“A Beach Experience”

Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A very nice and cute hotel with a beach vibe. It is right downtown, 1 block from main on PCH - and there is no other hotel that is this close to all. It has some unique touches throughout, and the rooms are very nice. I had an oceanfront suite with 2 queens. The beds seemed smaller than queens, but were comfortable with nice linens. The bathroom is large with very nice amenities like a huge tub and dual faucet shower. The room was very clean, though small. There is a fridge and nice large flat screen tv's.
Check in was wonderful, the hotel staff is very personable and helpful - one of the nicest things about this place. They offer valet parking, and you can check in your car as early as you like, as well as depart as late as you like in case you want to enjoy the beach etc before getting your room. The restaurant is very nice, the servers are warm and kind, and it is run very well.
This is also a pet hotel. Any dog, breed, size - and there are a lot of guests with dogs. I did not hear any barking, nor were there any issues with it being a pet hotel. They have a dog walk for potty time, or you can go downstairs to some grassy areas on the residential streets. There is also a nice dog beach less than a mile away.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank destinationaddict
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear destinationaddict,

Just wanted to take a few moments and say thank you for posting a review of your stay with us here at Shorebreak. It is nice to know that local Californians like our place too. We appreciate all the positive comments and especially that you took the time to mention that we are a "dog friendly" hotel. It is so important that not only humans have a good stay here, but their furry friends as well. Hope to see you again really soon.

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,174)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is in a wonderful location and super friendly for families, surfers and pets. We are a family of three and had the Junior Suite, it was a perfect size for us. The front desk was very nice and the evening wine tasting was a bonus. The beds were comfortable, the bathrooms huge and location was perfect.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EnaLEnaL
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear EnaLEnaL,

Thank you so much for posting a review of your stay here at Shorebreak. It was an absolute pleasure serving you and your children. It's funny because I hosted our wine hour last night and several guests said the same thing as you about it. Guest LOVE our wine hour. Take care!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed here on business 4/1-3/13 and had a good experience. The room and hotel are clean and have been tastefully decorated in a modern style. The location is great for surfing since it is literally across the street from the pier where the surf competitions are held (so I was told; I saw many people there surfing) and restaurants and shopping are next door. I thought the staff was helpful and people in my group enjoyed the free happy hour from 5:30-6 pm (2 glasses of wine per person).

The only negatives I experienced were that the restaurant was expensive ($15-21 + tip for a basic dish and a glass of milk) and so was parking ($27/ day for valet; but parking is in short supply in the area). I ordered a glass of milk ($4) and a two cheese omelet one morning at the restaurant and should have realized something was up when potatoes were also included on my plate. When the bill came it was $21 and then the waitress told me they don't have a cheese omelet on the menu so she charged me for the closest thing. That and asking three times for some ketchup only to have it arrive for my last two bites make me say look elsewhere for food.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the inner court yard which has fire pits and was fine, but facing the ocean woul...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank theokengineer
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear theokengineer,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We really appreciate comments good or bad, so we have the opportunity to fix them. I am so sorry about the price for parking. As mentioned in past reviews, this is something we cannot dictate because of the city. We do not own our garage, the city runs it. Even if our employees park in the garage, they have to pay.

You can be sure, we will do some training the the morning breakfast staff regarding the service. As for the pricing, we really try to keep our prices in line with the other hotel restaurants in the area. I sure hope that helps you understand a little bit of where our prices come from.

You appreciate the feedback and hope we get a chance in the near future to show you how great our service can be in the restaurant.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Our last stay was terrible. The hotel charged us $250.00 for smoke when no one smoked. I would get the assistant manager to help with the fee. Asked for the manager above him but got hung-up on. Terrible experience!!! probably won't stay there again. The room was very small no view.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Philip_Chang_13
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Philip_Chang_13,

Mr. Chang I am so sorry that you had a challenging experience with us here at Shorebreak. I am typically the one who gets all calls that need to go to a manager and I honestly did not have a message from the front desk or a voicemail from you regarding your incident. It is a priority here to take care of our guests and to ensure everyone has a great stay. As for the smoking fee, we only charge guests who have sufficient evidence of smoking in the room or on the balconies such as cigarette butts or a strong smell. We do not even allow smoking outside in our public areas, so other guests are not disturbed. If you feel strongly at the fact that you did not smoke in the room, please reach out to me via phone and I would be happy to look further into this incident. Please accept my humble apology and hopefully we can speak soon.

Asisstant General Manager

Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Shorebreak Hotel is bright, clean, and airy. This aesthetic extends from the lobby to the rooms. We stayed in a courtyard-facing room on the top floor. It was very quiet. We loved being able to open our room's sliding glass door and get a cool breeze.

The location is perfect - very close to all of the shops, restaurants, the pier, and the beach.

One tip, you can save some money by parking on neighborhood streets as opposed to using hte hotel's valet paring.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 7HeatherS
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear 7HeatherS,

Just wanted to send a quick note and say thank you for spending some time at Shorebreak. I can understand wanting to come out from the east coast to Huntington Beach in the Spring. My extended family is from Salem MA. Just like you coming out in the spring, I love to visit New Englad in the fall, it's so beautiful.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and we sure hope to see you again next spring.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Excellent vibe at this hotel with beautiful landscaping, including sliding doors that lead out to the outdoor garden/sitting area. The staff is attentive and the gym is above average with several different machines and even kettle balls and yoga mats. The hotel features happy hour with complimentary wine, and it's dog friendly hotel. All of that topped with a desirable location and just steps from the beach (and Sancho's Tacos) makes for a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank eMiLy025

Dear eMiLy025,

Sancho's Tacos is one of my favorite lunch spots located right behind the hotel. Thank you for making the trip down from Texas. We really appreciate the kind comments, even about the fitness center. Tell everyone back in Texas about what a great experience you had in Huntington Beach. Much gratitude from all of the staff here at Shorebreak.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel has an excellent location across the street from Huntington Beach Pier. There are a lot of stores for shopping and restaurants in a very close vicinity. The room was very clean and spacious. I want a big shower like that in my house! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cryd827
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear cryd827,

Deepest thanks in regards to your review. I too love our big showers. It can get a little cold though with all the space and no doors. We really appreciate the wonderful comments and I am going to hold you to coming back again J/K. Thanks again for staying at Shorebreak, please come visit us again really soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Pasea Hotel & Spa
Pasea Hotel & Spa
#5 of 21 in Huntington Beach
5 mi away
SpringHill Suites Huntington Beach Orange County
SpringHill Suites Huntington Bea...
#9 of 21 in Huntington Beach
#15 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#5 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel? Share your experiences!