I surprised my husband with a weekend getaway at Hyatt Regency for our 20th anniversary. I was afraid that the hotel would be disappointing for such big occasion, but I was pleasantly surprised. The landscape was gorgeous, our room extra spacious, the bathroom huge (even the bathrooms at Las Vegas’ Venetian Hotel concierge suites aren’t that roomy), and the exterior beautiful. The room was clean, and it had a large walk-in closet, which we didn’t need because we were there for just one night. It’s the only hotel I know that actually gives you hair conditioner separate from shampoo. We didn’t have time to use the pool, but it was big and clean, and the water felt warm (they probably heat it).
Hotel: The hotel has a great location, right near the beach (if you use the beautiful bridge leading there). The beach was very vibrant and alive with hundreds of young people, and what was very unique about it was the fire pits everywhere. It was a beautiful sight, especially at the spectacular sunset. We roasted marshmallow on the fire pit at the hotel (next to Pete’s Grill) and listened to the band playing classic rock. It was fun. Many of the guests had little children-I believe it’s great for families. Perhaps next time we’ll come back with our kids. They have several stores and a deli-great for Starbucks coffee and snacks.
Food: We ate dinner and breakfast at The Californian. The food was great, however, dinner menu was very limited and the place was pricey. They made a mistake on the cheese we selected for appetizer (at 6 dollars an ounce you want to get what you ordered), told us the chicken was going to take 35 (!!) minutes to make, and ran out of spring rolls. To top it all, the waitress made a mistake and charged us for the spring rolls they didn’t have. I expect better from a gourmet restaurant, but we ignored it because we didn’t want to spoil the occasion. Breakfast was better. They had a rich buffet, and great, fresh food, and service was faster and more efficient. Again, it was expensive, but we enjoyed ourselves.
Spa: We had a couple-massage at the spa. The staff was friendly, the facilities were nice and clean and the massage was great. My husband thought he wasn’t going to enjoy it, but he actually liked it. Their rates are pretty high, though, and the only reason I booked it was because I took the spa package, which also included resort fee (yes, there are all kinds of extras you have to be aware of), complementary daily valet parking and hotel taxes.
Beware of getting locked out on the balcony. We sat there to watch the view and could not open the door to go back in. Luckily, the guests next door were also out on the balcony and they called front desk for us.
I suspect one of the reasons we had a great time is that the hotel wasn’t full. That’s because we were there in mid September. I ask myself what would happen if we arrived during summer-how long we will have to wait for the valet to bring our car, how big the lines at the buffet and registration will be, how high the noise level and how crowded the pool will be.
Overall, the resort was beautiful, the service fast and friendly, and the food was delicious. We absolutely recommend, and we’ll go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a community also known as "Surf City, USA", the resort offers easy access via a pedestrian walkway to eight miles of wide beaches where waves crash and surfers reign. The magnificent Andalusian architecture, reminiscent of Spain's southern coast, and lush landscaping combine to create a sense of casual elegance and your own private seaside retreat. All rooms have private terraces, and most feature stunning views of the Pacific. Five different dining restaurants,a grocery store, a full service spa and salon and two pools and several hot tubs on the property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Hotel Huntington Beach
- Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort And Spa