“Can't beat the location; Great staff; Disappointing 2nd visit”

Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Reviewed February 10, 2013

LOVED this hotel when we visited last year. (We had a deal through a promotion they ran last time.) This visit we paid full price & I reserved directly with the hotel -- only to receive an interior courtyard room with a bedroom view of a WALL. Complained and they gave us another room - first door at the entrance to the main floor "back" corridor. (It WAS a terrace room with a partial view of the ocean.) Fortunately, there wasn't much traffic in the hallway, however, we could hear conversations in neighboring rooms pretty clearly, as well as footsteps upstairs. The bathrooms are huge, with giant showers and tubs - although there was pretty bad soap scum behind the faucets on the sink & tub. Someone else commented about the water not being hot enough - we experienced the same.
The location simply can't be beat. Easy access to the beach & tons of bars & restaurants are right outside the front door.

Room Tip: Ask about the view from the room - confirm it's not a wall!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear ColoChick_11 ,

Much appreciation for the feedback you submitted regarding your stay here at Shorebreak. I have already taken the steps to address the noise issues. Please accept my apology regarding the room placement and soap deposits. I can assure you that the staff has been addressed regarding the cleanliness issue around the sink. As far as the room placement goes, it is really based on the room type you book during the reservation process. City/Courtyard View rooms can sometimes be in a corner and that is why they have a lower price point that the water front and partial ocean views. Next time you book, it is a great idea to add a request comment about the view and we will absolutely make sure you get into the right kind of room. We really appreciate the comments and hope to see you again soon.

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,183)

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is certainly the best located hotel in HB--a block from main street and the pier--and nothing else in the area comes close in style and comfort (there are Hilton & Hyatt resorts down the road a bit). We had a full oceanfront view room, and one of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen. The positives: 1) A great staff --very helpful and knowledgeable (when I commented about having to pay $12.95 a night for wireless in a $300+ room, the front desk told me I could get it free by joining the Joy of Life club--which I did); 2) Large, comfortable room; 3) biggest non-spa bathtub I've ever seen in a hotel room; 4) very large, walk in shower; 5) wine reception in the evening; 6) great bar. The negatives (all minor) 1) being charged $12.95 for wireless in a $300+ room (see great staff though); 2) water not hot enough (very subjective I know, but I spend 30-50 nights a year in hotels and I can't remember ever having this problem); 3) bedside lighting so high on the wall we had to stand up to turn it off/on (there may have been a lower switch somewhere but we couldn't find it); 4) dirty window (remember, you're paying for ocean view--sliding doors were OK though); 5) adjacent room noise--not your normal thumps, but a loud screeching when one of my neighbors turned his shower or bath on/off. All in all a very eclectic, stylish hotel with a great atmosphere and location, a great staff, and very nice rooms.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear KKSStLouis,

What excellent honest feedback about our hotel!! Our hotel would not be where it is at without guests like yourself letting us know what we can do better. We as a team appreciate your comments because we can only get better from this. From the internet charge to the bedside lighting, I can assure you we take these things seriously. It was also nice to now that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will admit that our staff is friendly and knowledgable, so it was nice to hear that we recommended the Joy of Life Club in order to get free internet. If you are ever in the area again, please make it a point to come by and say hello.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We arrived on a sat evening after 6 nights in Vegas(getting married) and 3 in LA, and i was excited to be back in Huntington Beach. The hotel is lovely, the staff very friendly and our room(pier view!) was great. We had a long soak in the big spa bath, put our robes on, ordered room service and kicked back. Unfortunately we were so relaxed we were both asleep by 9.30 and didn t make it out at all . On the plus side i was up and out at 7.30 to grab coffee and watch the surfers from the pier, happy days!

Dear Jaff101,

Looks like someone was a little too relaxed in their room. Believe me, there are many people that check in here, use the bathtube, order room service and never leave their room for the weekend. There si absolutely nothing wrong with that. Personally, I am an early riser and love to watch the sun come up with the ocean close by. The water is so calm and peaceful.

Thank you for the kind comments regarding your stay with us. Spread the word about Shorebreak and send some of your countrymen over. Take care!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

The friendliness of the staff really made this place nice. From the folks at the front desk, to the valet parkers, to the maintenance folks I ran into on the elevator, everyone was in great spirits and friendly. I went to Huntington Beach to participate in the marathon, and the hotel had flyers of places that were running meal specials/super bowl parties for the runners, etc. nice touch.

I got one of the cheaper rooms that faced the courtyard, and it was fine - bathroom was huge and clean.

I didn't eat at the restaurant or have room service, so I can't comment on that.

It was pricey, but cheaper than the big-name hotels in the area, and of course - right across the street from the beach - you get what you pay for. I would totally would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear Joshua H,

How did you do in the marathon? The weather here for the marathon weekend was perfect for runners. Warm but a little bit cloudy, so you all were not getting pounded by the sun.

Our staff was so excited when they read your comments about how friendly we are here. This is one area of the hotel we really pride ourselves on. We strive to be so different compared to other hotel's staffs. Thank you so much for the kind comments, it just makes us want to work that much harder for our guests.

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I love everything about this hotel. Great rooms, good bar, GREAT LOCATION! Stay here if you are visiting Southern CA! Make sure to go to the Tuesday Night market too. Great bargains and cool finds. One street over from the hotel on duh, Tuesday night.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank lisarichmondrox

Dear lisarichmondrox,

Just wanted to send a quick thank you out for the review of hour hotel and the mention of the Tuesday night street fair over on main street. There are just so many things going on in HB that people do not know about. It is weeks full of fun and there are so many things to do. Thanks for spending time with us, especially the bar!! Our bloddy mary bar is the best.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great location, so close to everything! I was suprised to get to my room and have the phone flashing red with a message - it was just the front desk welcoming me and making sure I didn't need anything... such a nice touch. I definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you can get an ocean view, it's worth it. Beautiful sunset from room!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear Chicago222,

Have you seen our new hotel inn Chicago yet? Hotel Lincoln is a part of the Joie De Vivre Hotel Collection. I heard the restaurant and bar there is amazing.

Thanks for the quick note and feedback regarding the touch with the welcome calls here at the hotel. It is just way for us to check up on our guests to see how things are going. Much gratitude for the feedback and be sure to visit our hotel up your way.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Loved this hotel, the only reason it didn't get a 5 was because there wasn't much info on the s'mores times and the bar drinks are expensive! Apart from that the place is great the staff are really helpful. Rooms are so comfortable and I loved the bathroom. Visit the shack for breakfast.

Room Tip: Our room looked into the court yard I didn't mind it, no problems.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear EnglandEverton,

Is Everton your favortie EPL football team? Sorry, but had to ask because I am a huge soccer fan. We really appreciate the feedback regarding your stay with us here at Shorebreak. The team posts all tripadvisor comments for all the employees to see. Huntington Beach seems to be a popular destination for the English, so be sure to tell all your friends about us. Take care and thanks again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Pasea Hotel & Spa
Pasea Hotel & Spa
#4 of 21 in Huntington Beach
5 mi away
SpringHill Suites Huntington Beach Orange County
SpringHill Suites Huntington Bea...
#9 of 21 in Huntington Beach
#5 of 23 in Laguna Beach
Huntington Beach Inn
Huntington Beach Inn
#14 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel? Share your experiences!