“Great Hotel - Perfect Location”

Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Huntington Beach
“Great Hotel - Perfect Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

My first thought when checking in was that the hotel looks way better in person, in the photos I was a little worried about the rooms I thought they looked a little dated abit too surfer. But in real life the hotel is awesome. Nice and modern, clean and really cool.

We arrived at as good time and received a free glass of wine each whilst checking in. Our first room we had a problem with the shower so within 10 minutes they had upgraded us to a bigger room with no problem at all.

Great staff, great location.

I would difinetely stay here again, I wish we could bring our dogs from Australia :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Helen B, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Ljg43,

Five O’Clock is the best time to arrive at our hotel. It’s always a great start to a stay when you get to check in with a glass of wine. I see you are from Australia, I actually went to college in Adelaide and it was an awesome time. The Aussies sure know how to make one feel welcome. I am glad that you got to see our hotel in person; our location is perfect being within walking distance of the beach and many restaurants. Hope to see you back at the Shorebreak again when you find yourself in California.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Truly my only complaint with the hotel was the room size. Otherwise, it's a great option to explore Huntington Beach! Rooms were clean if a bit spartan and small. Lobby was well done, decorations surfer themed and cool. Many good restaurants within walking distance and the retail is hip (but probably pricey). Don't skip the opportunity to run on the beach!
Surprisingly, also a good place to have business meetings. Facilities are nice, the staff is up to the challenge and the morale effect on the team is as you would imagine! Productive and fun!

Room Tip: 200 series, odd numbers should get you a beach view!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Scott A,

Working at the Shorebreak is a fun time! Who cannot when we have the beach right outside our door. Being a boutique hotel our rooms do vary in size and layout, next time you come to stay give one of our suites a try, these rooms have a living room area which hopefully will give you the space you need. Our beaches are a great place for fitness and go on for miles for walking/running. There are also free boot camps on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays right on the beach. Hope to see you here again soon.

Boulder
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I just spent two nights at the Shorebreak for a weekend business function that was held at the hotel. If you've stayed at other Joie de Vivre hotels, expect a similar format and experience. The hotel has a great surfing theme that's not over the top. I think they maintain coolness over campiness, which can be hard to do at a hotel that has a clear theme. I particularly loved the Aaron Chang surfing photos in the street level gallery.

I had a decent sized room to myself. Room formats do vary quite a bit (from what I saw and heard). My room was on the 3rd floor, above the restaurant, with busy 5th Street below. I found that the only time it was quiet in my room was early in the morning, and that was only if the person in the room above me wasn't up and about. I appreciated the spacious bathroom with shower and huge tub, but the vanity was a bit small with only one sink. That reminds me, bring your own blow dryer! For a somewhat upscale hotel, it had the worst blow dryer I've ever encountered. There was a small balcony off the room, but it was too small to accomodate any furniture. The bed was very comfortably and cozy.

Valet parking is the only option at the hotel. This is understandable because it's difficult to park in that area and I'm sure parking in the hotel garage is limited. Valet costs $27/night. However, valet was quick and friendly.

I enjoyed the free wine in the lobby in the evenings. I had a glass both nights that I was there.

The food at the restaurant was okay, but there were not a lot of vegetarian options. I had a pizza one night (figs, arugula, apple) that was good. There was food served at the reception and banquet that I attended, but it was nothing special and everything (for vegetarians) had cheese in it. However, I feel like the hotel is very accommodating, so perhaps there's better options for vegetarians available? The vegetarian option at the banquet dinner was particularly disappointing: A HUGE pile of pasta with about 5 pieces of veggies buried in it with lots of cheese and cream. Bleh. Note to all hotel restaurants that cater large functions: Most vegetarians enjoy vegetables for dinner, so consider making a meal centered around veggies and not pasta. I always feel slightly ripped off, but mostly disappointed, when I'm served a huge pile of soggy pasta.

I opted not to have my room cleaned one day and was given a $5 gift card to the restaurant.

There's surfing (and swimming) at the beach across the street, but it's very busy on summer weekends. Because I had one free morning, I went standup paddle boarding, instead, in Newport Beach. I didn't see any standup paddle boarding options in Huntington, but I think that's because it's difficult for beginners to get past the break in Huntington.

This hotel is in the heart of Huntington Beach, so it's very busy and very touristy in the immediate area. I don't think I'd go here to get away from it all, especially with noisy rooms and lack of views on the non-ocean facing side of the hotel. However, the hotel is perfectly comfortable and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I would certainly consider it, again, for a business function (because it has a certain coolness about it), but I wouldn't go there for a vacation.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room on the 4th (top) floor, away from the restaurant, which is on 5th. I've h...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Helen B, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear BoulderJen,

Thanks for all your comments from your recent stay with us, we appreciate the honest feedback. Our surfer theme is throughout but just small touches here and there to keep the vibe going, I am glad that you liked it. We are definitely in the heart of Huntington Beach and if you want to spend time at the beach and our downtown Main St. then this is the place you want to be. I am happy to hear that you were able to get away and do some paddle boarding while you were here, I have yet to try that out but it is on my top 10 list of things to do this year.
As for your comments on our banquet menu I am sorry that you felt that the menu did not cater to vegetarian. We definitely want to cater to all our guests needs and if our staff is aware their will be vegetarians they definitely take this into consideration. When you come back to stay with us again please don’t hesitate to ask any of our staff and we will be happy to accommodate your need for veggies.

Our rooms are very unique and do vary in design and layout, I hope that next time you are on business this way you will join us again.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

For a 4-star hotel, it was average at best. The location is perfect for a beach get-away, but you pay for EVERYTHING and get very little respectful, professional customer service. Rooms are pretty small. Bath tub is great.

We spent just one night at the Shorebreak Hotel. It took a bit of maneuvering to get to the parking lot (going around the block a couple times since the street entrance was blocked off). Once parked and up the elevator to the front desk, I admit I was a bit stressed out. That was just the beginning however. The staff person at the front desk who checked my family in was one of the rudest, most condescending people I’ve encountered. “Stephanie” had little patience and actually held her hand up and snidely said “don’t worry!” I asked about the parking charge vs. valet. Although she told me the valet could retrieve my car, I was not told that the charge would be added to my bill.

Subsequently, we also valeted my daughter’s car. I gave her the $27 valet charge in cash when she left. She paid it to the valet once she got her car and was told nothing. When I went to check out, again with Stephanie, I put a smile on my face and thanked her. I asked her to review the bill and she did, noting that there were 2 valet charges on it. I told her my daughter already paid the valet directly, but she said the charge was already on my bill. So we paid a cool $81 plus tip to park 2 cars for less than 24 hours!

Thanks Stephanie and Valet guy! Way to stick it to your guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Very nice hotel with a fantastic location. The beach is a block away and there is a variety of good choices for food, shopping, and evening activities. The hotel itself is a good size, not too big and pretty easy to navigate. The customer service is helpful and they clearly try to accomodate you as well as possible. The rooms were nothing too crazy but were still great: they were a good size and have a balcony. They also have some cute little surprises in them (i.e. a "riptionary" and a list of survival tips for H.B., etc.). Overall great hotel and would definitely recommend it to a family, couples, or anyone traveling solo to H.B.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Helen B, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Lii_FB,

Thanks for the recommendation! I am glad you enjoyed the little surprises in the rooms, we do like to make those unique touches to our rooms and we are always coming up with new ideas. I hope you followed those survival tips while you were here they are key to great experience here in H.B.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Awesome location, across the street from the beach and literally the closest building to the farmers market that takes place every Friday. Many bars and restaurants nearby, vallet parking, and complimentary wine every evening!! Also very nice rooms and a great patio in the center for reading or cooking smores in a firepit. All in all I highly recommend!

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the beach! Suites have a bath
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Helen B, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Preston L,

I am so glad that you got to enjoy our farmers market while you were here; we are in great location to just hop over there for a browse or buy. As you said our location is ideal with multiple places are accessible is just a short walk. Sounds like you got to enjoy our wine hour and fire pits, two of my favorite services at our hotel. S’mores are the best! They always remind me of my childhood, and aren’t we all still children at heart.

seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week during a business trip I had in Huntington Beach.

The Location:
Perfect. Right by the Pier, the best surfing spot on the beach, and good restaurants all in close walking distance.

The Room:
The room was small. Little closet space. Little space for our bags. The bathroom is strange. The shower is quite large with half of the space unusable. The vanity is tiny with little working space for products. I wish they had used the space more effectively. The bed was comfortable and while we had a garden view room, our bed had a peek-a-boo ocean view. No problems connecting to the wireless internet and the desk by a window was appreciated.

The Restaurant:
As a business person needing to be at meetings starting at 7:00 a.m. every morning, the restaurant and room service missed the mark. Room service and the restaurant were not open for breakfast before I had to leave for my morning meetings. The restaurant for lunch was eventually able to accommodate my gluten and dairy allergies; however, our order was slow, came out incorrectly once, and I only had one option, due to my allergies, on the menu. For a health conscious area, this was disappointing.

Staff:
The staff was friendly and helpful. Valet service was quite and reliable.

Ambiance:
Enjoyed the local feel with many surfing decorations.

Overall:
Based on the other hotel options in the area, I would stay at this hotel again. I had a spa treatment at the Hyatt down the street. The Hyatt is a beautiful property, but not as close to restaurants and the Pier. The Hyatt does offer an early morning breakfast option though. Perhaps the Shorebreak will offer early breakfast in the future?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear craberryAli,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We do have the luxury of being right next to the main attractions of Huntington Beach, such as the pier and Main St. I see that you are from Seattle, I recently moved from there and I really enjoyed my time there. Pikes market and Chocolate Box were two of my favorites to go to in the city.

I am sorry that our restaurant did not have an early breakfast option; I will definitely pass on your comments to our restaurant management team.

I am glad that you had a comfortable room and a bit of a peek-a-boo view of the ocean. Our rooms do range in sizes as we are a boutique hotel and each room is so next time you stay your room could be completely different in size and layout.

Hope to see you at the Shorebreak Hotel again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
#1 of 17 in Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel? Share your experiences!