubletree, Santa Barbara) and free parking. We spent tons of cash at the Hyatt, but I can't say it wasn't worth it. It most defintiely was and we would thoroughly recommend it as a real resort with bags of character and beauty.

• Liked — The fantastic service and feeling of luxury
  • Disliked — The additional costs
  • Stayed August 2008
2 Thank 41gentlemanjim
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Huge pretentious hotel run by very unexperienced workers.
I stayed there on a business trip coming from Europe. Due to Jet lag I used to wake up at 5:30. Breakfast was supposed to be ready at 6, buthad to wait 2 out 4 days. Unexperienced teenagers were doing their best to offer a good service without achiveing it. No buffet breakfast at 6AM so had to eat fat.
Cumpulsory Vallet parking is very anoying and time consuming.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank Frones
London, England
Reviewed August 19, 2008

This is a really luxurious hotel in a beautiful setting. All the staff we encountered, from the bell-hops to the pool staff were attentive, welcoming and extremely friendly and helpful. The room was very spacious and clean with a modern bathroom with luxury toiletries. Great balcony with a view of the pool and the ocean. The grounds of the hotel are really elegant, with water feaures and manicured gardens and there are useful facilities in the hotel complex, such as a small grocer's shop and several shops where you can buy gifts and novelties or rent bicycles/surf boards etc.

The breakfast buffet is good - the usual cereals, bagels etc plus some other more unusual items. There's a chef on hand to make you eggs or an omelette. You can also order of the a la carte breakfast menu if you prefer. We had snacks from the poolside bar at lunchtime - simple choices, but good quality. Loved the frozen smoothies! There are three places to eat in the evening. We ate at Pete's surfside grill, which was fine, but nothing special.

The pool didn't seem to be particularly busy when we were there and we never had an issue with finding sun loungers, but the hotel are building a huge new family pool with water slides which is due to open in Spring 2009, so I guess this is an issue which they are addressing.

The walkway over to the beach is an excellent feature - they have really made it simple to get there - as otherwise you would have to negotiate crossing the busy Pacific Coast Highway.

My only niggle is the potential hassle of the valet parking, although actually they were very efficient and it didn't cause us any problems.

• Liked — Overall luxurious experience
  • Disliked — Valet parking
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank LauraUK
Harrison, New York
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Hotel was beautiful, room were nice, neat and clean. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Great location.

Problem, when i made the reservation, the woman who helped me told me what the price would be if I used my mother's AARP card. It came out to be $40 less a night. So I said great lets do this and booked. Was told that I have to bring the AARP card to the front desk when I was checking out.

the second night we were there, mom realized she forgot her card. So I asked the front desk if they will accept a faxed copy or do they need the actual card. I was told that there is no AARP discount on the reservation and they cannot change it now. It would have had to be done at reservation. There was nothing he could do about it.

I called the 800 number. Was told that they couldn't do anything for me and that I should talk to the front desk. I hung up and called again to hopefully get someone else who was more helpful. They forwarded me to a manager. The manager explained to me that they do not accept AARP. they have a senior citizen discount and that is for people 62 and older. My mom is 61. So now I'm stuck paying an extra $40 a night and no one will compensate me.

At checkout, Karen (at the front desk) listened to my situation and gladly gave me discount. I love her for that!!

They did fix their accounting error but it still caused a headache. It goes to show how careful you have to be making reservations.

• Liked — Location - right across from the beach.
  • Disliked — Reservations Desk needs to clearly explain discounts
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ttrinchi82
Stirling, Scotland
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Stayed at the Hyatt for 5 nights in July 2008 as part of a family holiday in California. The hotel is well presented inside and out with attractive pool and water fountain areas. I would stay here again but for $300 per night it is important to make use of the pool, gym and spa facilities - all of which are excellent.

We made the mistake in arriving on 4th July weekend and it was like a zoo. Initailly allocated a "partial ocean view" queen room at the Beach Rd end of the hotel. The room was very good but the view from the balcony was horrendous - it looked out onto a construction area (I think they are building new tennis courts) and beyond that there is a large industrial plant one block down (I think this is possibly a cement factory).

Complained to the reception and eventually got moved to an ocean king room - much better and no additional charge. Recptionist gave us access to the business lounge for the rest of our stay - this offered complimentary breakfast and open access to other drinks and treats during the day.

Valet parking is a pain and costly (in my view) at $25 per day plus taxes. But there was no alternative - unless you were willing to part in the beachfront public car parks at $10 per visit.

Pool is good but a bit small for the size of the hotel - they've got over 500 rooms but pool area officially holds around 200 people. Most days the pool was crowded and this was with considerably less than 200 people.

Onsite dining can be pricey - notably Pete Malloy's surf diner. Albeit they do excellent fruit lemonade cocktails. The pizza joint opposite was good value and was run by friendly young guys who provided great service.

• Liked — spa facilities
  • Disliked — valet parking
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank reedfamilyboa
Chicago
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Our family checked in late to the hotel on a weekday evening. The staff was great. They helped us unload the car, showed us to our room, and even gave us a brief tour of the features of our room. The room was comfortable and clean. Ours overlooked the pool. We thought this Hyatt was pretty unique because most other Hyatts any of us have stayed in were highrises. The Hyatt HB has several four-story buildings. It's really great for people who don't like to be up on high floors.

The pool at the hotel was great! It was big and we all enjoyed it. Most convenient was the breakfast shop on property. It facilitated quick breakfasts on the run, even early in the morning, like the day we went to Disneyland. The stuff it serves is on par with your local Starbucks. The best amenity at this hotel has got to be the beach! A wonderful stretch of Huntington Beach is right across a bridge. We spent a couple of afternoons there. Sunsets were also great.

As for other dining options at the hotel, there were several. We only tried one, The Californian. There were a few issues with our meal, but we had a very attentive waitress who resolved them. The lava cakes or molten cakes or whatever they're called were great for dessert! We'd reccommend them!

This hotel, overall, is great! The price wasn't too bad either. We got a AAA discount. All you have to do is ask.

• Liked — Room, view, pool, beach, restaurants, service
  • Disliked — Parking fees were outrageous
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
#2 of 17 in Newport Beach
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!