“Awful; stay away from this place”
Review of La Sosta Enoteca - CLOSED

La Sosta Enoteca
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 27th Street
Description: La Sosta means the resting place. Located at “the five points” in Hermosa Beach California, we offer our guests exactly that- a place to experience fine Italian food in a familiar way while indulging in the pleasures of authentic tastes and welcoming atmosphere. We cook from our memories and from our hearts.
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had my 30th B-Day dinner here on March 6th. I thought this might have been one of those small restaurant unique finds. I was very much wrong and was hating every minute of it. My wife looked at the expression on my face, and she said I looked like I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. She was right.

1. The place has horrible acoustics, so every sound reflects throughout the room and makes it sound 10x louder. It was very noisy and made the experience not good. The place was completely full this night. I could see the ambiance being okay with just a few couples there and the service might have been better.

2. Service was very slow and not responsive. Water refills were far between. At a restaurant of this level you have high expectations. Took over 20 minutes just to get the check. They don't have a computer system for table checks; everything is done manually.

3. The server offered a starting appetizer of a meat/cheese tray. We thought that would be a good idea. The meat/cheese tray was good; but he didn't mention the price. When we got the bill; it was $80 for the five of us. Granted; I should have checked; but never expected anything higher than 30-40. $80 plus tip/tax is absurd. The waiter should have warned us about that. This is not listed on the menu anywhere.

4. The portions were very small. When I received my plate; I wanted to ask where is the rest of it. The food quality was average to below average. As someone else mentioned; it is over salted. The vegetables were just sliced carrot slivers with no special cooking to them. I've eaten at plenty of high priced places; and walked out feeling I got my money worth. Here I felt like we were robbed.

5. The bathroom was like a gas station bathroom. It had a leak in the ceiling; and to close the door you have to lift the door upwards for the latch to go across.... This was a $400+ meal.

Not sure how anyone could have given this place a good review; but hopefully I can at least save one couple from wasting their money. We will not be back.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Wine list is a poor value (mediocre $60 Nebbiolo), and the crowded bistro-style ambience is very noisy. Overall food quality would be a good value at half the price.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Start to finish just wonderful. The restaurant is lit by candle light and feels more European than SoCal. Started with board of mixed meats and cheeses honey and yummy dust of some sort, memory fails. Home made bread looked nice. We all shared two starters: Italian salad which was dressed in a gorgeous mustard dressing and shrimp on polenta also amazing. For the mains we traveled around the menu: rack of lamb- best I've ever had, pasta with lobster- very nice, scallops in the shell- sweet and tasty, salt cod- it was, well, salty. Complimentary poached pears and dessert wine finished off everything perfectly. A special thank you to our waiter who was chirpy and cheerful. Can't recommend this place enough.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

When I first saw the menu, it looked different. No red sauces!! What kind of Italian is this ... it was fantastic. I had the special pasta dish which was homemade fettuccine with salmon, a "touch" of cream, and caviar. It was incredible -- much better than I had even hoped for. After dinner we were given some mini cream puffs with chocolate sauce. Amazing!! Excellent food and service.

1  Thank SoCalGirlSouthBay_CA
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Luca Manderino, the owner, greets everyone Italian style...enthusiastic kisses on both cheeks ... and I am reminded that this is the way neighborhood restaurants are suppose to be. Warm, friendly, with the ever attentive host who is genuinely interested in making your dining experience memorable. Wine...or in our case, prosecco is poured...And then the food comes...the cutting board is an experience that is all together marvelous. After Luca explains the various cheeses and Italian cured meats that are presented to us in a gorgeous arrangement on a rustic wooden board, I dive into the Spek, and the Pancetta and the Gorgonzola/Mascarpone blend. Each is paired with either a truffled honey or a spicy jelly or other delights. Every morsel is pure heaven. And then come the pastas and/or the entree's. Yum! And the home made desserts are just he way italians do it best...light...well....except for the profiteroles...which are divine. We ended with a perfect cup of espesso macchiato. A fabulous meal in a great little location inside a cozy spot where the candle light glows and the white curtains flutter in the ocean breeze. Aaaaaahhhh....