“Great Hotel, Great Location”

Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Hermosa Beach
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised at the spacious room. The free breakfast in the morning is excellent. The front desk staff was more than helpful. I visit the South Bay area often and from now on, this is where I will stay every time. Walking distance to restaurants/beaches, both piers (Redondo and Hermosa). Compared to the other hotels near the beach (and I've stayed at almost all of them) this one is the best deal, especially for the price.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
hiehb, Marketing Coordinator at Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2011

Thank you for the sincere review. We are very glad that you found our hotel to be the ideal lodging accommodation for your visits to the South Bay area. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to spend time at the local beaches/restaurants. We try our best to make sure our guests thoroughly enjoy their time here. You are welcome back to our hotel any time. We hope to see you again soon.

Best Wishes,
Vivian Chen
Marketing Coordinator, Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach

Reviewed March 25, 2011

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Hermosa on a package from SW Airlines. I was looking for beach accessabilty, but not too far (or close) from downtown LA. My wife and I travelled with our 11 and 8 year old boys. The kids loved this hotel for the indoor/outdoor pool. The service was great and the breakfasts were simple, but more than satisfactory for the inclusive price. We walked to Hermosa/Redondo beaches, but enjoyed Manhatten beach (10 mins car/ 25 mins beach bike ride)the best. Thi hotel is mainly used by business travellers, but we enjoyed the emptiness during the day for he pool.
The only negatives I would bring up would be that the neighborhood is very local/commercial and we saw a bar confrontation across te street when we arrived late at night on St. Patrick's day. Also, there are no golf courses around for several miles, so I had to drive 25 mins. to play golf.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for the sincere review. We are happy to hear that your children enjoyed the swimming facilities. We are also glad to learn that you found your stay here satisfactory for the price. Redondo, Hermosa, and Manhattan Beach are adjacent to each other, but all have different "vibes" and we are happy that you got to experience all three. Unfortunately, because of the hotel's location being so close to the beach, many local travelers do tend to take advantage of the nearby bars/restaurants on holidays, which may have caused the confrontational behavior your family witnessed on St. Patrick's Day. We apologize for their unruly behavior and hope that you will not hold that against us when choosing a hotel the next time you visit the area. Thank you for the honest comments and we hope to have you as a guest again.

Best Wishes,
Vivian Chen
Marketing Coordinator, Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach

Reviewed January 20, 2011

Just your average Holiday Inn Express, which is to say, it's average in almost everyway. The location is good, a few blocks off Hermosa Beach and close to the Redondo Beach Pier. Service was very friendly.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I stayed here in early November. The website listed ocean view rooms which I reserved, but when I arrived was told there was a new building constructed next door that blocks the views...takes a lot longer to build a building than to update a website! So then I asked for a room near the elevator, the clerk said no problem, but when I got upstairs, my room was 3/4 of the way down a long hall from the elevator. The rooms were old, I did have a patio door and deck but the lock was questionable. It was cold, very old tv. The lobby is very nicely done, but the rest of the hotel doesn't reflect it. Perhaps the new remodel will make a difference. i got the best service when I realized I had left my crocs behind and they packed them up and mailed them to me. I'd have to check trip advisor after the remodel to decide if its worth trying again. The price was $150/nite.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2010

we went to the Holiday Inn thinking that we were going to get a good deal. They had rooms available, even though the receptionist told us otherwise. He gave us a handicapped room, We asked him several times to change it, and he said NO. Needless to say, we are staying at the Crown Plazas in Redondo Beach.

The receptionist was NOT nice.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank subachoque
williambill, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2011

We were sold out most of time during summer. The guest made a reservation for a wheelchair access room, even though we still had a suite available. Guest did not book suite because the price is higher.
Guest was asking for free upgrade to suite when she came to our hotel. We told the guest that the free upgrade was not available and that there would be a price increase if she wanted to upgrade to suite. Guest was not willing to pay for the difference and asked us to cancel the reservation.
We have honored the reservation for the room type requested by the guest at the time of booking. Unfortunately we cannot issue free upgrade when we are going to be sold out. We even offered some discount as a courtesy if guest wanted to upgrade, but guest refused. We also waived the cancellation fee when guest asked to cancel the reservation.
We always try to provide our best quality and services for our valuable guest, but we need to get enough revenue to support that. We hope the guest can understand why we can’t give a free upgrade.

Reviewed September 6, 2010

It is a very nice hotel for the price in a great location. It's a fairly easy and pleasant walk down to Redondo Beach and the many restaurants and activities along the ocean. The nearly complete renovations are quite well done. I've seen many older hotels that have had poor renovations (like plastic/fiberglass bathtub and shower inserts) but not here. Parking was great. No complaints about the breakfast either, there was something for everyone's tastes. My only complaint is that the pool is described as "indoor" and it is only partially indoor. One entire side wall of the pool area is made of open screen cement block (like they used to have all over the front of Caesar's Palace) . The problem was that chilly ocean wind was whipping into the room when we visited making it quite cold and unpleasant there even though the pool temperature was itself fairly warm. Basically, when that wind is blowing, you freeze when you get out. Inasmuch as the indoor pool was my primary criterion for selecting this hotel, I felt a bit deceived when I arrived, but since everything else about the hotel and its location was so much better than expected, it did not bother me too much and I did not register any complaints. I just wished I had known beforehand, as I would have reserved elsewhere. But if the indoor pool is not an important issue for you, you can't go wrong staying here. It's a great value. As a side note, having a CVS on the next block was really convenient and dinner at the nearby and very popular Cheesecake Factory down by the beach was surprisingly very enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2010

This hotel was a great choice for us. It is good value, clean and new looking and in a good location. The staff were very polite and helpful, the rooms are spacious with micro and fridge and parking is free (unlike some places round here that I've seen reviewed). They also provide a free, hot buffet breakfast.

It is only about 7 miles from LAX (about $30 by taxi). Hermosa Beach is gorgeous and you can walk to it in about 10 mins but it's all uphill coming back which may be a problem for some. Car hire is pretty reasonable though and well worth it to see more of the area.

I can't say anything bad about this hotel and I'd be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
The Redondo Beach Hotel
The Redondo Beach Hotel
#2 of 19 in Redondo Beach

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach? Share your experiences!