“Best hotel around!”

Hotel Les Mars, Relais & Chateaux
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Healdsburg
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel is hands down amazing! The staff goes the extra mile for their guests, lead by Ramon who is a great asset to this hotel. The hotel is a 1800 french themed hotel from the artwork to the bed frames. The wine and cheese at 6pm is a great way for guests to get together. This hotel is owned by the owner of Chalk Hill Wineries, go on the tour!!! We had such a nice time! The beds in the hotel make you not want to leave, the breakfast is wheeled in at your time of choosing. We had a huge bathroom with a nice walk in shower. We had the standard room with a fireplace which is the kicker!!!

I know some people say this hotel isn't worth 625 per night (but I have no idea what would be), I would agree with that statment, but it is more like 400 dollars a night.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Les Mars is a lovely small hotel. It is certainly a good choice for during the week in Jan. when the rates are substantially reduced, there are very few guests in the hotel, car gets parked right in front of hotel. At rack rates, I think it makes sense to consider several other good choices in Healdsburg. The Estate. King with fireplace, whirlpool tub, high ceilings is an excellent room. Location probably doesn't matter much b/c there is no view. There is construction on the side street but that should be over soon. I'd have some concern about second floor rooms facing front once the restaurant opens.

1  Thank sjlm
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Everyone was wonderful at Hotel Les Mars. From start to finish they treated us so well. The room was gorgeous and comfortable. It was easily one of our best vacations ever. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This place is over the top. They had the fireplace going in the room and music playing in the background. A beautiful canopied bed with the most comfortable bedding. Sheets like silk. This hotel is located right in the heart of downtown Healdsburg.

Ramon (I think he is the general manager) was very helpful with tips on wineries and restaurants. He made a reservation at "BarnDiva" for us. A great place within walking distance.

The hotel delivers a continental breakfast in the morning with fresh fruit and pastries.AND, even better, had Belgian chocolates on pillow at night. Jeez, what more can you want? We will go back!

2  Thank cliffview12
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I felt pampered to the max by this lovely Relais & Chateaux property in downtown Healdsburg. The staff was unfailingly attentive in a quiet, non-stuffy way. The room was luxuriously furnished with a four poster bed and curtains, wonderful satin drapes that seemed more old world European than Californian. Our bed was the most comfortable experience of my life. The linens felt like satin. Every tiny little detail was first class. My husband, who doesn't feel the allure of luxury like I do, is in the background, waxing eloquently about how beautiful this property is.

1  Thank avidtraveler1946
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband selected this hotel for a get-a-way in celebration of our 20th wedding anniversary. Boy, did he do well! This boutique hotel of 16 rooms was built in 2005 but looks like a charming old building that had been recently restored. The original owners wanted to build a hotel that emulated some of the best hotels in France and they certainly did achieve that! The hotel is warm, inviting and intimate in a very comfortable and luxurious manner. The staff is exceptionally well trained and from the moment you arrive to your departure you are extraordinarily cared for. They are welcoming and accommodating in every way from parking your car to offering you bottles of Voss water, to printing out directions, to making restaurant reservations, all done in a friendly, unpretentious manner. The General Manager Ramon is charming and ever present, insuring that your stay is perfect in every way. He hosts a wine and cheese reception in the evening with local vintners in the lobby salon. Our room, located on the 3rd floor and overlooking the street below could not have been more perfect! It was the perfect size, the 4 Poster Bed was super comfortable with wonderful, high-thread-count sheets and down comforter. There was a gas fireplace in the room operated with the flick of a switch, a Nespresso Coffee Machine, a jetted tub and lovely rain shower in the bath, fresh roses in the room & bath and every other amenity one could ever want. They left complimentary chocolates on the pillow, surprised us with champagne & chocolate dipped strawberries for our anniversary and gave us a complimentary bottle of Chalk Hill wine in the room. The in-suite Continental Breakfast was included with the room and was delicious. What more could one ask for?

The current owner of the hotel also owns Chalk Hill winery. My husband purchased a package from the hotel that included our lovely suite, a private tour of the Chalk Hill Winery and a six course tasting menu dinner at Chef Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen. A young and enthusiastic Jason toured us around the Chalk Hill vineyards in their Hummer and then poured us tastings of $150.00 wines. We were so impressed we joined the wine club.

Dry Creek Kitchen was also EXCEPTIONAL. Every morsel of the six courses was perfection. The atmosphere was comfortable, the service impeccable and it was entertaining getting to watch our meal being prepared as the chefs worked in full view of the diners behind a slightly screened wall of glass.

Healdsburg was also super charming. We have been to Napa many times and decided to venture into the Sanoma wine country this time. What a great choice that was! No crowds, no traffic and equally if not more beautiful countryside than Napa Valley. The charming village of Healdsburg is built Spanish style around a lovely square and park. The shops are delightful and all within an easy walk of our hotel.

I cannot wait to return to this beautiful part of California!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CeliaAB
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I will admit to being a B&B snob. I've come to expect a certain level of service: I expect my hosts to be experts on the surrounding area, I expect my every need to be taken care of with a smile, I expect rooms that are luxurious and that don't look like they were decorated by my Grandma (no offense, Grandma), and I expect little extras and amenities not found at big box hotels. Hotel Les Mars did not disappoint.

Even before we arrived we felt well attended to. My calls and emails to the hotel were always answered promptly, by Ramon himself. When we arrived at the hotel and were parking our car on a side street, a hotel employee that just happened to be walking by stopped to cheerfully offer to assist us with our luggage. That level of service set the tone for our whole stay; anything we asked for was quickly and cheerfully provided.

Things that we loved about the hotel:
- The location, in downtown Healdsburg is perfect. We parked our car upon arrival and didn't think about again until we left.
- The hotel took care of my car for me, including moving it to avoid parking tickets. Upon check-in, they told me that if I left my car key with them, they would assume responsibility for any parking tickets during my stay. Love this!
- The evening wine & cheese receptions were excellent. Different wines and cheeses featured every night; one night the winemaker was there to do the tasting. The wines were excellent; we ended up buying two bottles.
- I like just paying a daily service fee and not having to deal with paying for every little thing separately. I also like not having to figure out who to tip, how much to tip, and how to break a $20.
- The staff was very knowledgeable about the local area and was happy to provide suggestions of places to go, etc.
- We loved the four-poster bed and the gas fireplace. We also loved the spacious bathroom and that the shower was separate from the large soaking tub.
- Some nice amenities in the room: free bottled water (Voss!), a half-bottle of chardonnay, robes, slippers (in size small for me and size large for my SO).
- I love hotels that still provide chocolate with turn-down service.

Breakfast was simple but nice. We both liked the granola and I thought the yogurt was excellent (my SO would have preferred something sweeter). It was served promptly at the time we requested and we appreciated that they offer an extended window during which it can be served. We aren't early-birds, so we were thankful not to have to get up at 8 AM for breakfast. Our only complaint was that the coffee could have been hotter and it might have been nice to have just a little more of it (note however, that there is a coffee maker in the room, if this is a big issue for you).

We had in-room massages during our stay and we both felt that the massages were above average. I wasn't sure about the in-room aspect, but it ended up being nice not to have to go anywhere after our massage was over.

Room Tip: We loved our Mansion King room. It was very large, the four-poster king bed felt huge and luxurious...