“Leal Vineyard”

The Grove at Leal Vineyard
Ranked #26 of 83 Restaurants in Hollister
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I couldn't find Leal Winery on Trip Advisor, so I'll go through their restaurant.

I don't know where to start. I have read all the reviews and it seems all the negative ones were for weddings at the Leal vineyard, so I can't comment on that. I am 71 years old, very happily married and don't need another wedding, so my review is for the wine only.

I first tasted Leal wines many years ago when they did a promotion at a San Diego Padres game. We really liked the wine and purchased several bottles. Since then, I have joined Club Leal, Club Leal Gold and Club Leal Platinum. I now receive 12 bottles quarterly, but I buy much more in between the quarterly shipments. We think the Leal wines are THE BEST in the world. We are red wine freaks but our white wine friends tell us how much they LOVE the Leal whites.

Here is the neat part. I stopped in at Leal about four years ago when I was on a "quick trip" for business. I ranted and raved about my love for Leal wines and how we drank nothing else. The Leal person (I have no clue to her name) told me that I have "house mouth" - meaning that I compare every wine to Leal and that I shouldn't do that. I should enjoy other wines also, without comparing them to Leal. How neat was that!! - she said her wines were great but there are other good ones too! Very classy - drink my wines but try others. That alone makes Leal a class act.

So we try all the others and I admit I still have "house mouth". I (we) compare everything to Leal and the others always lose - LEAL is soooooo far superior. I just purchased two more cases of the 2008 Carnaval, one of my all time favorites. Not being a "rich guy", I save our Godsend (I buy futures every year) for special occasions and that always gets rave reviews.

In closing, I am a Leal "freak". If my wife didn't occasionally smack me on the head, I could probably survive on Leal reds and cheese, but she forces me to eat real food. We are going to visit Leal very soon. My wife will be very impressed. I may need to rent a truck when we leave.

Leal is the best. I wish I could give 10 stars.

2  Thank 7bogey7

Reviewed August 15, 2013

It was the perfect Saturday night for us..our first time at the Grove and well worth the short back roads drive from Gilroy. We were a bit taken back by the counter service; but after all, it made perfect sense. Whether you come for dinner, drinks or the music, you can have it "your way."

I ordered the blackened shrimp and creamy polenta and it was served in a cast-iron like pot on a wooden trivet. And I just had to taste the deep fried cauliflower served with my husband's slider sampler, which he said were each different and equally delicious. Of course, dinner was topped off with a Leal chard while my hubby enjoyed his Bud Light though other brews looked tempting.

The wait staff was very attentive, but never overbearing, lighting space heaters, bringing us our food and condiments and checking in every so often. What I enjoyed most was the feeling we had traveled "far away from it all", eating, drinking and enjoying the spectacular ambience (gorgeous white-light lit olive trees, bocce ball courts, spacious outdoor dining with space heating close by) a really new concept for this area. We've told our friends all about it, and we are confident they will enjoy the delicious food, great wines and lovely surroundings as much as we did!

3  Thank vickicampy