“Wonderful Stay, Wonderful Resort”

Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful Stay, Wonderful Resort”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I travel quite a lot for business and pleasure and this is the first review I have taken the time to write. I am doing so primarily to commend the outstanding service we received during our stay ...especially from our waiter, Steven, at Pete's Grill! While we really enjoyed the gourmet level food served at the resort's 4 star restaurant, The Californian, we made a special effort to return to the more informal "Pete's Grill" to dine on several occasions during our stay due in large part to the engaging and top notch service we received from Steven. In addition, the resort's amenities were first class, including our room ...directly overlooking the Pacific Ocean, and the spa and pool areas. All amenities were provided in our resort fee, including beach chairs and towels! Also, the resort has it's own private bridge connecting the property to the beach making access easy and fun. We have already reserved our rooms for our next visit! Washington DC will never be the same!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Pacific Ocean if possible.
1 Thank Bobbie M
ehodges, Manager at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our resort. We are thrilled to hear you had such an amazing stay and we will be sure to share your positive feedback with our staff.
At Hyatt we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach for your trip to Surf City USA. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort soon!
Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Springdale
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

The service, rooms, facility and food we all exceptional. My children say this is the nicest hotel they have ever seen! The kid pools and water slides were perfect for kiddos! I will stay here again next time we visit the area.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Heather C
At Hyatt we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach for your trip to Surf City USA. We sincerely hope that you are able to visit us again soon.

henderson, NV
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was my second stay, and I must say, they are consistently friendly and attentive.
My daughter and I arrived from out of town around 3pm and were told that our room was not guaranteed until 4pm and was not ready yet. Stacie at the front desk saw how tired we were and offered a room with two queens instead of our original King room at no additional cost.
The rooms are spacious and clean and everyone from housekeeper to bellhop go out of their way to meet any need you may have.
We even met an employee while trecking through the sand at the beach in the front, who offered to carry our chairs for us.
On our first night we sat by the fire pit near the pool and roasted marshmallows. The second night I saw that the fire was not on, so I asked a passing employee if it was closed, (it was 9pm) and he stopped what he was doing and went and got a fire going for us. :) I've been to other resorts, but this one wins the prize. Can't wait to come back.
I

Room Tip: bring your own marshmallows to roast :) and don't forget your gym shoes. The nice fitness room m...
2 Thank onemite

Fairborn, Ohio
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The hotel is very clean, the staff is friendly, the rooms are great, and the grounds are beautiful. It's everything that you could want from a hotel! The beach is right across the street and downtown Huntington is only a short walk away!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the ocean!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lucas L

Utah
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We like staying a Hyatt resorts. Always a pleasant experience. The service at this one is no exception. They always take care of us, and even upgraded our room for free. The resort is great for families and adults alike. The location is great and helps make a beach visit to Huntington Beach much more convenient and pleasant.

A few things to note...

The rooms are really just average. I would say the resort is 4 star while the rooms are only 3 star.

The parking is expensive!

There are many incidental charges that will pretty much add about 50% more to your bill beyond the stated room rates.

Everett, Washington
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this property. I loved the balcony with table and chairs in my king room and I must say the service here is 5 star. I had to rate this property a 4 star for a couple of reasons. First, I really appreciated the refrigerator in my room as I have special needs in regards to what I can eat and always need a refrigerator. Unfortunately, this one froze most of my salad and fruit and I had to throw it away. There is no adjustment a guest can access so I was stuck with it for 4 days. Also, the bathtub fixtures were loose and corroded, I expect more from a property like this and at this price point. The overall property is beautiful and the access bridge to the beach was great too. I wish they had a pool for adults only, would be a nice addition to have one area with no kids around. I would stay here again. Plus, it is very close to Normita's Surf City Tacos which has THE BEST fish taco on this earth.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank spiderterp

Brea, CA
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Just got back from three days at the Hyatt Huntington Beach. Our family has staycationed here once a year for the last three years. Our two other experiences were nice - what we'd expected from a resort like this, but this stay there were noticeable changes done at the hotel that made our experience even better.

First, the valet service was convenient, though overall expensive. Meh, what can do? It's a beachfront resort... That aside, we checked in with Candace at the front desk. Very pleasant and easy check in. Candace chitchatted with my daughter as we were checking in and set the tone for our stay. She even offered a smores kit for my children. So sweet and unexpected. We didn't actually get to use the kit since we stayed in a Regency Club room and had desserts at night.

Speaking of the Regency Club room, it is SO worth the extra $50 they charge!!! You get a great view on the fourth floor of the main swimming pool and the ocean. The Regency Club was slightly renovated from our trip last year and the food offerings just seemed more abundant and better. They say Continental Breakfast, but there's a hot dish (breakfast burrito and a wonderful quiche on the mornings we were there) on top of breads, fruit, cereals, yogurt, a full bagel spread including luncheon meat and hot oatmeal. The afternoon snacks included the best oatmeal raisin, peanut butter and/or chocolate chip cookies, trail mix, homemade granola bars, fresh whole fruit, full bottled drinks galore, and an assortment of nuts. Dinnertime included a hot appetizer (egg rolls and hush puppies on the evenings we were there) with delicious roasted veggies of red pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, carrots and onions. They had fresh cut veggies with dip as well. Then at 8:00, they brought out dessert. On the nights we were there, they had the delicious cookies, tiramisu, fudge squares, chocolate cupcakes, cheesecake fruit tarts (Mmmm), and homemade granola bars. The Club lounge was more than we could have asked for. Again, so worth it, especially for a family of four. (In our case, two rooms of four.)

We had dinner at The Californian for Father's Day. Thaddeus was our server. Very attentive and nice. He offered to show us the best place to watch the sunset, chitchatted with the kids, and was very pleasant overall. The food at the restaurant was very good. We sat outside next to the firepit. Gorgeous view and great weather. My dad ordered the surf and turf and hubby ordered the filet mignon. Both were very good according to the guys. Mom and I ordered lighter - salad and veggie risotto. Again, both very good. Portion sizes were small, but I think it's better for our waistlines in the end. The kids' meals were awesome. My daughter ordered grilled shrimp with penne pasta and tomato sauce. It came with edamame and salad. My son ordered steak - grilled to perfection. He loved it! Both meals were very healthy and I appreciated that. Most kids menus consist of deep fried chicken strips or a hamburger. Each kids meal was under $10, too. Great value.

What I really appreciated this trip was the complimentary beach amenities the resort offered. Last year I had to lug our tent, beach towels, boogie board and sand toys across the bridge. This year (though I brought everything again) I had no need for them because the hotel had chairs, umbrellas, and towels waiting at the end of the bridge. What a difference this makes when you've got little ones with you! That was such a convenience, and I appreciated that the hotel offered this for free! Thank you, Hyatt!

The kids enjoyed the swimming pools - both the main pool and the waterslide pool. The main pool was open until 10 and the kids loved swimming in the heated, lit pool. (I was freezing waiting outside for them, but what can you do?)

There are only two suggestions I have for the resort. We were a little inconvenienced at lunchtime because The Californian and the pizza place were closed during lunch. Our kids were at the pool, but my parents did not care for anything on the limited pool menu. I had to walk out to Wahoo's across the bridge to get them some healthy grilled fish tacos. The kids were fine with the hamburgers and hot dogs on the pool menu, and I had the Southwestern Caesar salad, but I felt there weren't enough healthy options. We got in trouble from the pool manager for bringing the Wahoo's into the pool area, but I explained that my parents didn't care for the poolside menu. He was nice about it, but just wanted to let us know. No big deal. The second suggestion I have is to have a game room for the kids to unwind when they're tired of the outdoor stuff. There is a dinky, dirty arcade next to the pizza place with some games. The kids used their money quick and were back within minutes. The Park Hyatt Aviara has an enormous game room filled with shuffleboard, Kinect, a wall of computer games, air hockey, three arcade games, ping pong, and a billiards table - all complimentary. My kids spent hours there and still talk about that game room. The resort did offer fun activities at Slyder's pool daily such as cookie decorating, jumbo games, and hair braiding, but at set times. They also have Camp Hyatt. I just feel a designated room for the kids to hang out would be nice.

Overall, this stay was amazing. My kids want to come back before the summer ends...in fact, so do I. Service, location, just everything was top notch!

1 Thank jek134
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!