“Very Nice Tuscan Rooms - Beware of Front Office Staff”

Best Western Dry Creek Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Healdsburg
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times; most recently November 2011. This time they had a very good rate on the Tuscan Suite Rooms; I prepaid using the internet rate; it does not however include the Tax which is a surprise at the end.

I had a first floor Tuscan Suite. The room is nice with a nice bath, small shower, double sinks, fireplace, nice chair to sit on; comfortable king size bed; and patio.

What is nice about the patio is that it gives you easy access to the outdoor jacuzzi and steam showers - a few steps from my room. I used them daily and found them very nice.

Breakfast is nice with make your own waffles; juice, coffee, cereal, yogurt, hard boiled eggs; breakfast sandwiches, coffee/tea and more. Its very nice. The housekeeping staff, breakfast staff, and maintenance/gardening staff are very nice and make for a nice stay.

The grounds are very nice; there is a swimming pool also there. There is also an outdoor fire at night; fountains; nice places to sit. I have been there before for a party, and the party room and service was also nice.

Now - the low light - Front office staff is NOT customer service oriented and does not care if you have a good time on the property; luckily you do not need to deal with them after you get working keys for your room.)

On my initial check in all went well - i.e it was not the most friendly check-in but ok. I got my two room key cards and was happily on my way. They did not offer to provide any additional information; they mentioned wine coupons on their web site but made no effort to ask you would like them; they are not service oriented. Oh, well, I am on my way to my room - happy, ready to check in and relax after a long drive.

Since I had stayed in many Best Westerns in October 2011, I even grabbed my bags from the car. Alas, both my room key cards did not work at all- I had lugged my bags to my room for nothing. I have had this happen before and generally the front office staff is so nice about immediately taking care of you when you return so quickly to the front office. I usually think - its not their fault; computers sometimes just have a mind of their own. So I happily reutrned to the front office; expecting to be helped.

They did nothing but stare at me - I tried to let them politely know about the card keys - they stone faced checked in 4 parties. I tried to ask about the keys - and the guy started hassling me big time. "Hey you - You have to be quiet till we ask you to speak."

25 minutes went by - I tried a couple of other times to get their attention, but the girl and boy refused to listen.

Finally there was no one else in the office.

I told them my keys did not work. They STARED at me; STARED. I let them know I just wanted two working keys. They said nothing; no "I'm sorry your keys did not work - let me get you these 2". They grunted. They then went crazy - and started to verbally abuse me.
The girl did make me 2 new room keys and finally started to be a bit nicer asking if I wanted the maintenance staff to meet me at my room. I let her know I'd let her know but was willing to try out the new set of room entrance keys first.

The guy continued to hassle me both at the office and also when I returned to my car to get my bags; he is very mean spirited.

I am a Best Western Frequent Stay Customer - never in a million years would I have expected such horrible treatment. Although I was verbally abused, I wished him a good evening. I have never ever seen such bad service in my entire life at a hotel. Its sad given that I am frequent traveler and generally give the hotel staff very high marks for service.

I also like Best Western Healdsburg and am a repeat customer. Hopefully they will return to being more customer service oriented.

Hopefully you get working room card keys when you check in - and do ask if you want the wine tasting coupons as front office staff can vary. (Note: I do not know if all the front staff is bad - but the two I dealt with - were.) So sad; hope they learn customer service is important.

But alas this Best Western front staff has major league customer service problems. Ugh!

But - if you are patient; are ok with being abused; the rest of the stay was absolutely amazing.

Room Tip: Smile at front office staff as they are not very friendly Ask if you want the wine coupons as they...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mini
Write a ReviewReviews (2,087)

Reviewed November 2, 2011

Great location and the new building is awesome. Large room! The front desk even gave us a ton of coupons for free for wine tastings.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jbrown1525
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Ok so pulling up is not the best first impression - you are going past a gas station and a slightly revamped restaurant; in the "far" building, we had a Tuscan room on the first floor; I normally get creeped out by motel like set ups, but walking into the room, the layout was very smart - I particularly liked how our jet jacuzzi tub had plantation shutters that opened into the room or closed for privacy, and that the only other "window" to the outside walkway was a small opaque glass in the toilet/shower room, also with plantation shutters. King size bed, flat screen tv, lounge chair and gas fireplace - all very nice and then our balcony opened onto the plaza where it met the outdoor jacuzzi. It certainly felt like an oasis. It is walkable into town (but, hey didn't you bring or rent a car anyway?) but we used it as a base to bike the three valleys. The front desk was overly accomodating when our bikes were delivered to the hotel, as they held them overnight for our pick up the next day, then took them back the evening before our departure. The breakfast was ok, the room just doesn't feel very put together - food is on 3 different walls, but it is basically the same continental as you would get anywhere. If you are fine in a Hampton Inn or Residence Inn, this is a great place to try. If you are looking for the Four Seasons, well, you probably aren't the target audience!

Room Tip: Choose the Tuscan and the ones along the far back (we were in 420) are up to their Krug conference c...
1  Thank Michele W
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed 3 nights over Halloween weekend. It's a Best Western. We were in the "old" section. The room was clean, bed was comfortable, paint was fresh, fairly updated. Everything worked save for the shower head (low pressure as it was not flipping over from the faucet properly). All entry ways are external. We did not hear any street noise but were awakened one morning by someone's dog barking as they passed by our door. Breakfast was ok - breads, cereal, waffles, breakfast sandwiches, boiled eggs, and the like. Staff was friendly. Good location close to the highway and town. Decent price for Healdsburg.

Now, the part I did not like. I travel a lot and book a lot of hotel rooms. I generally know when I'm choosing a pre-pay option. I made this reservation and had no idea it was pre-pay until I saw the charge on my card a short while later. Then, at check out, you are charged the sales tax; they apparently charge that later. It was very odd, and I really didn't like it. Makes you feel like you are charged twice.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We took advantage of a Travelzoo special that included a Tuscan room with a jet tub, fireplace, access to the courtyard, and complimentary wine tasting at four local vineyards at less than $75 per night tax included!!! A PHENOMENAL package that seems too good to be true at first glance, but is, indeed, all that it is advertised. The motel is located close to the highway on a quiet backstreet that allows an easy drive to downtown without the hubbub of traffic and quick entrance to the expressway. The town is exciting and interesting, plus is in the heart of wine country. The breakfast is the typical continental fare but filling and conveniently accessible. This is a great place to enjoy the wine country! (Just a tip---go north into the Anderson Valley for REAL wine tasting as it was in the "good old days." The vineyards are small and quaint, the tasting is FREE, and the crowds are non-existent. Highway 128 is a bit winding and twisty but the views are stunning and the atmosphere is relaxed. We went to Sonoma afterwards because we heard that Napa was crazy and were very disappointed---the big, corporate type wineries were nothing like Anderson Valley, especially Husch Vineyard. We aren't wine experts and we bought several bottles of affordable, good tasting wines.)

Room Tip: We liked the first floor near the end. It seemed very quiet and peaceful.
1  Thank broncoboy66
Reviewed October 31, 2011

As others have commented, this is a basic, budget hotel with a nice staff but little in the way of beauty, character, or great amenities.

Whenever I travel to a hotel or motel and it still has an old tube TV set, not a flatscreen, it tells me the place hasn't been remodeled in at least a few years, and this Best Western fits the bill completely. It could be a lot nicer if they remodeled the rooms in the main (and what looked to be older) building.

The room itself was a pretty nice size, came with a wardrobe (no closet), and was almost totally clean. The back corner by the desk was a little dirty, but not bad.

The complimentary breakfast was pretty good--make your own waffles, microwaveable breakfast sandwiches, cereals, and fruits.

Probably the biggest drawback, and this has also been mentioned by others, is that this hotel is one where the guests come back drunk late at night. On a Friday night, it was noisy at times.

The other experience I should mention is the "gym" was just awful: two treadmills, one elliptical, one bike, and some Bowflex-type machine (no free weights). On top of that, the treadmill I used shouldn't have been in service. Several buttons were broken and the machine actually gave me an electrical shock a couple times! I informed the front desk, and I assume they took care of it.

Overall, if price point is your main concern, this motel might be a good fit for you. It served our purposes, but if I return to Healdsburg, I'll probably stay somewhere a little nicer looking.

2  Thank Ben_from_Brooklyn
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Good value play for Healdsburg. Town is about a mile from the hotel and walkable (there are sidewalks all the way). The rooms are big and the beds comfortable. Room has a weird 70s vibe though. But who cares - you are in Healdsburg, you shouldn't be hanging in your hotel room. Nice pool and fireplace.

Only downside is that it is noisy like most Best Westerns.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Healdsburg
H2 Hotel
Honor Mansion, A Wine Country Resort
The Duchamp Healdsburg
The Duchamp Healdsburg
#7 of 9 in Healdsburg

Been to Best Western Dry Creek Inn? Share your experiences!