“Adequate”

Days Inn Hemet
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Hemet
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Trip: A drive from Arizona to California
Quick, low-budget, get the "flock" out of the heat & have a little fun.

Main destination: Fallbrook, CA -- Welburn Gourd Farm (for monthly free gourd crafting workshop, held 2nd Saturday of each month)

Online searching didn't yield many low-cost lodging options in Fallbrook, and since I had been satisfied with my last stay at America's Best Value Inn (see my Winslow, AZ review), I checked my ABVI lodging directory again this time.

ABVI listed two properties within reasonable distance. I chose Hemet, which was more on my direct route, and rated higher in the directory (four checks to Escondido's two). Hemet also boasted the Western Science Center Museum (cool exhibits, although definitely smaller than expected) -- along with an easy (and fairly scenic) drive to Temecula's Wine Country (I hit the Baily Vineyard for a perfect lunch of pesto-stuffed ravioli, along with a tasting for dessert -- do NOT skip the Port! It is awesome enough to drink naked.... ;p ) .

Back to the ABVI, though. It's immediately clear this is an older property that has probably worn several other chain signs during its lifetime. Current management has added fresh paint inside and out, the bathroom seemed to have seen a fairly recent tile and fixture update.

Room was very clean. Plenty of pressure, hot water, everything worked fine. A couple iron burns on the carpet, guess you can't force folks to use the provided ironing board.

Although the property exterior looked tidy, the sidewalks were sticky (I guess people like to spill???), the advertised spa was inoperative, and the pool was....green. (blea -- no swimming for this girl, this trip! And I was so ready for it, too!)

Bed on the firm side, but room reasonably quiet for having main street through town just outside. I slept fine. Girls at the front desk seemed okay with answering questions. Couldn't vouch for wifi, didn't use.

But the continental breakfast? Well, they didn't even unlock the breakfast room until half an hour PAST the 7 a.m. time posted on the sign. Wish I had just hit Starbuck's across the street, because it sure wasn't worth waiting for -- coffee with generic powdered creamer, fake juice (Sunny-D), some kind of prepackaged vending-machine type sweet rolls, cereal -- but no milk (????) . Good thing I still had some road food!

All in all, it was hardly what I'd expect from a property rated "among the best" in the chain's guidebook. If this had been my first ABVI experience, I'd probably rip up the Value Card.

Note to ABVI directory -- PLEASE do not rate properties like this as 4 checkmarks! I'd give this one a 2 as reviewed. Or 3 if they could get the spa working, the pool clean, breakfast room open on time (or coffeemakers in the room at least) and offering ANYTHING decent.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ltaz

Reviewed March 2, 2010

We were visiting family in Hemet CA and picked this property based on its location in relation to where the people we were visiting lived, plus it did have some decent reviews so even with the bad reviews factored in I figured that opinions are subjective and somebody just wound up with a bad room, now I think it was probably the same room we got. We would have been better off driving a little farther or paying a little more, next year we will. To start with, when we were checking in the clerk put us in an upstairs room. Since they have no elevator and with our luggage and since I have been having a little trouble with my right knee, I asked if we could have a downstairs room. This seemed to put the clerk in a quandary as she tried three times to get a room selected, keep in mind this was a Thursday, and the place was almost empty. We wound up in a room in the back corner which would have been OK, except..................
First impression was the carpet was filthy, with stains in several places, the dresser, one of those long low ones common in motels, had its decorative header board hanging on by a single screw. Should have checked out right then but we were only staying one night and had planned on spending more time visiting than in the room so decided to stick it out, bad choice as the bed was so bad we both woke up with aching backs, but next morning was the real eye opener, when the wife was taking a shower, she grabbed the little bottle of shampoo that was in the soap holder in the shower, good thing we don't steal the little bottles from motel rooms, this one was EMPTY, not as in forgotten to be filled by the factory, but as in USED and not replaced, since I was out of the room at the time, she was not happy washing her hair with soap.
The room was only $60 but here is a case where you don't even get what you pay for, oh and don't over stay. Check out is 11AM and they charge by the half hour if your not out on time, so make sure your watch works.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobnv
Reviewed January 21, 2010

The outside was very clean and attractive. The desk clerk was very friendly. When we got to our room, it wasn't fancy but we thought it would be okay. My husband went into the bathroom and it was ready dirty. He used one of their washcloths and cleaned it before he would it. We ended up staying there the two nights I had reserved, but will never stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2009

I was looking for a quick overnight retreat away from LA. I didn't want to spend a lot of money so I went for the best rate I could find. I read the reviews on the hotel and thought I would give it a try. I found the hotel easily and was greeted by a friendly face when I checked in. The check in was quick and efficent with a promise that if I needed anything someone would be at the desk to help. My room was a large room with a king bed, couch and coffe table (great for my laptop), fridge and microwave and a nice bathroom. There wasn't much in the way of amenities, but I didn't expect much for only $45.00 per night. The room was clean and the bed was great! The a/c worked perfectly and although it was a smoking room, it still smelled clean and fresh. This hotel was perfect for my little one night getaway. When I checked out the next morning the girls at the front desk (mom & daughter I believe) were very helpful in giving me information about the town of Hemet. I spent the rest of the day just driving arount the lake and taking in the different sights of the area. All in all I give this little hotel 4 stars!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank sunsetsue
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I enjoyed my stay here. We had huge room, relaxing pool, fast wi-fi access, and its right next door to a Mexican restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank david633
Reviewed March 4, 2008

We had made our reservations for this motel because other reviews were positive, but it was with fear and trembling (well, not really) that we checked in. We were pleased that the room seemed clean, despite the dated furnishings and some peeling wallpaper near the sink. Although it's located on the main drag through town, we never heard any street noise in our room. The bed was firm and comfortable. The faucets in the sink were very noisy and squeaky whenever we used them, but it was manageable. We had decided that it was a good enough place to stay for an occasional trip to the area, UNTIL we got up in the morning to find that there was NO hot water, in the sink or in the shower! A revolting development, to say the least. At check-out time,(which was earlier than our usual since we couldn't clean up) not only did the manager/
owner (East Indian) refuse to make any adjustment to our bill because of the inconvenience, he scolded my husband for not calling the office so he could come and show us "how to turn on the hot water"! Because we don't know how?? Next time we'll head down the road a ways and hope we have better luck somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed January 25, 2008

This was a nice motel in a small town. The rooms were clean and very big. The staff was all friendly. The pool looked really nice but I didn't go swimming. It was next to a mexican restaurant, but I didn't eat there so I cannot tell you anything about it. There was a small breakfast room next to the lobby that had coffee and stuff. Also it was close to most of the businesses in town (I was in Hemet for business), so it was very convenient. I would definitely come back here (it was pretty cheap, I actually got a better rate than hotels.com when I called).

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sublmnl40