“Locals hidden favorite”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Located off the beaten track in a mostly residential area. There is a small dining room and a rooftop deck accessed by stairs inside the restaurant. Fantastic salsa and chips arrive at your table right away and get refilled as much as you want. Food is reasonably priced and portions are good sized. Very family friendly and usually easy to get into. They have their own catering trucks so you can do a very reasonable mexican feast at your next party. Also great for take out. The chicken soup is a favorite. I marked a 5 star for special occasions just for a large group dinner with friends - reasonable with good drinks

There are newer reviews for El Gringo Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This isn't a fancy place. Locals stop in on their way to and from the beach or just as a place to grab a good burrito and a glass of beer. There are always families as well as friends sharing quick bite.

I can't tell you how many times we're out driving around and end up here. It's really comfortable and friendly.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This place has been in this spot for a very long time and every local has eaten here at some point. A block from the beach makes it convenient whether you are heading to the sand or heading home for the day. It is absolutely casual. So casual you would expect it to have cheap prices however this is no longer the case. The food is good but expect to pay more for taco rice & beans( and all other combos) than you would at most other mexican restaurants. Its still regular old mexican food so why the prices are this high I am not sure. Parking is non existent unless you are lucky enough to find a metered spot(add a few more $ to your meal). Our server was very friendly and efficient and we did not have to wait long for our lunch to arrive.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I love the carnitas and the chicken soup but everything is good.
The place is a comfortable place to just drop in. Near the beach, 1/2 block.

Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Take quarters for the meter. There is only metered parking available. Know where you're going. This is an area full of one way streets.

The rooftop deck was closed, which was a letdown.

Friendly waitress.

My machaca burrito didn't have much machaca. It was mostly cold, raw onions and lukewarm rice.

The burritos are huge, but they charge $2.50 to split a plate, so I didn't bother having my kids share one. I am usually a big eater and I ate about half a burrito. Unlike "the most interesting man in the world" who has never filled up on chips... I did fill up on their delicious chips and salsa.

Tamales and tacos a la carte are about $5 each. Kind of small.

Can't beat the location. I noticed 2 for 1 margaritas on Mondays, 2 for 1 tacos on Tuesdays, 2 for 1 sangria on Wednesday, and a Tahitian bottled beer in the cooler that I need to go back and try.

Even though it isn't anything to write to Bobby Flay about, I can see it being a regular stop before or after the beach.