“Tranquility” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Healdsburg
san antonio
“Tranquility”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2006

We loved Duchamp. My wife and I had wanted to stay at Hotel Healdsburg but they were booked. I stumbled across Duchamp here at Trip Advisor ( hopefully the next Access Guide and Fodor's will write them up). Looks like we won't get to try that other place as next time we come we will return to Duchamp. We stayed there on a weekend and it was so peaceful and quiet; I felt like I was out in the countryside. I noticed the previous review about traffic noise,etc. Absolutely none of that during our weekend. The entire facility was just perfect. Syd and Dallas were oh so helpful with everything. The location is perfect too - just off the main town square. After hitting the wineries all day, we returned each afternoon/early eve. to soak in the outdoor spa. That was heaven! I could go on, but you get the picture.

• Liked — appearance, comfort
  • Disliked — window a.c. unit
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ddavis130

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2006

The beautiful minimal decor of this hotel with it's occasional witty surrealist touches, really appealed to us. It was luxurious and modern without being fussy or ostentatious (if only more hotels had this sort of aesthetic, and not the ubiquitous twee Victoriana style which seems to dominate most of the little hotels in this country.) This small scale of this hotel, with only 6 'cottages', makes this hotel a very personal experience and at times it can even feel like one's own private holiday home!
The breakfast were simple and delicious serving a beautiful array of fresh fruit, granola, scrumptious pastries, with lovely gourmet touches, like a platter of goat cheese and dates.
Sid, the hotel manager, was incredibly friendly and warm, with lots of helpful tips on the local restaurant scene, wineries etc.
The only thing that disappointed me is that I wanted a totally peaceful get-away, but was surprised to find it quite noisy with the perpetual moan of the freeway traffic and nearby construction work - living in LA something I really wanted to escape from! It has to be remembered that this hotel, while a serene and peaceful little oasis in itself, is not a rural retreat - it is still in the heart of town (albeit a smallish town) and unfortunately the outlying traffic noises seem to be amplified here.
It is very similar in feel to our very favourite little desert getaway, Hope Springs in Desert Hot Springs, thoughwe found it to be significantly more expensive..

• Liked — The minimal decor and exquisite aesthetics, the service, the attention to detail, the breakfast, the freedom to come and go as you please....
  • Disliked — Noisy traffic background noise, the rooms can get quite stuffy at night with little cross ventilation and very noisy air conditioners!
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring ear plugs for daytime snoozes!
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank alienhen
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2006

My wife, Laura, and I were in Sonoma for our honeymoon. Thankfully, we chose just the right place to stay. While the October weather was the worst in the valley's 10-year history (according to some winery folks) we still had a lovely time staying here.

The rooms? Impeccable. Each room, there are only six, is it's own little house/bungalow. This all makes for perfect privacy--especially since the hotel is just off the main thoroughfare and not on it (like Le Mars and Hotel Healdsburg).

The aesthetic of the place is artful—as the name is based on the artist Marcel Duchamp and his idea of “readymade” (that is, everyday things can be art, too; like the bottle-drying rack in a display case at the hotel entrance). The room was very clean and modern (without being cold). In fact, each room has a miniature "wood-burning" (gas) stove to warm up on cool nights. The bathroom was huge and well-equipped. The bed and linen were so extraordinary that we didn't want to get up in the morning—we only rose because the breakfast served in the "main house" was beautiful (you can even make a tray and bring it back to your room for more privacy).

What makes this place the most special is the service. Sid, the manager, was so attentive that he was more of a friend to us while we were there. He even called us before our stay to see if he could book any winery tours, spa services, or dinner reservations. He wrote us out directions, arranged for the best massage we've ever had, etc. He's just a very special part of the experience. I promised him I'd post some candid pics, too, because what I've seen on this site doesn't do the place justice.

Put simply—this hotel is an inviting work of art. So here's to you, Sid. Thanks again. We'll be back next year for our anniversary.

-Todd and Laura

• Liked — the privacy and service
  • Disliked — that we had to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — call well in advance, take Sid up on arranging dinner reservations, massages, etc.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank tbeeby
Chicago,IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2006

This is a very unique hotel_ very small, friendly and all about personal service.
Private bungalows for a peaceful, romantic stay.
It is privacy with attention to details and service.

A special thanks goes to Sid, the managing director of the property. He is the person behind the excellent hospitality.

This is one of those places you want to stay a secret.

Ron Wu

• Liked — small size and sevice
  • Disliked — All was puuuurfect
  • Tips/Secrets — Plan to stay extra days_ you will fall in love with the place
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
6 Thank ronwu
Macungie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2006

My girlfriend and I, later during the vacation becoming my fiancee, recently stayed at the Duchamp. We had an absolutely fantastic time. Quaint 6 cottage property.

We had multiple flight delays on the way out and arrived 10 hrs late. We notified the staff of our delay and they were able to graciously help us with our arrival plans. Upon our arrival we we amazed with the property and our fabulous cottage. It was just what we needed after 20 hrs of travel!

The next morning we woke to an excellent breakfast. The coffee, blueberry scones, goat cheese and date, granola, etc were fabulous. We actually have tried to find product of similar quality back home and have not been able. Fresh squeezed OJ too.

The rooms are very modern. Polished concrete floors, plush white linens, oversize sofa, flat panel TV, full tile bathrooms with stainless countertops, large walk-in doorless shower, Aveda bath products. Everything had a place.

The staff were overall helpful. Some were friendly, and others just minded their own business and went about their work. Regarding some other reviews here on the site, this really is NOT a place for "needy" people or the high maintenance type. What you see is what you get. Basically, aesthetically pleasing grounds with a centralized pool, awesome modern well kept individual cottages, and the best continental breakfast ever! Quiet and unintrusive too.

We are already planning our next trip back to the Duchamp!!!

Regrading Healdsburg, we liked it a lot more than Sonoma and Napa. Less people. Better wineries, and most are free tastings.
Napa is about 1 hour drive.

You must try Cyrus while in town. The service and food are excellent, and it's on the corner next to Duchamp.

Thanks for a great stay.

• Liked — Modern. Secluded feel.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cyclingdoc
new york, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2006

This hotel was spectacular! The furnishings, and the over-all style of the hotel, was very posh and hip. Not only was it a fun, interesting place to stay, but also the management was incredibly helpful, warm, and friendly. I highly recommend staying at this elegant, hip hotel.

Stayed June 2006
3 Thank tmr10023
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2006

I'd like to start this by saying I stayed at the Duchamp twice before and very much enjoyed my stay. It's a beautiful space - great modern design.

However, I recently booked a room at the Duchamp for my 40th Birthday. I invited friends from across the country to join me and we ended up together at the Duchamp - in all 6 cottages.

Upon check in and quite randomly, we were told not to move any of the furniture because the owner "doesn't like that". Later that afternoon, I asked if they would leave 12 small plates and forks out on a cafe table so that after dinner I could serve cake to my friends also staying there. I was told no, that they only have so many plates and that the housekeeper would have to come in early to clean them and continental breakfast would be delayed. I told her, as it was our group staying there, we didn't mind if the breakfast was late or we would be happy to wash them ourselves. I asked if she would check with the owner and was told that the owner said no, but that I could walk down the street and buy paper plates if I liked.

This was not the first cold response me or my guests had been given.

The next day, while sitting by the pool, I outdoor noticed speakers outside the lobby. I asked the woman at the desk if she would mind turning on the speakers. She said she didn't know how. I asked if there was anyone else on property that perhaps did. She said no. I asked her if she would call the owner to ask, and without turning around from her chair, she said no - he's hosting a dinner party and I don't want to disturb him. It was 3:30 in the afternoon. All this transpired without her ever turning to face me.

Frustrated, I asked for further clarification. I explained that I suggested the Duchamp to my friends staying there - we were spending well over $6000 that weekend - and that I was embarrassed at the total lack of service and extremely unfriendly attitude we had received.

She told me they "didn't like groups" and that the owner teaches them to be "aloof" to guests - that if she were to be freindly, the requests would never end. She said several guests had already made requests of her and that she was busy returning emails and doing bookeeping work - we were imposing on her time. She went on to tell me that my friends rooms were filthy, which they were not, and that none of the guests bothered to buy any of the wine that the owner had "thoughtfully" put out for sale. I explained that we were all spending a considerable amount of money to be there and that the service did not match the expectation or the room rate. She told me that's what all the hotels cost and it didn't matter to her as they were booked for the rest of the season, anyway. She went on to say this is a part-time job for her and that she wasn't here to serve us.

The conversation devolved from there and I left the office in a state of utter shock.

I have to add that my friends are very thoughtful, well traveled and professional people- one is a food writer for a major newspaper, another heads a major arts organization, another runs a PR firm, another heads HR for a major technology company, etc - we were nothing but gracious guests.

I was shocked and embarrassed at the way we were treated. Recommending the Duchamp is a mistake I will not make again.

• Stayed June 2006
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
57 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, owner at Duchamp Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2006
Duchamp is an attractive and highly styled property offering overnight accomodations to people who cherish what we have to offer.We also are constantly approached to book our property for all sorts of special events. Most people offer to pay additional fees for such uses but some feel that renting all our cottages entitles them to use our propertty to any extent they like.Therefore we have long ago instituted a policy of not accepting reservations that book our facility for one parties use.If the reviewer would have been clear about his intention of having a Birthday celebration he never would have gotten a reservation. Instead all cottages were booked intentionally by individual parties without us having knowledge that this was one group.It is very unfortunate and regrettable that the encounters with our employee went to such an extent, but it is frustrating to be forced into a situation where you in essence have lost momentarily control over your property.