“Bad Experience in McKinney Bay Suite”

West Shore Cafe and Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Homewood B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed for two nights in the McKinney Bay Suite and I was extremely disappointed. The "filtered view" of the lake was a big disappointment. The trees are now so overgrown that there is practically no view at all of the lake. The master bedroom has a view of the parking lot and we heard folks coming in late at night. There were also bright lights left on outside my window all night long; and I had to go downstairs during the middle of the night to get someone to turn them off. They did apologize and said that the lights were supposed to be on timers. When I went to rent the kayak, they did not have the children's life jackets, so basically I could not take my kids out on the lake. I spent so much money to stay here; I would definitely never come back. One bright spot -- the restaurant has a wonderful view and we did enjoy our time at dinner.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CA_adventurer_8
Jessica N, Guest Relations Manager at West Shore Cafe and Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Good Morning-
Thank you so much for your feedback. We have responded to your comments and our team is actively trying to improve the items addressed in your feedback. I hope that you would consider staying with us again in the near future. Please request to speak with a manager should you decide to give us another opportunity as we want you to experience a flawless stay like the majority of our patrons experience. It truly is unfortunate that you did not. I apologize and hope we can make it up to you.

Jessica Barton

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We have come here for years and continue to think it is one of the best spots in north lake. Despite recent ownership changes, the food and service were excellent. I recommend the caprese salad, the filet or the skuna bay salmon. Make sure to get a table outside with a view. Depending on time of summer, would recommend an 8pm reservation

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Seaurchineceviche
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just got home from a USA road trip and this place was by far the nicest and most comfortable place we stayed not just on this holiday but ever!. The room was even better than it looked on the website and the attention to detail defies description . Lovely thick woolen carpets (lets face it most hotels have rather worn out thin affairs) really high end furnishings and the biggest TVs I have ever seen in a hotel room. The staff were attentive and so helpful . I loved the Kayaking and haven't stopped boring everyone with how much I enjoyed it. We ate at the restaurant both nights and the food and service was fab. Before I went on holiday my husband asked me for a benchmark 10 out of 10 hotel to compare all others with- until I had been here I didn't have one . In fact I think it probably more than 10 . I loved it so much and really hope I get to go there again one day . A real holiday highlight .

Room Tip: We had the McKinney Bay Suite - not the best view but has a fab Jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trapar
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I actually did not stay there but ate lunch in the deck with a group of friends. A limited, little pricey, but good menu of sandwiches and salads. Great bar with featured drinks. But being on the water with an unobstructed view of Lake Tahoe is worth a little more and will make you high without imbibing!!! The remodeled cafe and inn is about four years old and a great addition to the west shore

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Marlene O
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

My brother-in-law just had his wedding at West Shore. It was absolutely gorgeous, this place is out of a storybook!

The rooms are spectacular. We stayed in the Sugar Pine suite which had a living room, 2 fireplaces, 2 flat screens, 2 amazing bathrooms and 2 balconies with views of the lake. I wish my house looked like this, whoever designed this place sure paid attention to detail. Kudos to you!

If you want to go gambling South Shore is about an hour drive. Driving to the airport is about an hour and a half. There are no direct flights to Reno/Tahoe from NYC, such a huge pain since we were traveling with our 15 month old tornado of a daughter!

We are definitely coming back!!!

Jason & Nicole Alonzo

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I just stayed three nights at this fabulous resort.

The only thing that exceeded the fantastic location and amenities were the truly oustanding people who work there. Friendly, competent and helpful each and every one!

If there were any individual employee to be singled out however, it would have to be Robin at the front desk. She always went way above and beyond what you would expect from a staff member at a resort. She even offered to scrape the ice off of our car windows one morning!

We will definitely recommend this resort on all our advertising (we own rental properties) because of Robin. Just wish we could steal her away to work for us in Hawaii!!!

Sincerely

David and Frances Messer

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TIDELDAVE1
Jessica N, Manager at West Shore Cafe and Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Good Morning Mr. Messer-

Thank you very much for leaving such a wonderful review. We look forward to hosting you in the near future! Please visit our website for promos and events!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at West Shore Inn last weekend with my parents. The rooms are beautiful, the service is great and you can't beat the setting. For the quality and the location, I think this resort is great value.

The suites are very spacious and very well decorated / designed. As soon as I walked in, I felt immediately at home and relaxed. Our suite was on the mountain side. At night, I could hear the groomers working the mountain. It didn't keep me up. I assume the lake side is quieter and will certainly have nicer views.

The lodge is directly across from Homewood Resort, which is more of a "locals" hill. I like Homewood because it has the best views of all the ski resorts in Tahoe (almost all the runs feature views of the lake), it's more affordable and the lines aren't as long. There are plenty of glades runs, although the terrain isn't as challenging as Squaw, which is probably the most built up of all the ski resorts on the North Shore. Squaw is about 20-25 minutes from West Shore Inn.

Tips:

-Skip eating at the restaurant in the inn. It's pretty mediocre. Instead, have happy hour at the inn while the sun is setting over the lake and then head to Truckee (30 minutes away) for dinner. Restaurant Trokay is a real gem
-Check out Emerald Bay. It's about 20 minutes west of the inn. True world class beauty

Room Tip: Lake side is probably quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Homewood
Sunnyside Restaurant and Lodge
#1 of 3 in Homewood
Tamarack Lodge
Tamarack Lodge
#4 of 7 in Tahoe City

Been to West Shore Cafe and Inn? Share your experiences!