“Difficult to Rate - Food Excellent; Service Weak”

Costeaux French Bakery
Ranked #1 of 5 Dessert in Healdsburg
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: A Healdsburg establishment since 1923, Costeaux French Bakery serves as a destination for residents, wine country enthusiasts & international visitors. Visit the open-air cafe for breakfast, lunch, or stop in for world class fresh-baked breads. Over the years, Costeaux has been honored with Sonoma County Harvest Fair Best of Show Professional French & Specialty Bread awards. Come visit our French-inspired cafe bakery & consider us for your next event. Inquire about special event catering, check out our breakfast & lunch menus. We also have a private meeting room for up to six guests. Be sure to eye our famous dessert case or browse our wedding cake book.
Reviewed August 3, 2014

My wife and I were there on a Wednesday morning two weeks ago. When we arrived, there were only a few people there. Service was fast and our preliminary orders were taken quickly. We were joined within about 15 minutes by three other members of our family. However, within that short time, the place got busy with people seated inside and outside. It appeared there were two servers available.

So, let's sort this out by food and service. First, the food is simply divine. I started with fresh orange juice and it was the best of the whole trip. When I found out they had mimosas, I ordered one and thought it was great. I had french toast and it was almost too much to eat. Well, it was so good, I managed. Others had different pastries and thought they were the best they have had in a long time. They do run out of pastries so get there early and, if seated, make sure your order goes to the bakery before they sell out to the "take-out" crowd.

Second, service started out great. He didn't have many tables to handle. Our three additional family that arrived didn't find the service satisfactory at all. One had to get up to get the silverware (we had bought some pastries for them ahead of their arrival). The remaining breakfast and juice were seriously delayed. He had a table of five sit on the patio and a couple of groups inside. His focus was on the new arrivals and not us. The second server seemed to have to handle far less than he did. Just before leaving, we did notice a third server arrived and that might have helped with the poor service. But, by that time, we had worn out and were anxious to get on the way to the wineries.

So, food was excellent. Service was average (started out excellent and ended poor. Thus, my overall rating of "Very Good". Would we go back on our next trip? Absolutely. But, we will judge our expectations on the traffic within Costeaux on our arrival. Remember, if the service is slow, you might want to visit the bakery side and get your pastries immediately before they are gone.

1  Thank MAC3844

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Great pastries and desserts. Egg breakfast items just okay. Eggs Benedict were a bit overcooked and the sausage was not appealing.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

So clearly this is mainly a French bakery/cafe on the main thoroughfare of Healdsburg. We sat with a friend at an outdoor table in the covered entrance area to the cafe. It was pleasant sitting there, watching the world go by, which is the correct attitude here as the pace of service is fairly relaxed. My hubby liked his duck salad just fine, but I'm telling you that I had the best tuna melt ever here. It's not necessarily the item you look for at a French bakery, but their combo of tuna salad and melted cheddar cheese (NOT processed American) on their own homemade English muffin bread was just perfection as far as these things go. There was the proper tuna salad to bread ratio (I hate it when diners pile up the tuna salad too much), the cheese was melted and mild with just a slight zing, and the bread had the great texture of an English muffin yet was pliable and contributed its own flavor to the sandwich. This tuna melt should come up in Wikipedia as a definition for "lunch."

We weren't hungry enough to stay for pastries, unfortunately. Our friend that was with us had instructions from his girlfriend to bring her back some sort of apple turnover or pastry, but surprising for a French bakery, they had no apple items. I noticed that inside they were selling a local olive oil that we had liked a couple of years ago, though.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was there around holiday season, so maybe they just had a lot more goodies on display, but I don't think I have ever seen so much wonderful baked goods, maybe in Europe. Their signature bread is superb.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

One of the best lunches I've had in a while. The bread has to be experienced to be believed. You really can't describe it, they do it very, very well.

I had a French dip. Meat was perfect and I found I like it better without dipping it. It was perfect just the way it was. Wife got the PB&J, and a PB&J gourmet, she was really pleased.

One thing that other reviewers has mentioned is true. The service is slow. Since we were on vacation, it wasn't really a problem for us. I could see how somebody could get upset, but we came for the food and weren't disappointed.