See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 20, 2015 via mobile

To reach this place you need to walk 1,5 hour from the village of Rambala to the Jungle Lodge. (If you don't want to walk you can take a taxi but it's a nice walk, so put on your hiking shoes!)
In the jungle you will find three nice cabins and the main area, all build by the owner himself.
We went horsebackriding and saw some tucans, sloths, frogs and the scenery was lovely.
If you are interested you can go for a nightwalk and see what kind of animals get active after dark.
There is a chance to see snakes, spiders and scorpions. To escape the hot weather you can take a dip in one of the many nice swimmingholes that are near.
This was the best stay of our holidays and the closest to nature you can get.
We hope we can come back here sometime.

Date of stay: September 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bennnnnn
Reviewed April 12, 2015

I loved my stay at Rambala Lodge! Everyone was so nice and hospitable and the location is gorgeous. My favorite part was having a stream right outside my lodge so I could fall asleep listening to it.
I came here on a trip with my herpetology class and we were able to find many beautiful reptiles and amphibians. Often I would find anoles running around in our bathroom and shower and even got to see them display a few times. This is also a great place for observing sloths.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank Morgan C
angelfinder, Owner at Rambala Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2015

Thanks for visiting and come back again. In the meantime tell your friends in Holland about us please.

Reviewed April 6, 2015

We have been to many locations in Panama but this is clearly one of the most unique. Eric and Lynn have done a terrific job in creating a remote and very unique experience. You can swim in a river waterhole surrounded by a magnificent jungle landscape as well as hike and find very unique dart frogs, lizards and plants. We had the most unique experience of being on site when a mother Sloth dropped its new born baby and watched as it was introduced back to the mother.
A beautiful setting and wonderful experience.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank LarryMichigan
Reviewed April 6, 2015

Carl Sagan once said "The planet is teaming with life"…..and there is no better place to see it than at Rambala Jungle Lodge. Every minute of our three days was filled with the wonders of nature unfolding before our eyes. The extensive Ramabla Jungle Lodge trail system winds through thick jungle filled with frogs, lizards, sloths, and a wide variety of birds. Plant & animal life abound with every step. Along the river and surrounding the cabins are an amazing number of bird species, including colorful toucans and a huge variety of hummingbirds. On our first day, a baby sloth was born and we were privileged to see the early relationship of mom/baby develop, simply amazing. There are many "eco-lodges" in Central America but it is rare to find one that is truly 100% eco-friendly, eco-aware, eco-sensitive and eco-protective. Rambala Jungle Lodge top notch in the eco department, enhancing and protecting the amazing bio-diversity that exists on the property. There is simply no better eco-lodge experience. Lyn, Eric and their small staff are to be commended for their hard work and dedication, their exceptional service and knowledge and for welcoming guests so graciously to a fabulous experience.

Room tip: There are just 3 cabins and any one of them are an excellent choice.
Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank Cathy102345
Reviewed March 30, 2015

We were here for our herpetology trip for a few days and it tops my list of places to stay in Panama. I've been to this country a year ago for a tropical biology class and we stayed at a few places.

We had to hike a trail to reach the lodge, a moderate hike. Make sure to bring rain boots because the trail can get muddy after it rains. The lot that the lodge is on is tucked in a hillside. There are a few cabins that dot the hillside with the main lodge near the top. It was so green and trees are all around. If you are lucky you may see a toucan or even a sloth in the surrounding trees. A group of us stayed in the Kinkajou cabin and saw a few sloths across the stream in the trees! It was the best experience ever! Definitely bring binoculars. The cabin was open with bunk beds and mosquito nets were provided. There was a composting toilet and a shower as well. Handmade soaps and even bug repellent were waiting for us.

There are trails around the lodge that you can hike during the day. The food there was so delicious we didn't miss a meal. Lyn and Eric were so friendly and took care of the groups needs. For me it was a little cool at night and Lyn gave me an extra blanket to use. Ask Eric about birds and other animals that you are curious about. Sometimes you can hear sloths whistle during the day.

What I liked about this lodge was the fact that they were eco-friendly. The buildings are all made of wood and the surrounding rain forest is kept pristine and undisturbed. This means animals are more likely to be seen and heard during the day. The water is collected from rain water. Food was bought locally and helped out the community. Another cool thing they had was horseback riding. The horses were borrowed from surrounding farms and their owners were paid as well, the cost was $35. I had some experience riding horses in NM so it was a fun ride. Javier was our local guide and he was very friendly and talked to us, even though our Spanish was limited.

I never liked the usual hotels and resorts that you see along main roads in Panama. Why would you want to go to another country and stay a place that is groomed to look like home?

This was such a wonderful place. If I ever get a chance to visit Panama again I would definitely book a stay here! If you love nature and adventure stay at Rambala Jungle Lodge.

Make sure to bring: rain boots, flashlight, binoculars, and a camera!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends