“Hawks Nest Bar & Grill - negligent customer service, unclear ordering system”
Review of Sho-Ka-Wah Casino

Ranked #10 of 13 things to do in Hopland
Healdsburg
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Hawks Nest Bar & Grill - negligent customer service, unclear ordering system”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I visited the Hawks Nest Bar & Grill in the Sno Ka Wah Casino last week, to enjoy a promotional offer for a free entree. I arrived at the Hawks Nest, and looked around for a hostess or someone who could tell me what was going on. I hovered at the entry for quite a while, maybe 10 minutes, and nobody took any notice of me. Finally I interrupted the cashier and said "Excuse me, could you please tell me if I should wait to be seated, or just take a seat?" "You have to pay first." she said coldly, and waved to the back of the long line that had formed while I was waiting. Locals seemed to know what to do, but there were no signs and no interested people to tell you if you were new to the restaurant. It was more like a fast food joint than a restaurant, since you paid, then were given a plastic number to take to your table. There was a drink station, but I didn't know if I should get my own or try and get a server. When my meal arrived, the steak was decent, and the baked potato was good. The salad was a handful of iceberg lettuce mix from a bag, and came with no dressing. I had to wave down a server person to get some dressing. It wasn't clear to me who my server was, since various people brought the food, the dressing, and took away my plate. There was a tip jar by the cashier's station, and I wasn't sure if I was expected to tip her, or tip my server (whoever that was.) All in all, a disorganized, unclear system, and very mediocre food. A few signs telling you what to do, and a pleasant, attentive attitude towards the customers would go a long way towards improving the quality of the experience. Now I know somewhat how their bizarre system works, but I'm not willing to waste my time going back. It must be a joint intended for locals only.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank HealdsburgTravelista

United States
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Best breakfast on the block.”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I am not a gambler, so I can't say much about the casino except it's kind of cool-looking from the outside, the people are very friendly and they are most willing to take your money and graciously thank you for it. What I am is a breakfast-out kind of guy who loves to start the day with the smell of bacon and hotcakes and consider myself an expert judge of biscuits and gravy. For those of you who have been searching for b & g to match what you can find at almost any greasy spoon in the deep south, I have disappointing news--it's not here, or anywhere else above the Mason-Dixon line. I don't know what it is--I suspect it's lard, but what we have here in the west (or in the mnidwest, north or northeast) cannot compare to real southern cooking. That said, Sho Ka Wah is the best I have found in the west, and I have been searching since 1964. Other breakfast items are plenty good--eggs in particular are done with a delicacy that seems totally out of place. Prices are ridiculously low--I think they will give you a free breakfast along with ten bucks of free play if you join the club. Coffee is free and not too bad.
The casino is kind of out of the way of everything except the res, but it is worth a visit even if you are not a gambler. This may be the best biscuits and gravy north and west of Lafayette, Louisiana. Try a little taste of heaven. (Warning: expect immediate weight gain, elevated cholesterol and a tendency to say y'all when you mean you all.)

Visited December 2012
2 Thank billyabe
Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Casino in the boonies”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Although you have to drive quite a ways to get to this casino, it is definitely worth the drive once your there. They had drinks and great food. I lost a good $100 but the time spent there was worth it

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Jeff W
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Put the kids to sleep and go here!”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Discovery Inn and drove up here after we put our kids to sleep. Was a short drive but worth it. My wife won about $100 and me, well lets not say. Was a great experience.

Visited June 2012
Fort Myers, FL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A "Gem" of a casino hidden in the hills of Hopland, CA”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My wife and I saw this casino listed in the Northern California directory of Indian casinos, decided to try it out on a New Year's trip to the area. It is a beautiful drive into the country, lots of winding roads and shady lanes and then you come to this little casino hidden away in the hills. We were pleasantly surprised to find the latest slot machines, excellent food service and friendly staff and we had a great time here.

Visited January 2012