“Disappointed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hume
Hume Lake Campgrounds
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Hume
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We have been going to Hume Lake for nearly 14 years and our last trip was good until the last day. We had gone in to the store next to the dining room and we saw 2 T-Shirts. It said it was $5 on the shirt. The Man cut the prices off both shirts and told it was going to be $32 plus tax. I challenged him and in fact told him to look in the trash for the labels. He wouldn't budge and told us we didn't have to buy them. The line was getting long and we didn't want to hold it up any longer to cancel the transaction so we got them. We went to the office and the young lady said she would get right on it. As soon as we got to her car she left the building and went and got a soda. Nothing was done. We emailed twice and got a lame excuse both times. You may think it is "only " $20 but it is the principle of the whole thing. We haven't signed up to go again. I guess they don't care if the regulars come back or not.

Room Tip: We always paid more and stayed in the Lodge. (Premium package). There are 4 lodges and they look th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Val S

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Not to be confused with the Christian Camp that first comes to mind when mentioning to your friends you are going there. The campground was surrounded by plenty of trees, but your camping neighbors are still fairly close. All sites are within walking distance to the lake. Camp host was very pleasant. Flush toilets, yeah! Access to the 3 mile loop trail around the lake. Fishing was still pretty good. Trout, crappie and blue gills all biting. Yes, The Cove is really a nice place to go to but just within walking distance to the campground you can snag your own little "beach" with plenty of shade trees and shallow water for the kiddies to play in. The lake is perfect for float tubes, rafts, kayaks canoes etc. Downside at this current moment No campfires due to extreme high fire danger.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank GreenGecko_69
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This review is for Hickory Lodge at Hume Lake Christian Camp.

This is not a campground. And if you go in the summer and expect to be alone in the wilderness, you will be disappointed as during the summer, churches from all over send their kids to this camp for a week of activities. It gets very crowded, so it is just a matter of knowing what you are getting into if you go here during the summer.

My wife and I visited for a few days while our kids were at the camp with our church. We stayed in Hickory Lodge 201. It was very clean. It had a mini fridge and a coffee pot. No a/c, just a ceiling fan. I knew all of this going in and I couldn't have been more pleased with the accomodations. A cleaning crew comes around each day to make up your bed and give you fresh towels.

There are so many things to do there. You can rent a canoe, kayak, row boat or a bike for a small fee. There is also a nice trail around the lake for hikes. The lake and the surrounding area is beautiful.

If you are a guest at one of the lodges, you get breakfast passes for each day to eat in the dining hall. This is pretty much the same food the kids eat. Guests eat upstairs and the kids eat downstairs. You have the option to buy meal tickets to eat lunch and dinner in the dining hall as well, for $10 a day per person. I would recommend looking at the menu before you decide. You can decide on a day by day basis. The food isn't great but it isn't unedible either. A couple of the nice things about the guest dining upstairs is if you aren't real thrilled about what is being served for lunch or dinner, but you have your meal pass to use, they have an "out" upstairs which is a sandwich bar.....basically make a sandwich like you do at Subway. And there is free ice cream to scoop yourself for dessert as well.

If you decide to not eat in the dining hall, you can go to several different places for food. The best would be the Snack Shop where you can get fantastic hamburgers and shakes. The chocolate-peanut butter shake is very good.

Pondy Deli also has very good 7" pizzas.

And if you just want a soft drink, go to the General Store. Their fountain dispenser is cheaper than what you will pay at one of the food places.

Overall, this was a great place to visit for a few days. I am only rating "Very Good" because I think the rooms are a bit overpriced. So it is simply a value thing for me.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Rob909
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Went in spring. Not official season yet. Paid in advance for Black Oak lodging. There was not a coffee pot, or mini refrigerator, or anything that plugged into an outlet, except lights.

Despite the fact that the entire resort seem void of guests, our room overlooked 3 trailers lined up for employees(? not rentals). I saw we were the only guests, because of the 15+ people we saw, they all stared us down with that "you must be lost" look.

Both people we spoke to in reception were quite pleasant. I would recommend Grant Cove (less than 10 miles) and John Muir lodge.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WeLove2hike
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We did not camp at the campgrounds, but actually stayed in their cabins in that area. My daughter and I attended the Hume Lake Mother-Daughter Retreat in May 2012, and it was wonderful! We stayed in their "Standard Housing" cabin, which was rather rustic, but it had the basic amenities (camp-style bunkbeds, electrical outlets and private bathroom). Nicer accomodations would have cost more, so we were fine with "Standard." The food was excellent, and I found myself looking forward to every meal! They had great activities for both kids and adults, and we found that the weekend went by very quickly! I cannot say enough about the service and the excellent quality of the staff-- if you need anything, or have any issue, it will be resolved quickly. For example, we had a little problem with ants in our cabin, and someone came by immediately to take care of it. There is no cell phone service, so tell your boss not to call you when you're there. However, they had wireless at the camp, so if you HAD to answer e-mails, you could do that. We took a nice walk around the lake (about 3 miles), and it was absolutely beautiful. Make sure you bring your camera!

Room Tip: Bring a jacket, even if it's spring or summer. It can get chilly up there. We were there in May...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Myrmyr971
Reviewed August 22, 2012

August 2012. My boyfriend and I were on a camping vacation on the Sequoia Nationa park. We haven't plan or reserved any of the campground we had stop. This was a very nice one. Great temperature - not too cold not too hot, close to the lake (our site had a view on the lake). Very family and pet friendly. First campground with a recycle trash can. No shower, but decent bathroom with a flush tolilet, sink and mirror. The camp host was also very gentle and helpful.
Some noise from he Christian camp on the other side of the lake but not too disturbing. Definately recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SimoCmoe
Reviewed February 16, 2012

It’s been a few years since my Husband and I camped at Hume Lake, but we had a great time. We were camping in my Tent Trailer and were lucky enough to get a spot that was fairly level. The Camp Host was the nicest elderly gentlemen who gave us tips on the best fishing spots and dropped off fire wood every day. We loved it so much we want to return this summer. The bathrooms were clean enough and when we really needed a shower we had to drive quite a way to another camp ground that had pay showers. We did rent row boats for a few bucks at the Christian Camp, ate at their snack bar that was pretty good considering the location and all, we also ate the fish that my husband caught in the lake that was delicious! The camp sites are well shaded, we didn’t see any bears (THANK GOD) and we did see a few deer. If you like to have a fun place to camp that is pretty quiet for the most part this is a good spot to pitch your tent or drop anchor with your RV or trailer.

Room Tip: Check the camp sites if you have a trailer or RV a lot of them are on uneven ground or sloping.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hume Lake Campgrounds? Share your experiences!