Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Huntington Surf Inn(Huntington Beach)
View Hotel
Huntington Beach Inn(Huntington Beach)
  • Breakfast included
Sun 'n' Sands Motel(Huntington Beach)
View Hotel
Pasea Hotel & Spa(Huntington Beach)
  • Beachfront
Huntington Suites(Huntington Beach)
  • Pool
Best Western Surf City(Huntington Beach)
Rodeway Inn(Huntington Beach)
View Hotel
Beach Inn Motel(Huntington Beach)
1,217 results
All reviewswine houracross the streetping pongdog beachdog friendly hotellaid backperfect locationwalk in showerhotel restaurantocean viewshopping and restaurantshuge bathroomfront desk staffloved this hotelvalet parkingbeach chairsmain st
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I was in Huntington Beach on business and chose the Shorebreak because of its proximity to the beach. Good call on my part! The location cannot be beat if you want to be close to the beach and close to good shopping and food.

I shared a room with a co-worker so we could stay in budget. The room was clean and a nice size. The bathroom is cool but there is no tub. It only has a large shower with a 1/2 glass wall so there is no privacy, which wasn't a big deal. We had a view of the pier from our room so I really enjoyed that.

We had a drink at the hotel restaurant one night and I wasn't very impressed. Although it's a nice place, it was kind of boring and the hostess was a dud. The service was mearly ok. The drinks were good, but pricey. We LOVED eating at the Sugar Shack. I highly recommend that.

The only odd thing was having 2 long distance calls placed from our room that were not placed by us. It was kind of creepy to think that someone (staff?) made long distance calls from our room when we weren't there. Nothing was stolen but that was still creepy. The charges were removed with no questions.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2010

Dear chispa_c,

We were glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Shorebreak. Its nice to know the location was more than satisfying.

I have taken the time to share the comments about your experience in the bar with the restaurant manager. Although we do not know specifically who served you, we are taking the time to share this review with each of the servers to ensure this does not happen again.

As for the phone call issue on your bill, please do not be alarmed. I have done some investigating and it seems we had two rooms on the same night get their lines crossed. This is not a problem we have had in the past, but it was an easy fix. After running a key report on the two room doors the report showed no one being in your room during the time of the call. Please accept my humble apology for the error. The problem has already been resolved. My maintenance staff is more than confident that this will not happen again.

Although you enjoyed your stay, we as a management team are not completely satisfied that you were not satisfied. We need to do a better job at serving our clients and making sure our systems are in order. Thank you for the honest feedback.

Reviewed October 19, 2010

We loved how close the hotel was to everything that we wanted to do. After we parked the car we never left until we checked out. There was a Catholic church walking distance which was important to us. The restaurant at the hotel was very good and the service was great, even when our 2 year old kept pushing some of the cushions. The proximity to the beach is perhaps the best part about the hotel...we made several trips back and forth as needed for our little one to take her naps, etc.

The only downside was that I had a booked a courtyard view room with two queen beds and they gave us a handicap accessible room that did not have a tub (which was important for us to bathe our daughter). The hotel staff did switch us to a different room but it was right across from a noisy door (but thankfully we could not hear it through to our room). The view also was to the back of a antique shop, rather than complaining again, I sacrificed the courtyard view for the tub. We loved the tub and used it many times throughout our stay :)

For those who are eco-conscious-I did notice that they still use some traditional non energy efficient lights int he room, which did not seem very eco-conscious, but I guess having a large tub is not either.

The service from hotel staff, restaurant was awesome, however the reason I gave it three stars is because they did not clean our room till 1:30 PM and our daughter was already asleep in the stroller, so we had to wait another 45+ minutes while they cleaned our room.

Overall though this is a GREAT hotel ...like I said our family loved how close it was to everything and we hope to come back soon.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

Dear MamadeEloise,

I just got done reviewing your comments regarding your recent stay here at the Shorebreak. I sure hope you and your 2 year old had a wonderful time here. The restaurant manager would also like to thank you for the great comments you made about the food and service.

I am sorry to hear that you had a less than perfect experience with the location of your room. Although we have a handful of rooms that do not have a great view, I hope the staff was accomodating to your needs. It seems like the bathtub was a good option for you. We train our staff to do whatever is in there means to take care of our guests. Please accept my apology for not having exactly what you needed. As a side note, since we are still a young hotel we are in the process of getting the Hotel up to "Green" standards. The light bulb issue is a project we are currently working on. Over the next year you should also see some small changes such as recycling bins in all the guest rooms and recycled paper being used for all our menus.

Again, we appreciate your candid feedback. We use this constructive feedback to better ourselves and train our staff.

Reviewed October 14, 2010

My husband and I just got back from a wonderful 4-night stay at Shorebreak. We really can't say enough good things about this hotel.

Our pleasant experience started two days before we even arrived in California. The concierge (TJ, I believe) called us at home in Canada to ask if there was anything he could do for us in preparation of our arrival. Definitely a nice touch - one I've never experienced before.

The hotel itself is very "sufter chic". It's a great blend of retro/funky/modern/charming. The decor is cool, and there was some great artwork in the gallery on the bottom floor. The room istelf was very comfortable and extremely clean, with a huge bathroom. The beds and linens were extremely comfortable. We didn't have an ocean view room - our balcony overlooked the terrace and it was still nice.

While we didn't eat in the Zimzala restaurant, we did have a drink there one evening and it was lovely. The menu looked great, and we'll definitely make a point to eat there next time.

Once of the coolest features of this hotel is their daily "wine hour". From 5:00 - 6:00 each evening guests are treated to complimentary California wines. Be sure to take a glass out onto the terrace and sit around one of the fire pits.

The service we recieved was incredible - from the front desk staff to the valet parkers. I really can't recommend this hotel enough. I can't wait to have the opportunity to return.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kudle

Dear kudle,

Just wanted to send a quick thanks out for the wonderful review you posted. TJ is definitely one of our best employees and it means a lot to him that you recognized him in your review. I wanted to mention that our wine hour is one of our most popular guest amenities here at the Hotel. It gives everyone a chance to relax after a long day at the beach or at work.

Thank you so much for staying at one of our Joie De Vivre Properties. We appreciate your business and hope to see you at another one of our properties in the near future.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The staff was friendly, but the restaurant that provides the room service was so terrible I couldn't stomach the $40 meal. There are no movies to purchase in the room, so foget about having a nice evening in. There is an issue on the top (4th) floor with the air conditioners on the roof. They make a noise so loud that it sounds like a helicopter landing right above you. The noise and vibration are so bad that the metal casings around the fire sprinklers come loose and rattle. The employees know about this issue (the engineer that came to check the fire sprinklers said that he deals with this problem all the time and the front desk agent I complained to said that guests complain about the problem all the time) and yet they say nothing about it when you check in. Upon check out, I complained to the front desk and the girl told me that she was sorry and then told me that I could fill out the survey that would be emailed along with my room bill. When I got the bill though, there was no survey attached.

The SHorebreak hotel is NOT worth the high price tag. I would have been much better off staying at the Best Western that is 3 blocks down Pacific Coast Highway.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank Chelseawashere
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2010

Dear Chelsea,

Thank you for the candid feedback regarding your stay here at the Shorebreak. Please accept my sincere apology for the noise issues during your stay. The loose bracket around the fire sprinkler was in fact due to vibration. This is the first we have heard about it and I am teribbly sorry that our desk clerk miss-communicated with you. The problem has been fixed. I have also already addressed the issue regarding your room servcie order.

Since your checked out, you and I have had several conversations via e-mail to help rectify the situation. You have given me detailed information regarding the issues, which has helped me tremendously. I appreciate your comments and can only hope that you an I have come to a mutual agreement on the solution to the problem. As I mentioned in my e-mails to you, we are in the business of satifying every guest and I hope after our conversations that you are completely satisfied with the outcome. You have my name and number and if you have any further inquiries or issues, please contact me personally.

Sincere apologies,

Reviewed October 11, 2010

Having accidentally booked 'the bates motel' elsewhere in Huntington Beach, I was worried I wouldn't find decent accommodation on a hot weekend. The recently complete Shorebreak had a vacancy - thankfully. Its restaurant is fantastic (best meal i had in 3 weeks!), the rooms fantastic (the best bed I slept in during 3 weeks, including feather pillow) and the staff - they couldn't do enough for you. Oh and it's walking distance to the beach (the hotel will provide towels and even boogie boards). It also allows dogs - so if you're travelling with your pooch, it's the ideal locale.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family