“Eco-chic hotel in the heart of Healdsburg”
Review of H2 Hotel

H2 Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Healdsburg
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Singapore, Singapore
“Eco-chic hotel in the heart of Healdsburg”
Reviewed January 18, 2011

This lovely hotel is your perfect base for drinking, eating and shopping your way through Sonoma county. It is also within walking distance to a myriad of boutique shops and world class eateries, and a few minutes drive from the famed Dry Creek Valley.
The design of the hotel is gorgeous and rooms are well appointment to evoke a sense of calm and stillness. Staff were knowledgeable and extremely helpful when we asked for recommendations, in particular, Ross the Wine Director.
My only complain was that breakfast was slightly poor form and did not match up to other boutique hotels of this caliber. Fortunately, there is Flying Goat Coffee nearby to make up for that!

For my full review: http://jackisnotdull.com/2010/12/22/h2-hotel-healdsburg/

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Sebastopol, California
Reviewed January 3, 2011

High style modern design and detailing. Located close to shops and restaurants. It has its own high-end cocktail bar. Very comfortable beds and bedding. Not as expensive as its sister hotel down the street.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 2, 2011

We stayed at the H2 on our first trip to Healdsburg. If you're looking for a full service hotel, this isn't your spot. However, the rooms are eco-cool with open showers, a water bar (which I loved) and airy spaces. The beds and pillows are firm, but bedding is soft. The bathroom is spacious and lighting is bright and open. We ate at spoonbar one night and enjoyed the food. Continental breakfast features outstanding pastries, fresh granola, and bold coffee from flying goat (local). Rates are reasonable and chances are, you're going for the area (wine country), not the hotel amenities.

San Anselmo, CA
Reviewed December 30, 2010

After a rather lackluster stay earlier this year at the Hotel Healdsburg, my wife and I decided to give H2 a shot. We know one of the designers and were interested to see how they executed the eco-friendly luxury concept.

Not surprisingly, I found that H2 suffers from some of the same problems that the Hotel Healdsburg does - good-natured but poorly trained staff and a style-over-substance execution.

It started upon our arrival, as the valet parking person left us on the street without an explanation. Check-in was efficient, but I was pretty shocked that our "Junior Suite" really wasn't a junior suite at all. The room was small, and I think that the inclusion of a small sofa and coffee table is their idea of a junior suite. When I called the front desk to ask if that was really a junior suite, they confirmed that it was. I can't imagine how small the average room must be.

The king bed is actually two twin beds pushed together, with shared sheets but separate twin comforters. That didn't bother me much, although it creates a hard hump between the two sides of the bed. Linens were clean and comfortable. The bed was very soft, which was comfortable but caused me to wake up with a sore back. I don't normally have back problems, and I didn't suffer much after the morning creakiness but this is something to watch for those who need a firm mattress.

Two things that H2 does better than Hotel Healdsburg - better lighting (which can be an issue in eco-friendly hotels) and good hot water. The bathroom was very nice, with a 3-foot deep soaking tub and a separate shower. I'm not sure how eco-friendly that kind of water-hungry tub is, but I enjoyed it. The H2 also uses recyclable water bottles - there are filling stations in the hallway, which is a great idea.

On our first night, we asked the front desk clerk for dinner recommendations. Her two recommendations were both closed that night, something we didn't discover until we had walked in the rain to those restaurants. Furthermore, upon inquiring about the style of food served at one of her recommended restaurants, her response was vague and canned. This is a common theme at the Hotel Healdsburg and H2 - front desk staff simply aren't trained the way they need to be for this kind of luxury property. On our second night, we asked whether the hotel had ab umbrella that we could use to walk to a restaurant. The front desk clerk gave us some weird answer about how umbrellas are for sale at the Hotel Healdsburg. Turns out they didn't have umbrellas that we could borrow.

Similarly, yet surprisingly, front desk staff weren't helpful when it came to winery recommendations. In fact, they couldn't recommend ANY wineries. I know quite a few wineries in the area and was able to come up with my own itinerary, but it would have been great to learn about some hidden gems or new wineries. This is so simple.

While our room rate included continental breakfast from 6-10 AM (who gets up at 6 AM while on vacation?), we were told that we were pretty much out of luck when we arrived at 9:50 AM on the first day. Arriving at 9 AM the next day gave me access to some really nice pastries, granola, and yogurt, but the fruit selection was poor. The bananas looked to be a good two weeks past their prime, and there were absolutely no berries of any sort. Again, it wasn't the continental breakfast that one would expect to find at a luxury hotel in the wine country.

But the biggest problem was that we could hear the footsteps and other noises from the neighbors above us. There was so much noise from upstairs that we had to call the front desk to complain. It's really beyond my comprehension that a brand new luxury hotel could have this kind of problem. If we'd be staying more than 2 nights, I would have checked out early. It's not relaxing, especially when you're paying upwards of $250-$300 per night for an undersized junior suite.

My conclusion about Hotel Healdsburg and H2 is that they simply aren't very well-managed. Making sure that staff are trained and that the hotel offers amenities in line with its cost are incredibly basic. Perhaps the best example was on our last night, when we returned from dinner and found that the restaurant had set up a table in the hotel lounge area, right next to the hotel elevator. It was incredibly odd - and tacky. I could only conclude that no manager had seen this and, if they had, they simply didn't care enough to say, "hey - let's not do that."

With better management, H2 could be a premium property, with the good attitudes and intentions of its young staff transformed into stellar service. As of now, it's just not there.

6 Thank BradleyX
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 22, 2010

I am so glad we stayed here! I was so close to staying at the Vintner's Inn. At the last minute, my local friend who knows the area very well, recommended H2.

The best part of this hotel is the location ~ we were able to walk to Cyrus for dinner, ride bikes to 2 wineries (Simi and Seghesio) and sit curbside for the best people watching at the fabulous Spoonbar, which is right downstairs. Not only is the location great, the cleanliness and comfort of the rooms is 4 1/2 stars! I've stayed at some very nice hotels all over the world and I speak from experience, the beds & linens are sublime. The bathrooms are clean and the products smell wonderful. Walking around the quaint little village of Healdsburg felt like Italy. There are some wonderful shops and galleries but I'd say the restaurants are the show stoppers! Ravenous is in a charming little house and the food was good, the wine list was easy and short, the atmosphere was very dimly lit & romantic. We also ate at Cyrus, which was one of my top 5 dinners of all time, better than French Laundry and the wine pairing was such a great experience ~ tried wines I'd never have chosen for myself.

I can't say enough about this sweet little town and the H2 hotel ~ I will stay here again and I'm so glad we did not stay anywhere else! If you are thinking of staying here, keep in mind that the street side rooms are above the busy Spoonbar and naturally the noise from cars will seep into your room. Our room was on the fourth floor facing the courtyard, which I highly recommend because it was quiet and had a nice tiny balcony overlooking a chic little courtyard & garden. Oh and be sure to go to White Oak Winery, it's a gorgeous estate with yellow fragrant roses and water features plus they had fabulous Syrah. Happy Travels.

South San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Everything in this hotel is sustainable but the guests. Uncomfortable lobby seating, lackluster breakfast, cold rooms and cooler service. We paid an outrageous $99 for our 8 pound dog and were given nothing for him--no bowls, biscuits or blankets. With not accomodations for the pup, we had to let him sleep on the bed, something we've never done before (apologies to the next guest). The abundance of hard surfaces in the rooms created an institutional feeling. This was coupled with the lack of a bathtub, three square feet of bathroom counter, barely-there towels and lighting and not-quite-hot water. On a positive note the bath products were wonderful as were the bed linens. The dining room has all the grace of a airplane hanger and the adjacent Euro-style his/hers shared public bathroom is uncomfortable on every level.

1 Thank Vandyland
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Love the aesthetic and concept of this hotel. There are some parts where they sacrificed function for aesthetics (signage, bathroom sink/shower, lighting scheme, lounge seating) but overall once you get used to it it feels very homey.

It comes with free continental breakfast & free bike rentals, so it's easy to start your day feeling active and on the go.

Spoonbar is a wonderful restaurant with great tasting food and a hip vibe, and the cocktails are to die for. Definitely plan for a couple of evenings in the lounge or at Spoonbar and sample a few of these.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Healdsburg
Hotel Healdsburg
#7 of 9 in Healdsburg
Farmhouse Inn
Farmhouse Inn
#1 of 2 in Forestville

Been to H2 Hotel? Share your experiences!