“This is the perfect Chili Verde!”
Review of La Playita

La Playita
Ranked #2 of 137 Restaurants in Hermosa Beach
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2012

On a whim my wife and I decided to eat small and local in Hermosa Beach during our postponed anniversary trip out of town. Using Trip Advisor we found this wonderful little spot right near the beach and a short drive or walk from our hotel. It was exactly what we expected. Small, quiet and friendly. We met an old hippie that eats there at least 3 times a week. That was a good sign right off the bat. It a small but special menu, which I like over a place with a huge selection. That means to me that they do what they do better than a place with a staff stretch to thin and incompetent.
After eating a ton of chips (unsalted thank goodness) and some wonderful Salsa, my wife went with the Cheese Enchiladas which she loved. I choose the Chile Verde Plate. The beans were whole Pintos and could have been cooked with a ham bone for some more flavor. Just a little bland. The rice was tasty and moist, which is hard to get at most fast places. The star of the meal for me was the Chili Verde. This is a proper Chili Verde with big chunks of pork and an amazing sauce. I'll be honest in saying the beans and rice didn't live up to the Chili Verde. I would have been much happier with it in a big bowl with the tortilla on the side. Maybe with a little butter on it. It was perfect. Tons of flavor without not being so spicy that it covered up the flavor. If you get a chance to go enjoy every bite. You will wished you lived close by, so you could be a regular like the old hippie. I do!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I used to live around the corner from this place and always loved it. 15 years later I went back with my family and - wow! same sauce, same flavors, still quaint and cute patio.This is definately mexican food, so those you don't like it must be used to pseudo mexican (california mex) I loved it! Wonderful time eating here again. Service great.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We came here with our kids. Sat outside. Nice view of beach but the patio was dirty and cluttered. The chips and salsa was average at best. I ordered fajitas. Only got 2 small tortillas. Overall food was not any better than average.

We won't be back.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was my second time here, with different people. We have new La Playita fans whom are on board. The plates are very complete, you get a little bit of everything. Plus, we get chips and home-made salsa. Nothing I can say more than: DELiCIOUS!!!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had the breakfast burrito at La Playita. It was perhaps the best I have ever had. The coffee was also excellent. Also, the service was very friendly.