“Great place to dine! Fantastic food, service, atmosphere!”
Review of Chalkboard

Chalkboard
Ranked #9 of 101 Restaurants in Healdsburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Healdsburg Avenue
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ate here on a Tuesday night on the advice of our Inn near Forestville. Chalkboard did not disappoint! The atmosphere is relaxed and casual. We loved being able to see the hubbub in he kitchen. We ordered 5 dishes plus a dessert between the two of us. We had the crab tots, the chipotle corn, duck confit mac and cheese and the chicken tacos. They were all good, my fav was the corn! And the Candy bar dessert was unbelievable. Wine list was great as well! Can't say enough good things about this place for a casual night out!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Our group was somewhat divided on this place. Half liked it (myself included) and half were not so impressed. It comes down to whether you like the small plates/tapas approach or not. Those of us who do tend to like places like this, while those who do not will not understand its virtues. But the bottom line is that every dish we tasted was very good and the menu was fairly creative. The space was extremely comfortable and looked great. It was fairly new when we ate there and I'm guessing that it will only get better.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I ate at the recently opened Chalkboard our first night in Healdsburg and loved it so much, we cancelled the reservation we had at another restaurant our last night, just so we could experience more of chef Shane McAnelly's fresh, fabulous and highly creative fare.

The first night we got our feet wet with the pork belly sliders served on fresh tiny homemade biscuits, the salmon crudo topped with a dot of some sort of curry mustardy mayo, the freshly grilled corn cut off the cob served with a dollop of chipotle sauce on the side and a bit of white cheese with a squeeze of freshly grilled lime, seared tuna and the scallops over risotto cakes. The portions were perfectly suited to experiencing several dishes during the course of the meal. The "candy bar dessert" was delicious but reco sharing it unless you can take down such a rich dessert yourself. I opted for the tin roof sundae flavored ice cream which they offered in 1 or 2 scoops. The wine list was well organized and had great choices at all price points, including a few from our favorite local wineries. Service was friendly and quick. And the energy is very positive...you feel instantly happier sitting down in this lively and lovely setting.

Our second visit we revisited the pork belly sliders, scallops and grilled corn...but experimented with the dungeness crab tater tots, gulf shrimp crudo, and chicken tacos and were not disappointed. Dessert was a wonderfully light and 'deconstructed' cheescake ( highly recommend!)... while my husband opted for the tin roof sundae scoops! Our server, Becca, and manager, Sean, were super friendly and accommodating. Again, great energy!

Insider tip #1: if you can't bear to leave Fido at home and/or are a group of 4 wanting to dine alfresco, request table #70 ... The restaurants sole outside table.

Insider tip #2: book now! This restaurant is not to be missed!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Casual atmosphere, but attractive decor. Service was prompt, friendly, and eager, but lacking some polish (ask about the chalkboard specials if your server doesn't mention them); our server also didn't know the cheeses on the plate. Nice selection of not-really-so-small plates. Sliders were great, rabbit pasta was delicious (but watch for bones). Cheese plate was a great value, with substantial portions of 6 cheeses for $24. Unfortunately, the restaurant was full, the crowd boisterous, and the walls reflective - it was too loud for any conversation at our table. I actually had to leave hurriedly to relieve my headache.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I went with a group of 14 friends to Chalkboard and we had a fabulous time. We ordered a lot of food and got to taste a wide variety of culinary delights. The wine list has a lot of good wines at all price points so you can have a wonderful meal dining on small plates with lovely wines. This is a great place to go with a group since the menu has a lot of variety and it's fun to share and try new things.