“Great Get Away” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Ponder, Texas
“Great Get Away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Very nice beach themed hotel located within steps of the Huntington Beach Pier. I had a conference in Anaheim and decided to fly in a day early to hang out at the beach. Huntington Beach is about a 25 minute drive from John Wayne Airport. Room was very spacious, clean, and the queen bed for so comfy. Loved the modern décor and layout of the walk in shower. Hotel has parking garage which it was cheaper to valet than self park. Hotel has fire pits and table/chairs at night in their courtyard area to enjoy the evening. Several places to eat, shops, CVS pharmacy within walking distance. I enjoyed watching the surfers and the beautiful weather. I got a great hotel rate on Expedia. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank SDKennedy
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear SDKennedy,

Thank you so much for your nice words about our property. I'm super glad you enjoyed Huntington Beach. Next time you decide to stay with us, we would be more than happy to honor your rate directly through the hotel! Just give us a call when you find a good rate online and our reservations team will do the rest! Thank you so much!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Shorebreak Hotel in Huntington Beach. The location and setting are just a bit awkward but the designers and architects have done wonders to turn this into a nearly boutique hotel kind of experience in a larger setting.

The valet parking is handy but it is also pricey. Kind of expected for such a great location -- just across the street from The Huntington Beach Pier and sand.

Surprising to us were two things -- the immense size of our suite and the wonderful dining options in the restaurant. Our suite was enormous. The bath area alone included a two-person shower, a full bath, large and well-lit areas. We had a balcony and two large-screen TVs.

The staff is superb! Very well trained and wonderfully focused on customer comforts.

Would definitely stay here again. Cosy and yet so very roomy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear tpmedia,

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so excited that you loved our property. I really am a personal fan of the boutique style property, and i'm really happy you like it too. Our interior designer was awesome! She made all the common areas and guest rooms look very unique and chic. Our Epic ballrooms where we have our group meetings looks awesome as well. I hope to see you back soon in the coming months!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Awesome location, walking distance from great shops, restaurants, and the beach. I loved the modern, yet cozy decor in the lobby and in our suite. I was surprised by the size of our room given the boutique style and close proximity to the beach. I will certainly return to this hotel the next time I want a little getaway from Los Angeles.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank YelperGoneGlobal
Kauai, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Great spot for a weekend getaway but make sure you know what you're paying for. This is not a luxury hotel and it does not have luxury amenities. This is casual chic, very beachy, and very much geared towards surfers and pet owners. The restaurant was just ok, nothing very interesting on the menu to speak of. Lots of shopping nearby and some decent places to get a drink but everything is mass market so be ready for it. No artisan type bars/restaurants/shops in this part of Huntington, we're talking Dukes, Johnny Rockets, etc. I took my fiancee for one night to celebrate her birthday and we had a blast but we didn't expect Huntington to look like Abbot Kinney. Also note- the surf at Huntington is famous because of the contests which have been held there and the iconic pier, not because of the actual surf. As a surf spot it is very fickle based on shifting sand bars and very crowded so if you're a beginner this is not your spot. On very small days it might be fine for beginners but anything over waist high and you are just going to be in the way and likely get dirty looks at the very least. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from surfing there, just want folks to know what they're in for.

One thing I need to mention is that I had several packages sent from Amazon directly to the hotel and the folks at the front desk were nice enough to set those aside for us and handed them over when we checked in. I would have preferred if the boxes were sent up to the room ahead of us but again, don't mistake this for a luxury hotel because it mostly definitely is not.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms have a great view but lots of street noise from PCH, garden view room may be a bett...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear mrrbluewater,

Thank you so much for your words about our property. Here at Shorebreak, we pride ourselves on our luxury service we offer for our guests. I can't agree more with our location. We pride ourselves on having the best location in Huntington Beach. The Shorebreak is a boutique style hotel with emphasis with our one-on-one interactions.

I apologize for the packages you had delivered to us were not set into your room prior to arrival. I've spoken with my front desk staff and are coming up with better ideas on how to improve that aspect of our customer service.

Hope to see you back soon.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I checked in for a 4 day vacation with my mother and brother in law.

The good: staff are incredibly friendly, ( although all he staff must if been in their 20's) location is fantastic, the rooms are huge, the hotel is very clean, and the atmosphere is wonderful - very relaxed and the place is dog friendly which is great.

The bad: nearly $20 a day for internet. I just tethered off my phone and the valet parking at $27 a day. So make sure you budget those things into your stay. Overall the stay certainly wasn't super cheap, but also not crazy expensive.

I would certainly recommend this place, and as a passionate surfer myself I loved waking up and taking a wall down to the pier to see the waves. I flew all the way from Australia and I was not disappointed.

I would certainly come back.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Ben T
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Benjamintrinh,

Thank you so much for your review of our property. I'd like to apologize that the price of internet and valet wasn't what you would expect. We pride ourselves on our valet staff to be as professional and as efficient as possible to try and make every cent count. When you sign up for our Joy Of Life club, one of the perks of being a member is that you get complementary internet. Upon your next stay with us, i'd love to sign you up for it.

i'm so happy that you tried our out foreign waves and were not disappointing. It is always awesome to hear that someone from another continent would fly in just to experience our waves. Australia is on my all-time favorite list of places to go!

Kamloops, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

First the good: Great location. You can't beat the location of this hotel. The beach is pretty much in the lobby. The building has the clean, modern feel of a boutique hotel, but with a casual pet-friendly atmosphere. The room was above average in size and amenity. And the check in and out process was helpful and fast.
Now the bad: In the end, the staff were helpfull. They were just very young. At that price point for a room, I was expecting a higher level of service. That was my assumption I geuss. But there is something to be said about the service you get from mature professionals in the hospitality industry. The teenager who checked me kept insisting that he needed to speak to my wife because the reservation was in her name. I showed him ID that proved I was her husband, offered my own credit card for the check in, and tried to point out that she was tending to my two year old who just finished a long day of travel, but he insisted my wife be there before he could give me a room key. You should never tell a guest "no" especially when there are so many solutions to such an easy problem.
The other bad side is one you probably are finding more and more in the industry. And that is the nickel and dime charges for internet and parking. As a hotel you may as well charge me for towels or water. Internet and parking was close to another $50 per day. Just add it into the price for the room, please. A little perk like complimentary wi-fi is appreciated and remembered. As for parking, if you want to save the money there was free parking within walking distance to the hotel. The spots are competitive, but they are there. If you valet, make sure to tip those kids.
Overall would I return? 100%. This hotel is a no-brainer. Well run, clean, great location. I loved it.

Room Tip: Ocean View is nice if you've never seen it before. But I prefered a room that was quiet and awa...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Ben S,

Thank you so much for your review of our property. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with getting into your room. Our security for our guests are our number 1 priority. Our staff is extremely well trained, per company policy, to ensure that the correct full name on the reservation match the government issued photo identification. Next time you decide to stay with us at check in, I can add your name to the reservation at your spouses discretion.

I'm so excited that you loved the property itself. I would highly recommend coming back sometime in the summer to see all the buzz that the summer brings. Please send me an E-mail when you decide to come back, i'd love to hear more about your stay.

Edgewood, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We checked in on Christmas day, spent 6 nights. There were 6 of us, using 3 rooms. All on the 4th floor. I changed rooms once. The employees with their over-the-top attitudes compensate for any property misgivings to make this a 5 star hotel from a 4.

The hotel is certainly located in a great spot. Loads of restaurants & bars that are very walkable from this hotel. We had only great experiences with every place we stopped in at. Zimzala is the on-site restaurant, which was also perfect. The bar was stocked with top-shelf & every meal we had here was perfect. AND they do have a very nice breakfast. Our reservations included the Continental Breakfast – and it was very good as well as a-la-cart that we occasionally ordered.

All the staff members were extremely friendly, and went out of their way for anything, and I mean everyone from the valet guys to the maids. The front desk people are exceptional.

I think every room has a different layout. My room did not have a tub and was a bit tight with 1 queen bed. Our sons had the handicap room which was very roomy and had 2 queen beds. 2 of our rooms faced the courtyard, 1 faced the street with the hotel entrance. I would recommend the street view, but the courtyard with the fire pits was very nice too.

I found it amazing that with all the dogs in the hotel that there was never any trace of them, if you know what I mean. We did not bring our dogs, but the rooms we used had no trace what-so-ever of any pets ever being in there.

The beach, the pier, the shops, and the restaurants being so close makes this a “can’t miss good choice” to stay. I doubt we make it back to Huntington Beach, but if we do – we will stay here.

Advice, if you fly in : get a rental car at the airport. It's a $40 cab ride to this hotel. ...and you'll want a car to visit Rodeo Dr., Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Newport Beach, and even Disneyland if you dare. or drive up to Santa Monica.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear LuvDCaribbean,

Thank you so much for this awesome review! i'm so happy that you enjoyed pretty much all aspects of our property. Our staff tries very hard to ensure that every interaction will be one to be remembered. I hope you'll get a chance to come back to Huntington Beach at some point. If so, we'll have a room here for you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
#1 of 17 in Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel? Share your experiences!