All reviewsstainless steelpool and hot tubgranolasmall boutiqueprivate compoundamazing showerhigh maintenancewine countryfresh pastriescontinental breakfastfluffy towelsknowledgeable staffnespresso machineshower areafrench bakeryluxury hotelthe main square
Reviewed July 9, 2006

I'd like to start this by saying I stayed at the Duchamp twice before and very much enjoyed my stay. It's a beautiful space - great modern design.

However, I recently booked a room at the Duchamp for my 40th Birthday. I invited friends from across the country to join me and we ended up together at the Duchamp - in all 6 cottages.

Upon check in and quite randomly, we were told not to move any of the furniture because the owner "doesn't like that". Later that afternoon, I asked if they would leave 12 small plates and forks out on a cafe table so that after dinner I could serve cake to my friends also staying there. I was told no, that they only have so many plates and that the housekeeper would have to come in early to clean them and continental breakfast would be delayed. I told her, as it was our group staying there, we didn't mind if the breakfast was late or we would be happy to wash them ourselves. I asked if she would check with the owner and was told that the owner said no, but that I could walk down the street and buy paper plates if I liked.

This was not the first cold response me or my guests had been given.

The next day, while sitting by the pool, I outdoor noticed speakers outside the lobby. I asked the woman at the desk if she would mind turning on the speakers. She said she didn't know how. I asked if there was anyone else on property that perhaps did. She said no. I asked her if she would call the owner to ask, and without turning around from her chair, she said no - he's hosting a dinner party and I don't want to disturb him. It was 3:30 in the afternoon. All this transpired without her ever turning to face me.

Frustrated, I asked for further clarification. I explained that I suggested the Duchamp to my friends staying there - we were spending well over $6000 that weekend - and that I was embarrassed at the total lack of service and extremely unfriendly attitude we had received.

She told me they "didn't like groups" and that the owner teaches them to be "aloof" to guests - that if she were to be freindly, the requests would never end. She said several guests had already made requests of her and that she was busy returning emails and doing bookeeping work - we were imposing on her time. She went on to tell me that my friends rooms were filthy, which they were not, and that none of the guests bothered to buy any of the wine that the owner had "thoughtfully" put out for sale. I explained that we were all spending a considerable amount of money to be there and that the service did not match the expectation or the room rate. She told me that's what all the hotels cost and it didn't matter to her as they were booked for the rest of the season, anyway. She went on to say this is a part-time job for her and that she wasn't here to serve us.

The conversation devolved from there and I left the office in a state of utter shock.

I have to add that my friends are very thoughtful, well traveled and professional people- one is a food writer for a major newspaper, another heads a major arts organization, another runs a PR firm, another heads HR for a major technology company, etc - we were nothing but gracious guests.

I was shocked and embarrassed at the way we were treated. Recommending the Duchamp is a mistake I will not make again.

• Stayed: June 2006
58  Thank Flyer18198
Management response:Responded July 17, 2006

Duchamp is an attractive and highly styled property offering overnight accomodations to people who cherish what we have to offer.We also are constantly approached to book our property for all sorts of special events. Most people offer to pay additional fees for such uses but some feel that renting all our cottages entitles them to use our propertty to any extent they like.Therefore we have long ago instituted a policy of not accepting reservations that book our facility for one parties use.If the reviewer would have been clear about his intention of having a Birthday celebration he never would have gotten a reservation. Instead all cottages were booked intentionally by individual parties without us having knowledge that this was one group.It is very unfortunate and regrettable that the encounters with our employee went to such an extent, but it is frustrating to be forced into a situation where you in essence have lost momentarily control over your property.

Reviewed June 13, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Duchamp for four nights on our honeymoon four years ago. If you are not comfortable with modern design, this place is probably not for you. But since we are, it was great. Cool furniture, plenty of space to spread out. Within walking distance of fantastic restaurants in Healdsburg. Minibar stocked to the gills in the room. However, we removed everything and returned it all to the front desk so we could put some of the delicious local wines, cheeses and meats in there.

My only complaint was what seemed to be a lumberyard next door that continually paged staff over the intercom during the day and making it a bit difficult to relax. Don't know if it is still there.

If you are interested in places like the Duchamp in Sonoma County, we also stayed at the Gage House Inn in Glen Ellen. A little more isolated, but still had cool modern design and access to good restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2003
6  Thank Escape16510
Reviewed May 20, 2006

I did not know this hotel was included in "Hip Hotels USA" when I booked, but I recommend that potential guests read about the DuChamp. This is NOT a hotel of room service and buzz. What it delivers is the luxury of space, quiet and a sense of solitude. You are able to unpack all of your luggage in the ample closets, the heated pool was 6 steps from our room, and the outdoor jacuzzi under the stars - again alone - wonderful after dinner. Compare this pool with the new luxury hotel across the street, Le Mars -- theirs looks like San Quentin, dark and fenced-in. The shower is great fun with 3 different nozzles on 2 walls. You can walk to all of the restaurants -- our best meal was at Dry Creek Kitchen. We are bikers and there is a great 22 mile circle around the vineyards -- the biking is less hazardous to your health than in St. Helena.

• Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank Resort36847
Reviewed May 17, 2006

If you like small, simple, swank, clean boutique hotels with a great continental breakfast, this place is perfect. If you are wine tasting you will have about a 40 min. drive to Calistoga, St.Helena, etc. but overall it's a great little place!

3  Thank sbeia
Reviewed March 30, 2006

After seeing the thumbs down for this hotel or B&B I had to write a review, something I've never done before. The Duchamp isn't for everyone that is for sure, but if you are looking for privacy, space and modern, non hotel feeling then this is the best. On arrival we weren't convinced but after a few days and a stay at the Hotel Healdsburg, we would definitiely stay at the Duchamnp again. It does have a bit of an "attitude" but it's worth it. After we moved to Hotel Healdsburg, which is a great hotel, we definitely found we missed the spaceous Duchamp and its relaxing,minimilist feel. For the same price at Hotel Headlsburg we found we had no room for all our stuff and in 15 minutes the room was a mess; at Duchamp everything had a place & you didn't have to sit around looking at a mess. Not to forget - the CDs are great & loved by all we have given them to. I do agree they could be more generous in discounts or service recovery when something goes wrong.

• Stayed: October 2005