“Old, smelly and isolated”

Imperial Palms Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holtville
Sedona, Arizona
“Old, smelly and isolated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

This place needs major renovation. The room we stayed in was not kept up. The carpet was frayed and stained. The bath tub was also stained.There is a big agricultural area right next to the place and the surrounding air smelled like manure. On one side the rooms face the agricultural area; on the other side the golf course. Neither side is quiet because you hear either farm machinery or lawn mowers starting early in the morning.We arrived at night and had trouble finding the office. It is not well lit or marked.The only good things about this motel, which does not deserve to be called a resort, are the price and the fact that they allow dogs. If you're traveling with your dog, the rooms are perfect for this purpose.

Room Tip: Facing the golf course is probably better than facing the parking lot and agricultural area.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Diego, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stay here whenever I visit relatives. I like the fact that it is quiet, very dog friendly and isn't priced bad. I usually book a red-eye special, which is a late night check-in. They are slowly renovating rooms. This last time I did get an older room. The carpets were old, the wall paper was peeling in places and the bathroom could use a little love. However, there are times I have had a nicer room.

When I travel with my dog they always give me a ground floor room where he can walk out the sliding glass door to the grass. Sometimes other dogs are out as well and they can play for a bit. I usually do a walk around the golf course and sometimes the fields with him. If I had to rate on dog friendliness, I would say an easy 5 stars. That means more to me than having updated décor.

The Sunday brunch is delicious! (You can sit outside with your dog and eat.) It is a separate cost, but it is reasonably priced. It is served buffet style. The free breakfast is served in a Hospitality Suite. It is very, very basic. There is a TV in the breakfast room and they provide newspapers. I usually get my food and head outside to eat with my dog. They have little benches and picnic tables outside the rooms. The weather is great off season, and it is nice to sit outside in the evening.

Here's the thing. It is an older resort. It is in a small town where things aren't what you would expect in a city. I would say it is quaint, not grand. I've visited this area my whole life, so I know not too expect too much. However, I have never felt unsafe or ripped off when I stay here. The price matches the cost. We even slept on the ground floor with the sliding glass door open. (It has a screen.) The next time I visit overnight, I'll stay here again. The staff is friendly, it is away from any noise, and my dog loves it. That's good enough for me at the price they charge.

Room Tip: Book by calling and ask if they having any of the renovated rooms available. If you are traveling w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chelsea G
Long Beach, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was scared after reading the Yelp reviews, but when I walked in the lobby and restaurant, I was pleasantly surprised. The bar staff was pleasant and attentive.

The front desk was having some problems with the load of guests and new reservation software, but they did what they could do.

The rooms were in desperate need of an overhaul, some in my party had no working showers. Made them into grumpy guests...our room was adequate for a hunting trip, but about on par that of a Motel 6 or Super 8.

TWO stars for the room...I will re-review after the next trip to see if they improved.
THREE stars for restaurant, bar and over all value

Room Tip: Next to office/convention center may be most convenient. West side would be way too hot!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TahmiJoh
Redlands, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at Barbara Worth because of a death in the family. This time of year is the hottest and when we checked in we noticed the a/c wasn't cooling very well. We brought it to the attention of the staff and they virtually bent over backwards to accommodate us. It has been a long time since we have that type of customer service and I don't think WE'VE had any better ever! The property has recently been taken over by New owners after being empty for approximately 5 years. Although the rooms are not extravagant they have done a lot of work in a short time. We will definitely be back to show are gratitude.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Greg H
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

There is a dirty path worn in the carpet on the floor of our room. That should be the first clue. We checked into room and the air conditioner didn't work. The gal at the front desk claimed "it worked last night."

The staff here sucks. They aren't willing to help. The rooms are dirty. The a/c's in the rooms don't work. They don't even have a working ice machine or a snack machine. There pool is empty. There are bugs everywhere. The rooms look as nasty as the hallway does. My advice, don't even think of staying here. The place truly needs to be shut down.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Luta511

Travelers are raving about these Holtville hotels

New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

BWR is located a couple of miles from I 8 between Yuma & San Diego in the heart of the Imperial Valley ,about 3 miles west of Holtville. Very pet friendly!! One of the owners runs a feral cat capture & neuter programme. The furnishings are a bit dated, but I like the retro look. What's imortant is that it's very,very clean, the rooms are old fashioned spacious, the beds are all new & comfy, even for my cranky back, & the staff are small town friendly & helpful. Unpretentious ,but interesting. There is a fine bar-Caddies ,very good bar food & great happy hour prices. There is also a dining room,Field's with wonderful prime rib. Rates are very reasonable, $59 & up, suites available. There are special long term rates. There is even a full kitchen for guests to use. It is quiet & peaceful(except at lively Caddies),no interstate noise here. The grounds are lovely, palm trees, a nice green golf course & interesting agricultural land, where, at the right time , you can see all the amazing farming activity. Imperial Valley is so interesting with agriculture, geothermal plants, solar arrays(biggest in the world ), & wind farms, all within a few miles . There is also the spooky Salton Sea, the Anza Borrego Desert CA State Park with it's wildflowers in spring. Holtville has a carrot festival every year , a genuine bit of Americana. There is a public hot spring on BLM land 7 miles east of Holtville where you can soak for free.The famous Blue Angels winter nearby & have a yearly air show. You can also visit Mexico from here.It's perfect for a winter visit,no snow here. You may meet interesting visitors from all over. And, oh yes, an 18 hole golf course.
Phone: 760.356.5800 www.barbaraworthcountryclub.com.

Room Tip: A room with the windows facing east viewing the golf course avoids the baking of the western sun.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

My room was spacious and clean. The furnishings and tube television were strictly early 1980's. It was quiet and peaceful, but the property is surrounded by agricultural fields and it is far away from restaurants in town. Service was very friendly. At $90 for a weeknight this hotel is overpriced, and except for having a golf course and a (drained) swimming pool, this is is hardly a "resort" nor does it resemble a "country club" as the sign says.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank MarkoLA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holtville
Fairfield Inn & Suites El Centro
BEST WESTERN PLUS Main Street Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#1 of 1 in Westmorland

Been to Imperial Palms Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!