“Service is still excellent; but overall experience a bit disappointing this time”

Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel no less than six times in the past seven years. We have always had a Regency Club suite on the concierge level (4th floor) with a king-sized bed and a full ocean view.

During that time, there have been some changes. As an example: I used to love the toiletries they provided; i.e., shampoo, conditioner, etc. The hand lotion smelled like eucalyptus; it was fabulous! They now provide what I consider to be inferior products: The shampoo did not lather well. The conditioner was so poor that I used an entire bottle the first day, and most of a bottle the second day! (My hair isn't long.) The hand lotion had no fragrance whatsoever, definitely not eucalyptus, and is not especially thick. The shower gel / body wash barely lathered; I had to continue to add shower gel to my mesh sponge. The gel would lather less than one full leg, then would require more gel.

The valet parking fee has changed, as well. When we started coming here in 2006, valet parking was $20 a day. It then went up to $25 day, then $31. It is now $34/day.

Speaking of fees, the resort fee is $25/day. The resort fee is fine for families who use the Disneyland shuttle; we don't. (I'd rather have a root canal than go to Disneyland.) The resort fee is fine if you use the fitness center. We don't. Because there are no "adults only" pools, we don't use the swimming pools. We have "dumb phones," do not text, do not carry I-products or a laptop with us, so we don't avail ourselves of the free wi-fi or other technical goodies. The only benefits we derive from the "resort fee" are free water and an in-room safe. However, we already get free water and soft drinks from the Regency Club by virtue of being in a Regency Club suite -- which has an in-room safe. So we derive absolutely no benefit from the resort fee. For these reasons, I stopped at the Front Desk mid-stay and asked Victoria to waive the resort fee. She agreed to do so "this time" as a customer courtesy, which I appreciate, but emphasized that this is a one-time only waiver.

Let's talk about restaurant choices and prices:

Assuming you don't count the pizza joint or the two pool-side "grills," which I don't, there are only two restaurant choices for "sit down" dining: Pete's Sunset Grill and The Californian.

The name of the surf-themed bar changed from "Pete Mallory's" to "Pete's Sunset Grill." Service there was phenomenal; better than on any of our previous visits. (Shout out to Evie and Dominick, et al.) The Tortilla Soup is exceptionally good, and unique.

We had planned to have dinner in the Californian at last once but found the dinner menu to be very limited. Also, we just didn't see anything that piqued our appetites. As an example, one of the entrees was served with pureed peas. Pureed peas? Isn't that baby food? Why oh why puree the peas?

I would not, however, leave without at least one breakfast in the Californian because they make the best Eggs Benedict EVER. They are perfect, every time. The Chef makes the Hollandaise sauce fresh each morning. Price? Breakfast for two this morning was $68. (Eggs Benedict, an omelette, a bowl of berries, one coffee, one iced tea, two OJs.)

We had breakfast in the Regency Club twice and relied on its offering of hors d'ouvres for dinner one evening. So how was the Regency Club? Breakfast and hors d'ouvres were both good. It wouldn't hurt, though, to step up the service a notch or two. We recently stayed at a Marriott in Panama City, Panama. The attendants would offer to refill my coffee cup, replenish our water, bring us more juice, always calling us by name. They would bus our dirty dishes in between trips to the buffet. Then they would offer to get us "more." (More fruit or more cereal, whatever.) Kick it up a notch.

What about hotel service? As always, service was excellent. The Doorman was always present and always pleasant. I can't complain about the service from the parking Valets, Bellmen, Front Desk or Housekeeping.

It seems that there is a "water slide park" for the kids; that's great. There is also an entire beach and ocean across the street which is packed with families; also great. The Hyatt's pools are also inundated with children. I respectfully suggest designating one pool for adults only, thereby offering a swimming option for ALL of your guests, including those who don't want to sunbathe and swim with children.

Sleep comfort: When we were shown to our room, the room was very cold -- which I love. I can't stand to be overly warm. However, I was too warm in bed, making sleep difficult. I got out of bed and started to turn down the thermostat, but it was already at 68 degrees. (I sleep with the thermostat set to 70 degrees at home.) Over the next two days I realized that everywhere in the room is very cool EXCEPT the bed. Apparently the vents are not close enough or aimed toward the bed, making that the one warm spot in the suite.

In summary, there is a lot to recommend this Hyatt: The hotel grounds are lovely; the location is awesome -- directly across from the ocean; the hotel itself is very nice. But it's getting to be very expensive to stay here. Considering the limited food choices, the fact that the pools are swarming with children, and the toiletries are inferior, I can no longer recommend this property as enthusiastically as I used to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank KSSeaB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston
Reviewed June 13, 2013

You can't beat the location, on the PCH facing the ocean. just cross the small walking bridge and you are on the beach. Nice, clean, large comfortable rooms, great landscaping and court yard. Spa is clean and well maintained. Staff are friendly and polite.

Vale Parking is a little expensive ($39) but you really don't have much of a choice unless you want to wake up before 6 AM and feed the meters till midnight!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was excited to visit the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach resort after seeing many of the positive feedbacks given on TripAdvisor. Upon arrival, I was immediately in awe. The grounds are amazing with many beautiful flowers. The staff is very polite and willing to assist with any problems/concerns/requests.

Rooms: Beds are amazing as well as the pillows. Rooms have shampoo/conditioner/lotion/body soap (a very good brand at that) along with toothpaste and a shower cap. These get refilled daily. There is a small fridge- average size. No freezer.

Dining: There are a couple different dining options. you will be able to find something to eat at all hours. Would not recommend late night in-room dining. I ordered a pizza at 1am, they told me it cost $12. Once it arrived, I was charged $20 and the pizza was a personal pan size pizza, thin crust, with minimal cheese and sauce. might as well ate cardboard. They had a buffet breakfast every morning that is $24/pp which I thought was quite expensive considering one could order a meal for $13 off the menu. Buffet consisted of omlets, cereal, bagels, toast, fresh fruit, yogurt, hot plates (sausage, French toast, pancakes, crepes) that varied each day. OJ comes with the buffet price.

Spa: Visited the spa facility to use steam room, hot tub, and showers. Very nice facility. Treatments are very over priced, even for a nice resort. 90 min massage run at $200- have paid much less than this at other Hyatt Regency resorts.

Pool/Beach: The pool is nice sized (did not see the children's pool) and they have waiters around for all your drink and food needs. Food comes very fast and is reasonably priced for the hotel/resort setting. As mentioned, there is a private bridge for HR clients to use that leads right to the beach. Beach is beautiful, has many fire pits and volleyball courts for recreation purposes. The Huntington Beach Pier is about a 15 min walk on the board walk and is a very pleasant walk. Many surf shops and restaurants available.

Nightlife: I visited with another female friend (age 27) and there was not much night life in the area. Downtown had a couple bars that were much more busy on the weekend (although on the weekend there was a line to get into all the bars and restaurants/bars closed early 0030-0130) so we didn't have many options after 0130 but to go back to the hotel. Red Chair Lounge was open so that was a nice place to go back to. There is a shuttle that will take you downtown that costs $3 (if you don't wanna do the 10 min walk) but be sure to look at where they dropped you off because that is where they will pick you up and its kinda in a weird spot). The shuttle only runs until 10 p so if you stay later you either need to walk back or take a $6 taxi.

In general, would def recommend. Huntington Beach is a great vacation area and the resort makes it that much better!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank angie1102
ehodges, Manager at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our resort. We are thrilled to hear you had such an amazing stay and we will be sure to share your positive feedback with our staff.
At Hyatt we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach for your trip to Surf City USA. We sincerely hope that you are able to visit us again soon.

Oakland, California
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I am a Hyatt Platinum member, and reserved a room at this hotel for business in Orange County due to my hotel membership. I reserved a partial ocean view room, and was given a room overlooking a factory smokestack across a busy street. The gym is decent, and the food at breakfast was fine, but I would stay someplace else if I had to go to Orange County again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank jsoak
Frisco TX
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Home away from home! Comfortable rooms with nice views of the ocean in the distant, over looking beautiful gardens and pool area. Coffee pots, frig, nice size bathroom, clean, comfortable beds, walking distance to shopping, dining and bridge over main road to ocean. I didn't mind the daily hotel fee since it bestowed our family a lot of extras. I am a professional traveler and I always appreciate kindness and respect so when we checked in we explained we were on a family vacation and taking in the sights, it happened to be my husbands birthday week and my daughter's was the following. Of course I asked nicely for an ocean view if possible. The young women was so nice she said she would upgrade us to a better room no extra charge & explained the parking fees at the hotel which was the only thing I didn't care for, however we were able to negotiate a better daily rate. I read about parking on the street in other reviews on TA however I am on vacation and CA parking is not easy to come by so I would say it was worth having them park your car. It was also very easy to retrieve when you called down from your room. I don't believe we ever had to wait. The valets were so forth coming on info and directions even though we had a GPS, gotta love Google maps never once got lost. Also they gave us passes to the Concierge level which included continental breakfast, very nice, snacks afternoon, evening cocktails, honesty policy, all water and non-alcohol beverages free all day. We never ate at the restaurant's because we were out all day taking in local sights and dining. I appreciated everything this hotel staff did to make our family visit the best.

Room Tip: I really don't think there's a bad room. Since the hotel is across street from ocean most ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Lancashire UK
Reviewed June 5, 2013

superb experience - beautiful room and surroundings- fabulous location - beautiful spa- a restful and comfortable experience - good eats at Pete's Grill and a nice pool - we loved it ! Went for four days at the end of a busy itinerary beginning in Las Vegas followed by a stay in San Francisco. If you want to go to LA/ Hollywood the hotel can recommend a range of day trips which pick up from the hotel - it's about an hour to LA-shuttle buses from the airport are reasonable - about 16$ per person - we did it all in one day so had lots of time to relax and use facilities, visit Main St which is a 20 minute walk from hotel, and eat at Duke's- legendary fish restaurant. All good !

Room Tip: The courtyard containing the spa and fitness suite is lovely - quiet and pretty
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Redlands, California, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Upon entering, everyone must valet park. I came on a weekend- busy! I had to wait in a long line of cars, then no one helped me with my bags even though I had a small child. The grounds are huge, so I had to walk quite a ways to get to my room. Then there was a red stain on the carpet in my room!! My ocean view was past overlooking a parking lot- yuck!
Won't come back- not worth the price.

• Stayed May 2013
#2 of 17 in Newport Beach
Best Western Surf City
Best Western Surf City
#6 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!