“Surfing instruction at its best!”
Review of Surfriders Academy

Surfriders Academy
Ranked #1 of 27 Tours in Huntington Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the most fun surf lesson ever! We Specialize in first time beginners, Private surf lesson rate:$120 includes Surfboard, Wetsuit, and a 1.5 hour surf lesson,or group surf lesson rate: 2 or more persons $90 each includes Surfboards, Wetsuits and a 1.5 hour surf lesson. All surf lessons take place at the beach, NOT AT THE 5TH STREET SURF SHOP... Call us for our Locations... Text or email us today to book a surf lesson by appointment only. We would need your Height ,Weight, Gender for wetsuit size. Plus a credit card number to hold to book Reservations.
Reviewed September 10, 2014 via mobile

We booked our surf lesson today last minute and could not have been more pleased with the results.

After getting good directions to Seal Beach, we met our instructor Ed at the beach. Right away, Ed made us feel right at home in his home town and got right to the instruction. After covering everything from safety to surf etiquette, we then moved to the water. Ed was just as excited about sharing the prospect of surfing to beginners as we were to learning.

After a few practice runs, plus quite a bit of expected falls, my girlfriend and I both were able to stand up for legitimate surfing. Ed went through each fall with us, guiding small changes until we were both able to ride for a few seconds at a time.

We can't recommend Ed and the surf school any higher for personal, effective lessons for any skill level. Learn to surf from Ed!

SurfridersAcademy, General Manager at Surfriders Academy, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2014

This is ED your surf instructor LOL it was good times teaching you surfing, we just are speechless Thank You Ed M.

All reviews
"encouragement"
in 5 reviews
"session"

Reviewed September 8, 2014

My buddy and I wanted to learn how to surf as it always look fun! Our instructor was Eric and he did an EXCELLENT job! Safety was their first priority. I guess while we were there, California was experiencing the biggest waves they had seen in 50 years. They called us the night before our lessons to inform us they were moving our lessons to a different beach with calmer waves. The waves were still bigger than they expected the morning of our lessons. Eric did a great job with us though. He taught us how to watch the waves and kept moving us around the beach if we started to drift or the waves got rougher in the given area. The value is great for the service you get. We did a 2 person group lesson. We were the only ones in the group. Other companies have you take lessons with larger groups. We loved that we were able to just do a private group lesson for no additional cost. Next time we go back to the OC, we will definitely be taking another lesson. Oh, and yes, I was able to get up on the board!

1  Thank BeachBumGuy85
SurfridersAcademy, Manager at Surfriders Academy, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2014

Hey its Eric, so stoked you guys were surfing! yea gotta come out again when your here again, Thanks for the awesome review, Eric G.

Reviewed September 7, 2014

I booked Surfriders after reading the positive reviews on trip advisor. Dealing with Marcus was easy. He calls/texts back, follows up, etc... I even had to make a night-before change in plans and he handled it without a snag. Pure professional.

Our lesson was with Ed Morgan. Ed was just the best. He heard from Marcus that my son was coming and had never surfed before so he chose a beach that had smaller waves to make sure he'd have a good time. He started out giving us equal instruction time and then gave me enough to go out further and on my own a bit. He spent the majority of the time making sure my son surfed some waves and had a good time. It was fantastic seeing how good Ed was with him.

I can't imagine a better instructor than Ed! I've read lots of good things about Marcus, but one of the best things Marcus has done is work with Ed!

Thanks Surfriders from both myself and my 9 year old son!

1  Thank William S

So overwhelmed with the nice review! as they say in Hawaiian mahalo :) look us up next summer and it was great meeting you all Thanks Ed...

Reviewed September 6, 2014

I have surfed a little in the past (in Texas, so take that as you will) but never had an official lesson so my bridesmaids took me to Huntington Beach for my bachelorette party! We were a bit nervous but Ed did a great job educating us on surf safety, pop up positions, and what to expect. He brought wetsuits that fit us perfectly (yay!) and two different types of boards (I love the Greco!). Out on the water, Ed was the picture of PATIENCE! We had a group of 4 so that's a lot of girls to babysit but Ed paid attention to each of us and made sure we had PLENTY of opportunities to catch waves. For beginners, Ed teaches you to ID the waves and assists in giving you a little push to make sure you've got the necessary momentum. After each wave, we'd get immediate feedback - comments about what we could focus on for the next wave and, of course, a lot of CHEERING us on!! I felt like such a ROCKSTAR every time I caught a wave because I'd look back and see my girls and Ed hooting and hollering and fist-pumping :D One of my bridesmaids is a mother and she wants to fly her kids to HB just to have Ed teach them - no one else would do. I wholeheartedly agree :) Thanks again for an unforgettable bachelorette surf experience, Ed!!

1  Thank Tiffani T

Well hello Tiffani..just a blast teaching you wonderful girls to surf :) I really stoked you all had fun! Thank you for a great review. ED...

See more reviews
Reviewed September 2, 2014

We vacation at Huntington Beach every few years. Two years ago, our boys had a surf lesson with Ed from Surfriders Academy. He was awesome and they learned so much. So since we were going to be coming to HB again, my husband was sure to look Ed up again so we could schedule another lesson. Ed is a fantastic teacher! He is kind and patient and explains things in a way you can understand. He paints the goal and the big picture but pays attention to detail and personalizes the steps you need to take to get there. He goes out of his way to get you to the right beach based on your skill level and the surf and he even helped us park. You won't find a kinder man in this town. If you are looking for a good day on the waves and someone who will individualize your lesson and take time with you, this is the place to call!
We will definitely be back!!!

Thank you for the kind review, its a very rewarding job we have teaching surfing and speading the Aloha...Ed...