“Great hotel, bad for the resort fee”

Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mexico City
“Great hotel, bad for the resort fee”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I stayed for 2 nights with my daughter and wife and I must say is a great hotel.

The staff is very very friendly and helpful.

The room is excellently appointed with what it seems to be new furniture, as well all of the hotel facilities, which are excellent.

The bad part is that when you check out you are charged a Resort Fee ($25) of which you are not informed in the hotel's web site or during check in. This is something very delicate that the company has to resolve, since it's clearly hidden cost.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank RODMexicoCity
ehodges, Manager at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our resort. We are thrilled to hear you had such an amazing stay and we will be sure to share your positive feedback with our staff. We recently completed a guestroom renovation so I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room. I apologize that you were unaware of our $23 resort services fee; however, it is listed on the booking page of our website under rooms and rates.
At Hyatt we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach for your trip to Surf City USA. We sincerely hope that you are able to visit us again soon.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Stayed here in early June with our kids (5 and 7) for a work/pleasure few days. Eron took great care of us and we were upgraded upon check in to 2 wonderful adjoining rooms. Bridge to beach was great and so was the Friday night movie poolside. I travel extensively and write very few reviews, but we were shown special care here. Kids loved the place and can't wait to go back. Thanks Eron!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed for 5 nights in May 2011. I cannot in good conscience give the Hyatt a good rating given the poor, rude customer service. Upon checkout I paid my bill with my debit card because I wanted to pay cash for the trip. I was assured this was the final bill and paid in full. I made it clear I wanted no charges to go on my credit card (they had that number from the original reservation) and I wanted to pay for everything in full on my debit card. When I got home I discovered charges were put on my credit card that I already paid for (double billing!!). I called the hotel and spoke with BRANDY who told me that the charges were for room service the last day and "maybe just didn't make it on the final bill upon checkout". I felt it unlikely that a charge made at 7 am for breakfast did not make it to the bill a day later. I told her I was told the entire bill was paid upon check out and I, in fact, remember seeing these charges on my bill at check out. She insisted they were not. I told her I wanted to see an itemized bill and she said she would email it to me to "prove it". I was shocked at her attitude and rude demeanor. Given that I spent over $1500 in a 5 day period at the hotel and paid what was represented to me to be the "final bill" I asked if she would waive this $25.76 added on later. She said absolutely not and "IF YOU SPENT IT THEN YOU WILL PAY FOR IT!". I find it hard to believe the Hyatt can't eat $25 after the massive amount of money I spent at their hotel. I asked to speak to her boss and she said she was the boss and the manager of the front desk. I told her certainly she must have a boss and that I wanted a call from him/her. She said she would have "Branden" call me the next day.

After hanging up, I opened the email from her of my itemized bill. THIS IS THE SHOCKER, it showed plain as day the room service charge was FULLY paid for upon check out just like I said it was. She said the amount was for room service for breakfast, which was clearly in the bill as paid in full. The $25.76 was actually a "resort fee" charged for the day after my departure.

I called back BRANDY and asked her to READ THE ITEMIZED BILL SHE SENT ME. She than was forced to admit that SHE MADE A MISTAKE. She was given every opportunity to make things right and she did not. I find it hard to believe this person is a manager. Her attitude and customer service skills were horrendous.

During the stay I also inquired of the conciege regarding the kid's programs. She did not know what was on the schedule for the day and inquired of the other conciege and he didn't know either. She told me she didn't know and would have to ask the BELL HOP. She walked over and spoke with the group of men by valet parking to ask about children's programs for that day. I find that to be extremely odd. I thought the point of the conciege is to know what's going on at the hotel.

There are a million hotels to pick from and I would encourage you to RUN from this one. Whatever you do, double check every charge and any card they have a number for.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Sunrise20119
ehodges, Manager at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
On behalf of the staff at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort and Spa, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property.
I am sorry to hear that you encountered some issues during your stay with incorrect billing and poor customer service.
While we would always rather hear positive feedback, we appreciate the fact that you shared your experience with us and we will use these specific issues in our training and coaching of our staff.
At Hyatt we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach for your trip to Surf City USA. Should you return to Huntington Beach in the future I sincerely hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to show you our dedication to our guests and service.

Germantown, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Stayed here on a Rose Bowl package. Located across the coastal highway from the very wide beach. Easy access via the pedestrian bridge. Ten minute walk to downtown Huntington Beach with a long fishing pier, interesting shops, and good restaurants. Try to get a room with ocean, pool or mountain views. Interior courtyard view that we had didn't offer much. On site pub was fun and offered very tasty appetizers. Location is rather far from LA tourist sites but great if you're looking for a laid back beach vacation.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Kelowna
Reviewed June 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this resort for 4 nights. Everything about the hotel, staff and facilities were exceptional. But, when we got our credit card bill in the mail the next month, we discovered we had an extra charge to our Visa that was not ours. Actually, the charge for over $400 was billed to our Visa and apparently intended for someone else. After a brief phone call to the resort to resolve the problem, we were assured we would be refunded back to the Visa, and it was, but, since we are Canadian, our credit card company charged us a hefty fee for the return of the funds. We then sent a letter to the hotel explaining the problem and requesting that they reimburse us the fees for the Visa charges. After a long wait, we did receive from the hotel, the exact amount of money we were out from the Visa charges (in American dollars, therefore we were still out a few dollars for the currancy exchange).
We understand that mistakes are made, apparently their accounting department needs some attention.
Not sure if we will ever stay at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort again simply because we don't need to worry about credit card charge mistakes. It's a great resort but watch your charge cards!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sunseeker4445
ehodges, Manager at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our resort. We are pleased to hear your overall impression was a positive one, we will be sure to share your feedback with our team.
At Hyatt we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we apologize for having fallen short of your expectations as well as our own with respect to the billing error. We thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach for your trip to Surf City USA and despite our error, hope that you are able to visit us again soon. Thank you again for your feedback and for choosing Hyatt.

Ft. Worth, Texas
Reviewed May 31, 2011

The hotel is literally within walking distance of the beach. The amenties, although we didn't use them, were really beautiful and the pools were monitored for use by guests only. The outlet areas (restaurants, shops) had good variety for food and snacks, including s'mores kits for the beach.

The one drawback is having to pay a $25 resort fee per night. With all of the pool areas and spa on-site I can understand the fee, but it would be nice if you could pay for it only if you use those amenities. It's still likely your best option, even compared to the Hilton next door.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StacyTX
Lake Tahoe
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Hotel beautiful and meticulously maintained. Front Desk and Concierge service very good. Excellent location across street from beach (can see from balcony). Restaurants, shopping, pier, boardwalk, running and biking along beach, safe area to walk, can swim in ocean, watch surfers. can rent/buy anything you need or forget from hotel. Good for families or Romance. Stayed 2 nights, next time staying longer.
We are International travelers in our 50's

Room Tip: If you can afford it get Regency Club.